Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,260

1 members and 1,259 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Everyone is so FIRM!!

I notice on ball python classifieds that everyone is so FIRM!!! and not willing to negotiate a deal, or at least somewhat close to one. Why is this? In a market where there's so many of the same morphs available you'd think prices would be a little more competitive. So I'm just curious as to why? I understand your not going to budge that much but maybe it's just how I was raised.. Always making deals and also looking for the best deal... Whats your opinion on this all? Also, do you know a decent breeder who is cool to deal with and has some wiggle room every now and again?
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Pastel 100% Double Het Clown Pied
    0.1 Pastel 100% Het Pied

Thanks

Re: Everyone is so FIRM!!

Quote Originally Posted by domenge View Post
    I notice on ball python classifieds that everyone is so FIRM!!! and not willing to negotiate a deal, or at least somewhat close to one. Why is this? In a market where there's so many of the same morphs available you'd think prices would be a little more competitive. So I'm just curious as to why? I understand your not going to budge that much but maybe it's just how I was raised.. Always making deals and also looking for the best deal... Whats your opinion on this all? Also, do you know a decent breeder who is cool to deal with and has some wiggle room every now and again?
    really what you do is try to wheel and deal and if they dont just say ok i will take my money elsewhere. not your problem but theirs. because someone will deal.
    Last edited by tcutting; 06-12-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Normal Het Orange Ghost Ball Python
    0.1 Mojave Ball python
    0.1 Orange Ghost Ball python
    0.1 Orange Ghost Het Caramel Ball python
    0.1 Spotted Python
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tcutting For This Useful Post:

Mft62485 (06-17-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tcutting View Post
    really what you do is try to wheel and deal and if they dont just say ok i will take my money elsewhere. not your problem but theirs. because someone will deal.
    Right, that's what I'm talking about. Usually you always do find someone to wheel and deal but they're few and far between.
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Pastel 100% Double Het Clown Pied
    0.1 Pastel 100% Het Pied

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by domenge View Post
    Right, that's what I'm talking about. Usually you always do find someone to wheel and deal but they're few and far between.
    i had a great experience with Action reptiles. I was able to make a good deal with them for my OG. the people for it are out there just gotta hold out for the morph you are looking for and really ask around.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Normal Het Orange Ghost Ball Python
    0.1 Mojave Ball python
    0.1 Orange Ghost Ball python
    0.1 Orange Ghost Het Caramel Ball python
    0.1 Spotted Python
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python

Thanks
    VMS has never wiggled on their prices for me at all and I have purchased from them multiple times. Otherwise, I have NEVER had a herp breeder/dealer not budge when I have brought up the issue. I usually end up paying 10% less that what was asked, whether it be knocking off a bit for buying multiple animals, insisting that the breeder pay for shipping, etc. People may say firm but when they see you and your money start to walk away that will usually trigger a response of some sort.
    Bruce
    Top Shelf Herps
    1.0 Pastel (Gypsos)
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pinstripe (B-Dub)
    1.0 Sable het Hypo (Flat Top)
    1.0 Lesser Platinum (Sean2)
    1.1 Lemonback (Einstein.Elsa)
    0.1 Pied (unnamed)
    0.1 Pinstripe het Hypo (Chopper)
    0.1 het VPI Axanthic (Vanilla)
    0.1 Spider 50% het VPI Axanthic (Serine)
    0.1 Hypo (Bella)
    0.1 het Hypo (Hooker)
    0.1 Cinnamon (Nutmeg)
    0.1 Normal (Jane)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Give an example and Id be able to tell you whether or not i agree with you...

I always try and haggle a bit or work out a deal, but if i already know its a good price or if im friends with the seller then i usually wont try to haggle with them because i already know theyre hooking me up.

But if youre offering like $200 for a female lesser then i would be insulted too lol. Thats why i said you gotta give an example. No names though, no need for them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts
    To me it just depends on the situation.

See, these guys who post a lot on Kingsnake and such get a lot of really low-ball offers and offers from people who have no intention of actually buying the animal. After a while it gets old, and thus the refusal to make a deal.

I have found if you are sincere about a particular animal and start a conversation with the seller, sometimes you can negotiate a deal. But if you start out by asking for a lower price, you'll usually get ignored.

For example you find a really nice let's say Firefly female. The seller is asking an average market price for her and says his price is firm. You contact the seller and ask the intelligent questions. What does she eat ? When do you feed ? When did she hatch ? What is your shipping policy ? What forms of payment do you accept ? Tell the seller why you are interested in his animal instead of a different seller's animal, be honest.

Once you get a good conversation going, ask what the price with shipping was again. Sometimes the seller may quote you the advertised price, and offer a shipping discount. Sometimes the seller may agree to come down a smidgen on the price if they feel you are serious. Sometimes they won't.

But ask yourself this, if you posted one of your own snakes, for what you knew was a very reasonable price, and all you got were 25 emails a day offering you less than 1/4th of the snakes value, how likely would you be to want to discount right off the bat ?

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to angllady2 For This Useful Post:

Anatopism (06-12-2012),coolballsdave (06-12-2012),domenge (06-12-2012),Dracoluna (06-24-2012),heathers*bps (06-12-2012),Inarikins (06-12-2012),Mft62485 (06-17-2012)

Thanks

If you're constantly seeking "the deal", my opinion is that you're not really looking for the best animals available, which will only lead to you producing even less quality animals down the road, contributing further to the watering down of quality ball pythons.

That being said, try buying from a reputable breeder that produces animals to your liking. Chances are, as a repeat customer, you may get a sweeter deal than your first purchase with that person. Not all work this way, but many do.

11. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to RobNJ For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

heathers*bps (06-12-2012),Inarikins (06-12-2012),Inknsteel (06-12-2012),Jyson (06-17-2012),Mft62485 (06-17-2012),mikel81 (06-12-2012),rabernet (06-12-2012),Royal Hijinx (06-12-2012),snakesRkewl (06-12-2012),Stewart_Reptiles (06-12-2012),The Serpent Merchant (06-12-2012),Wapadi (06-12-2012),Wes (06-12-2012)

Thanks
    Did you negotiate the best reasonable offer? I usually find what the average market price is for a certain morph and have them match it and even ask for additional 15% off...I usually have the money up front and could make the full payment. Some people are tight on money so they are more than willing to accept my offer if I paid in full. It works for me! Just be nice about it too! Lol.
    Ball Pythons are like Pokémon. Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Thanks
    I would say it all depends on who your working with.
    A great company I've worked with recently has been Exotics by Nature. They are MORE than willing to get me what I want and at a great price. Truly awesome guys over there. I've got a bp from someone on fauna and they threw in a freebie male. It really depends on who you work with. Maybe you just havnt found a flexible person yet.

I agree though that a deal shouldnt be in your mind all the time. Bps are NOT cheap. And quailty wont be cheap. Depending on what morphs your working with it can be very insulting to the breeder if you low ball them. I'm all about giving on deal on my bps I sell but if your offering $300 under my asking price, thats a bit much. (as an example)
    My name is Adriane
    Welcome to the Jungle
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Banana Pied Ball Python
    2.0 Boston Terriers
    0.2 Buggs

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast