Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,823

1 members and 2,822 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: The 6th most dangerous dog breed...

Quote Originally Posted by KTyne View Post
    Agreed... although there are a lot of people that give these dogs bad names. I mean, Chihuahuas probably bite more people than a Doberman does... the big dog just causes more damage.
    Funny you should say that, I have a Chihuahua and he has bitten! The kids sort of deserved it since I told them not to pester him and they did anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by KatStoverReptiles View Post
    I have to say: I am one of 'those' people. I have a prejudice against...cocker spaniels!! Lol!! When I was growing up (before I had a dog), my friend had one and that was THE MEANEST dog! Just plain mean and vicious!

In all seriousness though...I don't hold all cockers accountable for that dog's personality. It does cross my mind every time I see one though.

My brother and his wife have a pit. She's probably pushing 90lbs. The most dangerous part of her is seriously her tail. That whip will take you out! Lol And maybe she'd be dangerous to someone who was allergic to dog slobber! Lol

I have 2 beagles and one time I had them in petsmart. Some lady jerked her kid away from petting them saying they didn't have souls because they were hunting dogs! I had no quick, witty response because I was just so dumbfounded! People!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will admit I'm afraid of Chows! I have been bit by every chow I have ever met, granted that's only a handful, but I don't trust those dogs. Maybe it's bad breeding, bad owners, I don't know, but the owners all said, oh he/she is nice, they won't bite.... So needless to say I don't pet chows anymore! I don't mind them as long as the owner has them under control, but I'm still going to keep my hands to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RobNJ View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wapadi View Post
    Here is our American Bulldog, Kimber being a very patient babysitter to our mini dachshund and our friends MinPin. Poor mean dog......

and her destroying a rope toy...grrrrrrrrrrrr
    Aww poor baby, I'm not sure she enjoys babysitting, lol

Quote Originally Posted by M&H View Post
    Princess Delilah

She knew she wasn't suppose to be on the couch lol

I LOVE it!!! She is too cute!!!

Thanks

Here is a pic of my vicious Boxer girl - LOL. She is all tucked in and ready for bed. God I miss her - she had to be put down last June due to cancer.

Not a mean bone in her body!!!!

L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to L.West For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts
    The only dangerous dogs are the the entire toy/teacup class. Ruining the genetics of our large breed dogs!

But, seriously, it's the owners that are dangerous to the dogs psyche. I read a picture back a while, that said:

In the 70s it was the Doberman.
    In the 80s it was GSDs
    In the 90s it was (something)
    In the 2000s it's Pitts.
    What's next?

I thought it was cute, I didn't get all the info correct but you get the idea.

I'm a fan of GSDs, personally, but all large breeds have a place in my heart. Small/toy breeds just...don't have a point. What can A pug do? Look really ugly at intruders? Haha.

Browsing on Tapatalk from my iPhone

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kodieh For This Useful Post:

Coleslaw007 (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    I'm not sure if wolfdogs were on this "most dangerous dogs" list, but it wouldn't surprise me. It never ceases to amaze me how many people have completely inaccurate data and beliefs on them. While they are definitely NOT a dog for everyone, with the right owner and training, they make wonderful companions. I do know that my Kira would definitely not be helpful in a "protect me" situation. The wolf side of her tells her to flee in the face of impending danger.

Howling. Notice the cat in the background is not impressed.

Yeah....not...that...dangerous.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PyramidPythons For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (07-05-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Becca Granger View Post
    I'm not sure if wolfdogs were on this "most dangerous dogs" list, but it wouldn't surprise me. It never ceases to amaze me how many people have completely inaccurate data and beliefs on them. While they are definitely NOT a dog for everyone, with the right owner and training, they make wonderful companions. I do know that my Kira would definitely not be helpful in a "protect me" situation. The wolf side of her tells her to flee in the face of impending danger.

Howling. Notice the cat in the background is not impressed.

Yeah....not...that...dangerous.
    Your wolfdog is absolutely gorgeous! I love them, the pattern is so pretty!

Thanks

"My dog wouldn't hurt a flea", "Not a mean bone in it's body", "It's never even barked or growled at anyone" that's part of the mentality that put these breeds where they are today. Regardless of the fact that a dog has ever bitten or shown any aggression, none of that changes the fact that they have the Potential to do serious harm. Some more so than others making them dangerous breeds.

Of course most adults or anyone with size on them, may not be too worried about being chased by an aggressive malty or chi. But switch that to a larger breed and you change the game completely.

Their potential is what people get complacent about and down play, until something happens. By then it's too late, what's done is done. Then you have one side that blames the dog while the other blames the owner.

I LOVE my bully breeds, would never be with out at least one as long as I can help it. But I don't sleep on the fact that they have the Potential to do some serious harm. Whether they have shown aggression or not that Potential is Always There.

