Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,057

1 members and 3,056 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

~!~Quick heater question~!~

I just got a 1 year old normal bp. It's about 3 feet long and I have it in a 41 quart sterilite tub. Its in there with a hide and a water bowl. I know I need a heater but I have no idea what size I need. My local reptile store only has a ZooMed 4 watt 4"x5" heater. I don't feel like that would produce enough heat but Idk, will that be ok for it??? Ambient temp in my home is usually about 72-73 degrees.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    A 4x5 might be a little small for a 41qt tub, but I think it would probably produce enough heat. Alternatively, you could pick up a heat pad from a pet store, or order some flexwatt heat tape online. With any heat source you use you must use it with a thermostat to keep the temperatures controlled and constant.

Not to mention you also need to have an accurate thermometer to be sure the thermostat is doing what it should be.
    Last edited by Kaorte; 05-23-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    I would go with an 11" heat mat and put him in a warmer area of the house. UTH do not help a great deal with ambient temps. Also, you MUST have your heat mat hooked up to a thermostat. Heat mats can easily exceed 130 degrees, which is hot enough to not only burn your snake, but can kill it. Snakes aren't like a dog which will move away from a heat source, they are cold blooded and not entirely bright and will lay on a heat source hot enough to harm them and not move.

Thanks

Re: ~!~Quick heater question~!~

Upstairs it is usually a hair warmer, by maybe 2 degrees or so. If I put the snake up there and got him the 4 watt heater with a thermostat do you think it would work? I don't have any heat for him AT ALL right now so I'm somewhat desperate to get some heat to him, then again I hate to go buy that heater from them (which is already overpriced) just to turn around and have to order another one.
    Last edited by Hellacious; 05-23-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Thanks
    The heat mat alone won't help much with the ambient temps. You really wanna shoot for 78-82 degrees ambient temp and a warm spot about 88-92 degrees. 72-73 degrees ambient temps can easily cause a RI or worse in no time. That little 4x5" heat mat isn't really gunna cut it in the long run, either. Even if you get the little heat mat today, you will still NEED a thermostat before using it, which you'll end up having to order online as well. I swear by Spyder Robotics Herpstats, but I understand they are a little expensive if you're on a budget. At the very least you should get a Hydrofarm thermostat. You can get them on Amazon.com for about $30. For just one ball python they work good enough to at least keep your heat mat at a safe temperature.

This is why we always recommend getting everything completely set up before you get your snake so you can work out all the little kinks and stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    For now, put some hot water into water bottles. Put those water bottles into socks or wrap them in a small towel, then put it into your snake's enclosure. This helps in a pinch since you don't have any heat at all.
    It's definitely better than nothing.

You can get a big heat mat from a petstore now and temporarily regulate it w/ a lamp dimmer or rheostat. The dimmer/rheostat will help keep the heat mat at a safe temperature while you order and wait for the thermostat. And I don't recommend using a dimmer/rheostat for long term use. They aren't reliable.
    Last edited by satomi325; 05-23-2012 at 07:22 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

AK907 (05-23-2012)

Thanks
    Only thing I can do for now is put him in one of the smaller attics. Stays about 85 degrees in there, now that I think of it itd be the perfect lil snake room. Hopefully that will be ok for him till his heat mat arrives. Thanks.

Thanks
    Ok, got that hydrofarm thermostat coming. Now as for the heater. You said an 11" heater AK. Exo terra has an 8w 11" x 10" and ZooMed has a 16w 12" x 8". Is one of these brands better than the other? 8w or 16w?