Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,852

4 members and 2,848 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Early pipping/ future issues?

That's the basis of my question here; can early pipping cause development problems or affect how the hatchlings color comes in after it hatches and grows?
    And is there anybody who has images related to this, ex: babies that pipped too early and ended up looking different than its siblings because of it?
    0.1 GHI Mojave
    0.1 Super special h scaleless
    0.1 Desert ghost
    1.0 WC Dinker

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Why would a baby pip it's egg early?

Unless of course you mean artificial pipping that everybody seems to love to do? GET OUT THE SCISSORS IT'S DAY 52!!!!

Personally I don't cut eggs so I have nothing to really say on the subject, other than it might be helpful to have clarification on what you mean by early pipping.

Thanks
    Well yes of course I mean artificial pipping,cutting or what have you. I'm sure on its own a hatchling wouldn't pip early.
    Has anyone pipped an egg too early and it had an affect on the hatchlings' appearance or growth?
    0.1 GHI Mojave
    0.1 Desert ghost
    1.0 WC Dinker

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts
    Pipping means they bat hat hatched on their own. Cutting early can, but not always, lead to all kinds of problems even death. A sealed egg is bacteria free a cut egg is not. The most common problem is probably unabsorbed yolk.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to West Coast Jungle For This Useful Post:

REBELLMORPH (01-13-2013)

Thanks
    I'm only asking this based on a clutch I hatched last year, All the babies ended up hatching just fine but there was one egg that I accidentally knocked a thermometer on and it tore a hole into it. It happened on day 45 so there was a good bit of time where that egg was open/exposed before the rest, tho it hadn't pipped yet. Most of the clutch I still have in my collection and that one baby has a different color than the rest of the hatchlings. Even as everyone is in the 200g range some close to 300.

This hatchlings color is off ,I'd like to think it as genetic given that the sire is somewhat the same color, although I didn't have the benefit of seen the sire as a hatchling,they do have similarities, but given that the hatchling's egg was opened a solid week+ before everyone else started to pip makes me think its color may have been caused because of that. I'd just like to know has anyone else ever had any hatchling who's appearance was affected by the egg being opened to early or does that really have no affect on color development?
    0.1 GHI Mojave
    0.1 Desert ghost
    1.0 WC Dinker