@ Kodieh, the 90's was Rottweilers

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bubblz For This Useful Post:

Argentra (01-08-2013),bad-one (07-05-2012),pookie! (06-28-2012)

Thanks
    That's it! I love rottie's, they're my second favorite breed behind GSD.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kodieh View Post
    Your wolfdog is absolutely gorgeous! I love them, the pattern is so pretty!
    Thanks! She is really starting to change colors now and is lightening up considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by bubblz View Post
    ...Regardless of the fact that a dog has ever bitten or shown any aggression, none of that changes the fact that they have the Potential to do serious harm. Some more so than others making them dangerous breeds.... Whether they have shown aggression or not that Potential is Always There.
    I agree with you. While Kira has never shown any signs of aggression, I would NEVER ever leave her alone with anyone except for my hubby. She may not be a huge wolfdog (in fact, she's rather small for a wolfdog), but she has some of the sharpest teeth I've ever seen and I know she could do serious injury before I could ever hope to stop her. Being a responsible pet owner includes knowing the dangers of your companion and avoiding them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PyramidPythons For This Useful Post:

pookie! (06-28-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kodieh View Post
    The only dangerous dogs are the the entire toy/teacup class. Ruining the genetics of our large breed dogs!

But, seriously, it's the owners that are dangerous to the dogs psyche. I read a picture back a while, that said:

In the 70s it was the Doberman.
    In the 80s it was GSDs
    In the 90s it was (something)
    In the 2000s it's Pitts.
    What's next?

I thought it was cute, I didn't get all the info correct but you get the idea.

I'm a fan of GSDs, personally, but all large breeds have a place in my heart. Small/toy breeds just...don't have a point. What can A pug do? Look really ugly at intruders? Haha.

In the 90s it was Rottweilers.

I've had Dobermanns since the 70s and have lived through all of this idiotic 'killer breed' crap.

[if I had a dollar for every idiot who thought they were clever by quipping "They only kill their masters" I'd be rich. If they'd ever actually watched that movie, they'd know the Dobe was the -hero-]

It's not the dogs, it's the owners.

Barring some undiagnosed/untreated physical issue which literally affects the dog's brain such, as Lyme or Ehrlichia, there is no 'vicious breed' which cannot be properly socialized and trained to become a model canine citizen.

The bigger problem is novice owners buying breeds without researching the original purpose of the dog.
    An inappropriate lifestyle can cause major problems with a dog.
    Who hasn't heard stories of house-bound Border Collies tearing everything to shreds because they were created to be constantly in motion, tending their flock rather than sitting for hours alone in a cramped room?
    Dachshunds who constanly dig holes in the yard because they're supposed to be hunting vermin in their underground dens?
    Every breed has a specific purpose, even the 'toy' breeds who were are created to be 'lap dogs', even though it's not really much of a purpose.
    Huskies/Malamutes/all Spitz derived breeds were created to be autonomous and tireless in their 'profession'.
    They do not excel as 'apartment dogs'.
    They are working dogs who need to have a job to be happy.
    Even happy-silly Labs can become destructive when deprived of proper stimulation and focus.
    The excel as guide dogs precisely because of that trait; they are focused 24/7 on their job, which is caring for their person.
    Someone mentioned not liking Chows.
    Chows were bred as draught animals and food.
    They weren't created to be fuzzy, huggy pets.
    They are, by nature, aloof, independent and not terribly long on patience.
    [they also tend to 'act out' due to masked pain caused by their extremely straight hocks show breeders have created for 'fashion']

Bottom line is, buy a breed based solely on your experience level with dogs.
    Just as you would not buy a 16 year old kid a Porsche Carrera, you shouldn't buy a Beauceron or Catahoula as your 'first dog'.
    You are begging for trouble.

My second Dobe was a "man stopper".
    [ie, he would take out a human who attacked me]
    Paradoxically, the 'safest' dogs are those who have been protection trained.
    They have on/off switches and only react to their handler's commands rather than their own whims.

Now that the Pits and vaguely defined "Pit types" are being outlawed everywhere, the next targets will the rest of the Masitff-based breeds like Dogue de Bordeaux, Fila Brasileros, Mastiffs, etc.

Once they're outlawed, they'll move down to the 'next most scary breed' on 'the list'...ad infinitum.

This is nothing more and nothing less than a concerted effort by animal rights wackos to eradicate dog ownership.

It's a fiendishly brilliant plan, actually.

Who could possibly be against banning any breed of dog who has 'killed babies'?

If you defend that breed, you're accused of being heartless and crazy because it seems like you value the life of a dog over that of a child.
    [what kind of monster are you?!?]

That kind of Alinsky-esque tactic is very effective because it plays upon the feeeeeelings of the uninformed masses rather than presenting cold, hard facts.

[case in point, the heart wrenching abused animal commercials put out by the HSUS...and organization that does not and has not ever rescued or adopted out one single animal]

Most people are pathetically easy to emotionally manipulate.

The nastiest argument you'll ever be in is one in which your opponent is an animal rights kook.
    Heaven forfend you hit them with hard facts and statistics...they can and will get violent.

They are like a misguided, seriously dangerous cult....and you are the 'infidel' if you dare to dispute their dogma.

But, as snake owners, I'm sure you all aready know how "the plan" works.

First, they come for the Burms.....

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Salamander Rising For This Useful Post:

Coleslaw007 (07-05-2012),pookie! (06-28-2012)

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Wow I can't believe that huskies are on that list. Sure they are strong minded and want to do things their way... But so does my girlfriend, and I wouldn't consider her dangerous lol

Huskies have to be one of the friendliest dog breeds. I would trust a husky around a newborn far more than I would trust any breed of small dogs.

They are pack dogs and will protect their pack if necessary. Isn't that one of the reasons why dogs were domistacated in the first place? People need to remember what dogs were before they were in every house... Hunting dogs or security dogs.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 06-27-2012 at 05:00 PM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast