Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,820

0 members and 2,820 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: What to do???

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

What to do???

I have been having a hard time getting my head on straight about breeding, and I wrote out this blog.

Take a look, share some comments...

I'd love to know what you all out there do.

http://heathersherpsblog.blogspot.co...-changing.html
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

House Snakes Addict... Aes_Sidhe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 848 Posts
    Heather I really will like to help but my knowledge of big reptile business is too small.

Only thing I know for sure is:
    You need to choose is what You doing should be just hobby eventually supporting your life... then really Frenzy and Want attitude is not good and could make things go from bad to worse... or.... This will be Your life... then you need to take a risk.

People like Kevin McCurley or Brian Barczyk will not be where they are if they not put everything in the business and will not sacrifice a lot to get what they have.

I only wonder how long whole Ball python craze last... how many new things will still popping up... and with more and more people focusing they hobby on breeding when this big avalanche of reptile business with ball python market is... will stop.

So I totally understand your dilemma and I wish I could have bigger/better piece of advice...
    Last edited by Aes_Sidhe; 08-18-2011 at 11:26 AM.

CLICK HERE to LIKE The RLReptiles on FACEBOOK

Rafal Lisinski

1.0 Striped African House Snake "Marduk"
    0.1 Striped African House Snake Ishtar
    1.0 black phase Brown House Snake Seth
    0.1 black phase Brown House Snake Nephthys

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Sure wish I could give some advice here but I am in the should I or shouldnt I boat

I really want to get my first clutch on the ground just for the knowledge and understanding.
    I am not dealing with any "high" dollar morphs so is all the stress worth the outcome?

On the other hand, I dont want to be the kid with the new baseball glove. I can already see myself running to the game only to find everyone already left before I even got started

Hopes, dreams and wishes.....................

Thanks

Re: What to do???

Judging by your incubator page and what you have hatched out, your options are endless with what you currently have! I would be in a happy place if I had the animals you did.. But I also understand, you say once I get this animal/morph or hatch this animal/morph, I'll be content, but you are never content when you see pictures of different morphs that are being produced and you say to yourself "I must have that animal", whatever it may be.

Are you looking for advice on what you should buy next or what do we do in these situations?

I'm currently in the same situation as you, and still have 2 snakes yet to arrive, but my next thing that I would like to work with in the recessive area would be hypo's and clowns. I find clowns are becoming slightly more affordable than a few years ago and I think now would be a good time to look into that and try to create some combo's of your own. You like axanthics, well why not try to hit on a double recessive with an axanthic clown, or breed one of your axanthic spider males to a clown female and produce some hets.

Another thing I do is I check what current financial situation is and go by that..in the past I have done the "buy now, ask questions later", but I don't think it was very smart of me

I honestly think you appear to be in a good position in life/animals and I just think you have hit a road block (like writers block)..

Back in July I had a huge deal fall through for some clowns/pastel het clowns and I sold a lot of my collection to fund these animals so I basically back to square one.. I found myself constantly browsing the classifieds but I just got lost in all of it, I stopped browsing anything related to ball pythons for about a month, and went back and started looking again and came across some mind blowing animals that I just needed to have - I had the money from the previous animals that I had sold and I went for it. In the meantime, it took me forever to find anything to buy.

Anyways, not sure if that helped or confused things! Good Luck with whatever it is you choose!
    Last edited by piper; 08-18-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Registered User Amon Ra Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Ok well I can't really tell you what you want to hear. I however can tell you how we are going about it.
    We got into breeding for the love of snakes. I know that kinda sound cheesy but it's true. We both grew up having reptiles and when we met it was a common interest that grew into breeding. We breed right now ball pythons but we have a few other projects in the works. We enjoy breeding and love watching our hard work pay off. The main reason we decided to start was to produce things we couldn't afford to buy.
    I see your thoughts about the way the markets going. It's almost disheartening to think about all the combos that have been made and to know that the odds of you producing something new is ....well one in a million. Unless you have the money,animals and facility like NERD or Davis ect... You just can't compete.
    Also the possibility that by the time you can finally produce a albino pied or an inferno the market will be down to the point that what once was an animal that sold for tens of thousands, you will sell for three.
    So this is my advice to you. If you truly enjoy having snakes and you truly want to breed, than go for it. Just understand that you will most likely not produce a first and will never compete with the big dogs. But if you can look past that and still have that love and passion you talk about than I say go for it. We enjoy what little money we made after our fist year but watching those eggs pipp and being able to say " wow we produced that " was the most awesome thing! Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Amon Ra Reptiles For This Useful Post:

repkeeper79 (05-19-2012)

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I appreciate the feedback.

I didn't really mean for you to answer my own problems, more of a "what would you do" kind of situation...

So..

What would you do?
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Ra Reptiles View Post
    Ok well I can't really tell you what you want to hear. I however can tell you how we are going about it.
    We got into breeding for the love of snakes. I know that kinda sound cheesy but it's true. We both grew up having reptiles and when we met it was a common interest that grew into breeding. We breed right now ball pythons but we have a few other projects in the works. We enjoy breeding and love watching our hard work pay off. The main reason we decided to start was to produce things we couldn't afford to buy.
    I see your thoughts about the way the markets going. It's almost disheartening to think about all the combos that have been made and to know that the odds of you producing something new is ....well one in a million. Unless you have the money,animals and facility like NERD or Davis ect... You just can't compete.
    Also the possibility that by the time you can finally produce a albino pied or an inferno the market will be down to the point that what once was an animal that sold for tens of thousands, you will sell for three.
    So this is my advice to you. If you truly enjoy having snakes and you truly want to breed, than go for it. Just understand that you will most likely not produce a first and will never compete with the big dogs. But if you can look past that and still have that love and passion you talk about than I say go for it. We enjoy what little money we made after our fist year but watching those eggs pipp and being able to say " wow we produced that " was the most awesome thing! Good luck!
    That is very enlightening..very good indeed...thx bro

They call me Emilius LOL Emilio's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,004 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOhh View Post
    I appreciate the feedback.

I didn't really mean for you to answer my own problems, more of a "what would you do" kind of situation...

So..

What would you do?
    Hay Heather I plan on doing the same this season, I need something new in the collection as well, last year I moved into the new house and that took precedence over everything.

So I know the balancing act your going to be going through. I decided that this season I will bring in one of the four morphs I've been wanting to get for sometime.

My longterm projects are set much like yours I just want that new ingredient too.

Good luck, knowing you you'll make the right decision.
    Last edited by Emilio; 05-19-2012 at 08:00 AM.
    Absolutely obsessed with ball pythons!

http://www.facebook.com/VillarinoReptiles?ref=hl

Villarino reptiles Morph market

Contacts

Villarinoreptiles@gmail.com
    Or tex 7868774281

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Ra Reptiles View Post
    I do not believe this is true. That is the great thing about ball pythons there is so much to work with and so many combos to make that the big guys can't think of them all let alone make all of them. So even the little guys have a chance to make some thing new out of a small bed room in there house. You don't need a big building or to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars. That is what is so geart about our hobby.

P.S. I have a bumblebee female laying right now bred to a Fire Calico male as far as I can tell I have a shot at making 2 snakes that have not been done yet "Fire Calico Spider" and "Pastel Fire Calico Spider" and I didn't break the bank to do it....