Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,918

0 members and 1,918 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,214 Posts

Genetic Stripes loosing value to super stripes?

A friend who sort of mentors us on the hobby advised us to stay away from the G-stripes because they are quickly loosing value since everyone now wants the co-dom combo super stripe and they are so similar.

We had been planning to purchase a male super pastel butter in the fall to put to most of our still growing girls when they are ready.

Then I saw pics of the pastel butter G-stripe and fell in love. (They make me think of chipmunks!!! ) We've since been considering getting either a super pastel butter het G-stripe or possibly a pastel butter G-stripe (Visual. Expensive, I know) and adding a female pastel G-stripe but after his advice I'm unsure if it would be a smart move.

So in everyone's opinion, will the super stripe phase out the demand for the G-stripe in the future?
    Balls:
    *0.1 Mojave *0.1 Pinstripe *0.1 Bumblebee *1.0 Super pastel butter *1.0 Mojave orange ghost *0.3 100% het orange ghosts *0.1 Pastel 50% het orange ghost *1.1 PE Lemonback fires *1.0 Fire *0.1 Pastel *1.0 Albino *0.1 Spider 100% het albino
    Other critters:
    *1.0 Anery motley corn *G. rosea tarantula *G. pulchripes *P. metallica *0.0.2 A. versicolor *C. cyaneopubescens *A. geniculata *B. smithi *B. boehmei *Nhandu chromatus *H. maculata *C. marshalli *1.0 Australian shepherd mix

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts
    The G-stripe has already lost that battle. A SS commands a much higher price than a G-Stripe.

I think they are both great projects, and both have a ton left that can be done with them.

Since SS requires 2 genes, it is just as hard to make as a G-Stripe, but the G-stripe cannot hang right now with the popularity of the YB complex in general.

One does not phase out the need for the other at all since there ARE differences in their respective appearances.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,912 Times in 971 Posts

Re: Genetic Stripes loosing value to super stripes?

That theory doesn't make any since...A Super Stripe is not a Combo and can't reproduce itself!

The process of making Super Stripes or G. Stripes is no different of a time line...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coldbloodaddict For This Useful Post:

KingPythons (05-16-2012)

Thanks

For me it's just personal preference, do you like the clean look of a G or a little more pattern activity with SS. Both different and have their own place in the Bp world. I think the major difference is picking out the Spectors to make SS. Most people know a YB when they see one Spector not so much.

If anything I'm waiting to see the Tri Stripe combos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bubblz View Post
    Most people know a YB when they see one Spector not so much.

based on a lot of the posts I can disagree with the statement about IDing YB
    the benefit with the super stripe is that you do get 2 visual morphs rather than hets.
    Last edited by Dragoon; 05-16-2012 at 05:21 PM.
    iHerp profile
    Check out my reptiles on the iherp link above or FB below
    Rhacosaurus Gex

Thanks
    Both are visually very cool, to me. I love the G Stripe, and the G Stripe combos.

Economically though, they are a disaster. Demand, and therefore price, for the G Stripe stuff is so so soft. It always has been.

If you are looking to get into G Stripes because you visually enjoy them, go for it! But if you are looking at getting into G Stripes as a breeding project to sell, I would go in a different direction.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Robyn@SYR For This Useful Post:

AGoldReptiles (05-18-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,789 Times in 1,214 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn@SYR View Post
    Both are visually very cool, to me. I love the G Stripe, and the G Stripe combos.

Economically though, they are a disaster. Demand, and therefore price, for the G Stripe stuff is so so soft. It always has been.

If you are looking to get into G Stripes because you visually enjoy them, go for it! But if you are looking at getting into G Stripes as a breeding project to sell, I would go in a different direction.
    Well I do love them and I'm not into this hobby for money as much as enjoyment. That said however, I do want to try to focus on taking it in a direction that would be more financially sensible at least while I'm still starting out.

I just really need to ensure that the hobby can pay for itself so until I've made back my original money and used money made from breedings to further things along I want to try to keep myself thinking smart money-wise with my additions. So maybe I'll get my G-stripes in the future, but not quite yet

Thanks guys!
    Balls:
    *0.1 Mojave *0.1 Pinstripe *0.1 Bumblebee *1.0 Super pastel butter *1.0 Mojave orange ghost *0.3 100% het orange ghosts *0.1 Pastel 50% het orange ghost *1.1 PE Lemonback fires *1.0 Fire *0.1 Pastel *1.0 Albino *0.1 Spider 100% het albino
    Other critters:
    *1.0 Anery motley corn *G. rosea tarantula *G. pulchripes *P. metallica *0.0.2 A. versicolor *C. cyaneopubescens *A. geniculata *B. smithi *B. boehmei *Nhandu chromatus *H. maculata *C. marshalli *1.0 Australian shepherd mix

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

why not buying a specter female and a pastel lesser yellow belly male. im sure hed do great with the rest of ur females too and a pastel butter super stripe will probably look a bit like the pastel butter g stripe

although i really dig that combo too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn@SYR View Post

Robyn, I'm not sure why you think genetic stripes are an economical disaster ? I have produced some nice genetic stripe combos, and sold them for good prices. I'll produce more this year, and I'm sure that they will sell as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that the superstripe, puma, and highway are a lot newer than the genetic stripe, so of course they are priced higher.

There is certainly room for both projects. I also have a superstripe complex group that I'm raising up. I'm sure if I make some nice looking animals from them that they will sell too.

Here are some genetic stripe combo pics, just for fun:

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jluman For This Useful Post:

coldbloodaddict (05-19-2012),Exotic Ectotherms (06-18-2012),FIREball (05-18-2012),Wapadi (05-18-2012)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    hell im still raising up hets for genetic stripe just because i like them. (and they were free) but genetic stripes lost their value in part to the vast array of dom and co dom stuff that came out at the time the genetic stripe stuff should have been taking off. everyone wants instant gratification these days. my buddy didnt want to deal with recessives at all. some are that way. i like the g-stripes i will be picking up some new genes this year im sure. they sell just not for very much
    adam jeffery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast