Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,005

3 members and 3,002 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Healing Upper Respiratory Infection With F10 Nebulization?

I was watching snakebytes TV, and check out this link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJCnPfuqaBM&t=2m50s

They said that they nebulize their snakes with F10 veterinary disinfectant.

I have F10, and apparently it is noncorrosive when it's at the proper dilution. In its concentrated form it is corrosive, according to the paperwork I have for it.

What are your thoughts about this treatment? Do you think it would work to clear out a respiratory infection? Do you think it is safe?

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    I have seen people do this, and it works to some extent. But I would only trust it on a very minor case or as a step to take if I am not able to get to my reptile vet immediately.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Personally, I would get antibiotics from my vet to treat a respiratory infection.

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Re: Healing Upper Respiratory Infection With F10 Nebulization?

I would agree that taking your python to the vet right away would be a problem-solver, but could this be a good solution for anyone that doesn't have a good exotics vet close by, or maybe a first resort to see if it solves the issue?

Personally, I trust BHB because as a newbie I have gotten so much good info from them.

However, I don't really see how breathing in a disinfectant can be good for your snakes.

I wonder if anyone on here has experience with this method.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    What does a disinfectant do but kill bacteria? it might not be the most pleasant thing, but is it any different from antibiotics? F10 is safe to use around animals, and breaks down into harmless compounds so it really shouldn't do any damage. I would give it a shot, but it in no way can replace a good vet.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts
    I've been seeing F10 being mentioned more and more recently. Good luck getting the straight dope...it's just a lot of "it's great" "it sucks" "it works" "it doesn't work" "you can only use it for this" "you can only use it for that" blah, blah, blah...

It's almost like asking "is this a Pastel?"

lol...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:

Slim (05-15-2012),Valentine Pirate (05-15-2012)

Thanks
    I have 2 cases of ri right now my mojave that is pretty bad hes on bytril and f-10 and a normal that isn't so bad is just on f-10. Its been a week for mojave on bytril plus f-10 and i think hes doing ok he still has all the signs of an ri but hes not getting worse. And the normal that is just on f-10 has gotten worse. So im not so sold on just f-10 working just yet but the normal has only been on this treatment for three days now im going to give it four more days to make it a week then bring her to the vet if it doesnt show signs of getting better. Both of them are eating also so i think thats a good sign. I think the product is safe but effective i cant say...
    Last edited by oskyle1567; 05-15-2012 at 07:34 AM.
    Lizards
    1.0 Ornate Uromastyx "Reptar"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to oskyle1567 For This Useful Post:

sharkrocket (05-15-2012)

Thanks

Re: Healing Upper Respiratory Infection With F10 Nebulization?

Would I? Nope, not unless it's under my vet's watchful eye and advice. When it gets to the time I'm too cheap or too lax to take my aniamls to the vet when they're sick, as a child should be taken to the doctor when they're ill, I'll give them away.

Do I think it's safe? Mixed feelings here, as my common sense tells me that inhaling a chemical that kills baddies probably isn't going to be good for sensitive lung tissue. There are several versions of F10 - are people making sure they're getting the one that's meant to be nebulized or grabbing and using any ol' one they see? I've also seen several stories online where this treatment has, in fact, KILLED their animals.
    Last edited by Shadera; 05-15-2012 at 09:02 AM.
    `*`

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadera For This Useful Post:

rabernet (05-17-2012)

Thanks
    I also am of the mind that nebulizing any sort of disinfectant, regardless of its chemical composition, isn't a great idea. if you're just looking for general feedback on the topic, I'm afraid since F10 is so new, all you're hear is an array of opinions. my own is that there is no miracle over-the-counter cure, and a culture should be done in most all cases.

however, if you are trying to treat an actual respiratory infection, take the animal to a vet. also take a look at the sticky from this thread:
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ht=respiratory

Thanks
    I'm a little worried personally of people just going straight to the f10 and not realizing the severity of that particular Ri, or thinking the f10 is a miracle drug. It's not. While I have seen this work for slight cases of Ris. I have also seen folks that didn't bother to get a vets input and went straight for the f10 and their animals got much worse and died.
    To me this is the same as someone getting ahold of baytril off of the internet and home treating their snake for an Ri. There is a reason why it's important for people get cultures done when their animal has an Ri. I've noticed more recently that some strains of Ris are more resistant to baytril and other abos.
    This is from people and vets just assigning abos. The virus become resistant to these drugs and then we have bigger problems. This will happen with the f10 and then what?
    I personally think its dangerous to out and say hey here's how we treat Ris, just use this amazing product. I did watch the video on that btw. While I agree that bhb knows what they are doing and im sure they have enough combined knowledge in that business. Not everyone is bhb. There are some people that SHOULD NOT self diagnose their animals and their are Ris that SHOULD be treated with abos. F10 should be used cautiously.

* I'm not trying to call bhb out all I'm saying is I feel it was a little dangerous for a large breeder to put that out on the web without something saying that a vet is still necessary for the unknowledged person. People take what folks like that say as gold and the word of God, there are people right now that instead of going to the vet are going to be nebulizing for this pop or crackle here that wad of mucus there, and I ask again then what?

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homegrownscales For This Useful Post:

Anna.Sitarski (05-20-2012),rabernet (05-17-2012),Sonny1318 (11-04-2016)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast