Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,881

2 members and 2,879 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

GTP Ownership Questions

I'm interested in GTP ownership and am doing as much research as I can. I went to Repticon with a friend this past weekend and had no intentions of paying any mind to the snakes, but then I saw this small, yellow snake with random spots all over it. I curiously asked what it was and learned that it was called a green tree python because it turns green as an adult. I also heard a short conversation between my friend and the seller regarding the aggressiveness of the snakes. When I went home I thought nothing more of it. Then, I woke up the next morning and could not get it out of my head. Thus ensued hours of general research, reading, and looking at gorgeous pictures. Apparently, I've be converted.

My friend owns and breeds ball pythons, so I've learned a fair bit about their genetics and care by association and conversation. But everything I've read about GTP's seems rather inconclusive. I plan on getting the Complete Chondro. Are there other books that anyone would recommend?

Some specific questions that I am trying to answer are:
    What does a first time snake owner need to know?
    Is there a way to tell what color a GTP will be after it changes?
    Which breeds are less aggressive, or what is the best way to pick a non-aggressive snake?
    What is known about the genetics and breeding for specific markings/colors?

I doubt I will buy one in less than 6-12 months because of current leases not being pet-friendly and roommates generally being opposed to me having a snake. But, I am very interested in having such a gorgeous snake on display when I can. I also would like to have one young enough to watch the change, but I've read much caution in regard to younger snakes. Are there any ownership tips anyone can offer? Especially in regards to general care and display?

Also, I would want to eventually get into breeding. Which is why I’m so interested in the genetics side of things.

Don't worry. I won't be going out and buying a snake tomorrow thinking I can take care of it. I freely admit my naïveté, so any information is welcome.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    I don't think many people here will advocate a GTP as your first snake unless you have extensive experience with other reptiles. That said, if you're really, really serious and put the energy in - it is not impossible. The young GTPs are extremely physically fragile. Sorry I can't answer your other questions and GL!
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    I don't think many people here will advocate a GTP as your first snake unless you have extensive experience with other reptiles. That said, if you're really, really serious and put the energy in - it is not impossible. The young GTPs are extremely physically fragile. Sorry I can't answer your other questions and GL!
    This is good advice. And the complete chondro is praised as the best chondro book out there by many...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    Like us on FACEBOOK...
    www.facebook.com/zombiesmorphs

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Green tree pythons are not hard snakes to take care of. Once their basic requirements are met, they are as simple as any other snake. The problem is most people buy w.c. Babies and they die. I would not suggest you get a green tree as your first snake because they are fragile when it come to their requirements. Babies can dehydrate very easily, they should not be handled until they are around 12-18 months old(spines are very fragile). I would suggest read the more complete chondro 2-4 times(cover to cover) and check out moreliavidirs.yuku for a lot of Information. I met a few breaders their and that where i got my blue line neo from. GTP genetics are very different from ball pythons. There is no set on what you will produce, and what they will look like when they are adults.
    Tom

Ball Pythons
    Females: Poss. het albino (Angel),Albino (Corona),Pastel Lesser (Lila),Pinstripe Het Albino (Sandy), Pastel Pied (Pandora),
    Males: Black Pastel Het Albino (Diablo),Piebald (Atlas),Killerbee (King)

Morelia
    0.1 Jungle carpet python (Sage)
    0.0.1 Green tree python (Unknown)

Misc.
    0.1 Snow Corn (Roxy)
    0.1 Bearded dragon (Coral-Blood X Red/Citrus)
    1.0 Diamond Back Terrapin(Crush)

Thanks
    I, too, agree that a gtp is not the best first time reptile. But, I believe that with a lot of research, learning and some general experience with someone that owns a gtp, it is very possible.
    I own one gtp and don't know much on genetics ( or much about localities either ) as I really don't have any plans on breeding. My gtp has a rather large skin fold and I will not take the chance on it passing onto his offspring.
    Anyhoo, my is also not handled often since gtps are fragile, and he isn't the sweetest snake either
    Good luck on all your research and I hope you find the snake you are looking for.
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Yeah. GTPs aren't recommended as a first snake.
    They're a little more advanced than a ball python.

The variation of green, blues, whites, and yellows on an adult depend on the locale of the snake.
    For example, some people say that Biaks are more aggressive than the other locales. They' also have a lot of yellows.
    Arus tend to have a lot of blues and whites. etc etc.
    So depending on the locality of the snake, you can have a pretty good idea on what it will look like as an adult.

If you really do desire a GTP, I suggest getting a well established young adult first. That way their habits and tendencies are already known.
    Last edited by satomi325; 07-17-2012 at 04:14 PM.

Thanks
    Everyone knows their own limit. I would never presume to tell you that you can't handle a GTP as your first snake. In fact, with you doing the research you're doing and spending time talking to breeders and asking questions... You're the kind of person I would want to see get into these amazing animals. I have a corn snake. Will a corn snake teach me how to care for a GTP? Not really. She gives me an idea of what snakes are generally like, but since GTPs are so different, what experience she does give me is way off base from what I'd be dealing with with one of those green beauties.

So, research, ask questions, interact with them... A friend of mine is getting into breeding them and he gladly invites any serious buyers to come and interact with them. They aren't going to break if you hold them. However, they are more fragile than the stocky little ball pythons. So it's just an awareness thing. And being prepared.

Honestly... I have hermit crabs at home. People think they are simple pets. They have been the most difficult pet I've had. Why? Their set-up is intensely finicky, they are extremely delicate, their requirements are very unique and information on them is all over the chart. So what turned out to be a 'simple' pet is actually very tricky. But, I learned. I got the hang of it. I got familiar with their needs. And now my coloney is thriving. So don't let people discourage you with all these negative stories They aren't nearly as difficult as some animals to keep. They are unique, and something that will give you just the right amount of challenge.
    - Danielle

Snakes are just tails with faces....
    1.0 Pied BP, 1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 RAPTOR Leopard gecko, , 0.1 Desert Pin BP, 1.0 Albino BP, 0.1 Leachie Gecko

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vasiliki For This Useful Post:

Navy (07-27-2012),Wysteria (07-17-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I too would not recommend a gtp as a first snake. I love mine and wouldnt trade her but she can be a challenge. She was not my first snake. I do find her easy to care for but the hard part is dealing with her. Things like cleaning the tank or changing the water can be a struggle and you WILL get tagged as a gtp owner. I have pics on my profile of two of her kisses. They dont hurt, its just alittle prick. They will draw blood though. They do not have teeth like a tree boa but they do have needle like teeth that are a pretty good length for their size. If you have ever pricked you finger to test your blood suger I think a bite feels like that.

There is no way to tell what color the adult will turn out to be. And the marking can fade to match the body or stay and turn a different shade of green, yellow or even a beautiful blue. I hope I get some blue but I think mine is going to be alittle more yellow, she is starting to get yellow scales to come in.

As far as the most tame a Aru is said to be the one to get. As for the one people say are aggressive its a Biak. I have a Biak and she was really nippy when I got her. From what I have read and been told if you want to make sure you get a gtp that is tame, buy an already tame adult.

Mine is young(bout a year) but I do allow her to crawl out of her cage and perch on my hand. She is really curious and super active at night, which is a joy to watch. With several weeks of work she became pretty good at coming out with no to very few strikes and then once she is out she has been fine. She is still in no way like a bp and has her pissy days. Like now, she is in shed and strikes at everything.

I have not found any other good books on them and that is the one everyone says is a must read. I wish they would make a digital copy.

I dont know about breeding them cause at the momemt I have to ambition to do it.

As far as tips:
    I read not to deal with them at night because they go into hunting mode. With mine everytime I would deal with her during the day she was super pissy. I found that if I waited til she woke up and started moving about the cage she was very open to coming out and climbing on my hands.

I love her and love how she displays. I dont think you could have a better snake for display. As long as you are not worried about getting bit and putting work into a young one you will do fine.

KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Thanks

Thanks!

Everyone’s input is greatly appreciated. To the cautioners, I am fully aware that this is not something to take lightly. It will be 6-12 months before I am in a place where I CAN have one. That’s plenty of time to be dissuaded by facts.

It is the beauty of these snakes that attracts me to them, and would want it as a display animal. I have no idea if I would want to handle it regularly. However, I would like to know that I’m not going to be bitten every time my hand comes near it. From what I’ve read, temperament varies greatly among the varieties and each snake within can be different. Any tips on discerning this is welcome. Also, I would really love to get a snake young enough to watch the color change, but I want to know the pro’s and con’s. I’ve read many posts cautioning against getting a younger snake, but the information and rationale doesn’t seem complete. Also, the cost seems greater for adults... Is this generally true?

Thanks
    My friend, who has started breeding them, was answering similar questions to these when I was on the phone with him last. It seems a lot of what he has observed within his own collection, they were more 'defensive' than 'aggressive'. Very much a 'Leave me alone!' attitude. Aggressive is actively acting out against you, even if you aren't pressing it. Defensiveness is when you invade their space and they don't feel comfortable about it.

When they are in their cage, they are going to have moments where they are defensive. They don't want you to bother them. But apparently once they are removed from the spot they are 'defending' they tend to settle down moreso.

I had a bird like that before. Most 'aggressive' bird in her cage. Laid my hand right open before. But, once she was out, she was the sweetest, most adorable little thing.

Of course, I'm just going off of second hand information here and do not have experience myself. However, it does make sense. Snakes don't act out unless we present them with a stressful situation, or when we are seen as a threat or bothering them.

Another risk with young GTPs is how delicate they are. They are quite fragile, so that's a pro to the adults. But if you want to watch the color change, I don't see how that is a problem. Especially since you are expressing wanting more of a display animal than anything.
    - Danielle

Snakes are just tails with faces....
    1.0 Pied BP, 1.0 Crested Gecko, 1.0 RAPTOR Leopard gecko, , 0.1 Desert Pin BP, 1.0 Albino BP, 0.1 Leachie Gecko

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast