Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,025

1 members and 3,024 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Baby duck are a 10lb sack of cute!
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (05-20-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Re: Share your fowl pics

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
    I'd love to see some pics, and chickens are great pets. They pay for them selfs and can even make you a buck or 2 if you have enough in selling the eggs. I also raise meat birds but don't consider them pets cause I can't eat my pets. Yes, rooster crows can be annoying too. But I've come to enjoy it.
    I sorta worded that poorly lol, bc chickens obviously dont crow like roosters
    My stepdad built my dog a really nice dog house when we first got her, roughly 4'x4' and she has never once stepped inside it lol. Shes now 13. Shes an inside dog anyways so who knows what he was thinking . Anyways do you think, if it was modified a bit, that it could make a good house for some chickens? Im thinking it would be perfect and have been trying to convince him for awhile. I have plenty of family/friends that would gladly take any extra eggs we got! Eggs are getting pretty expensive so the chickens could probably pay for themselves within a year i would think.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike41793 View Post
    I sorta worded that poorly lol, bc chickens obviously dont crow like roosters
    My stepdad built my dog a really nice dog house when we first got her, roughly 4'x4' and she has never once stepped inside it lol. Shes now 13. Shes an inside dog anyways so who knows what he was thinking . Anyways do you think, if it was modified a bit, that it could make a good house for some chickens? Im thinking it would be perfect and have been trying to convince him for awhile. I have plenty of family/friends that would gladly take any extra eggs we got! Eggs are getting pretty expensive so the chickens could probably pay for themselves within a year i would think.
    I would say yes, the dog house could probably easily modified to house 4 hens comfortably as long as they able to free range during the day. Chickens need about 4 sq ft per bird if allowed to free range and a minimum of 10 sq ft if penned up all the time. With 4 birds during their peek laying you can expect an egg a day per bird, so a dozen every 3 days. At $2 a dozen you could pay for their food easily every month plus several for you, your family, and maybe even your neighbors if you like. If you have any more questions please ask I love me some chicken talk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12