Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,352

2 members and 3,350 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Encourage Spending?

I've read where some people are trying to buy snakes and don't have any money, try borrowing money, and even selling things to get a snake. So my questions is this: do you think we should still encourage this? If you're like me, you don't feel like its your place to tell them how to use their money they have or don't have. My only worry is if they don't hardly have they money for the snake, they won't have the money for proper care. I totally understand the "I MUST have it NOW" feeling you get...Ive fallen into it, but spending everything you have doesn't leave any for food, bedding etc. I just worry for other people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Joe

1.0 100% Het. Albino
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Fire
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Purple Albino Retic

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I think it all depends if they can still provide proper care for the animal then I have no problem with it. I have done it recently, I sold part of My DVD collection(sold 120dvds) for some extra spending money for the reptile expo. And the $150 I made got me my female jcp. And trust me she is living nicely in a nice PVC cage(pics coming soon).
    Tom
    Tom

Ball Pythons
    Females: Poss. het albino (Angel),Albino (Corona),Pastel Lesser (Lila),Pinstripe Het Albino (Sandy), Pastel Pied (Pandora),
    Males: Black Pastel Het Albino (Diablo),Piebald (Atlas),Killerbee (King)

Morelia
    0.1 Jungle carpet python (Sage)
    0.0.1 Green tree python (Unknown)

Misc.
    0.1 Snow Corn (Roxy)
    0.1 Bearded dragon (Coral-Blood X Red/Citrus)
    1.0 Diamond Back Terrapin(Crush)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    As long as you can properly care for the animal once you get it then i dont see a huge problem with it. Ive sold some of my stuff that i dont use anymore really to have some extra cash for an expo. My other main hobby besides herps is collecting autographed sports memorbila, pics and cards. I would gladly sell/trade some of my autographs or whatever for more snakes lol!
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Re: Encourage Spending?

I expect people to take care of themselves; I am not their parent. However, I do reserve the right to refuse sale to anyone, and that includes the jerks who try to talk me down on a $25 normal with a sob story about needing to buy their kids shoes.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I as a breeder offer a product, it isn't my job to try and tell people how to spend their money but rather to show them that I am the business, that when the time comes, they should spend it with. Encouraging people to spend their money is impossible, people like to be reassured that spending their already scarce cash isn't going to be a dumb move. Whether they have the funds to provide for the animal after it is theirs to do so with isn't my worry.

Now as a responsible person and a customer conscience business owner I will do this, find out how experienced the person is and ask general questions about what type of equipment they are going to use and gently point them in the right directing if they are going astray. I'd rather spend an extra 30 minutes on the phone making sure my customer has the best possible pet owner experience they can have. Because a person that is enjoying their new pet is more likely to be a repeat customer. Where as if I were to simply take their money and let them sink or swim then when or if the animal dies or they have a bad experience then they are 100% more likely to get a fish or a hamster.

In the end most people don't make 200+ dollar impulse long term maintenance purchases and those that do if they didn't do their research then it wasn't a big purchase so no harm done..
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    As far as being a seller... there's no reason a seller should feel obligated to be a parent and see if the purchase is smart for the buyer(as in, can they pay their bills, are they spending rent money). It's the buyer who is supposed to be responsible for their own life.

As far as someone posting on the net "I want this snake but I don't have the money to buy it and XXXXX" then I have no trouble saying "Dude... save your money and buy it when you have the funds."

If someone sells something they own, to use those funds to buy snakes, I don't have any issue at all. That's why we own things. We buy it to enjoy it. If we don't enjoy it as much, we can sell it and use the money to buy other things we enjoy. Some people might play the guitar for a few years and love it and have pricy instruments... and then lose interest. Should they keep the pricy guitar forever? Of course not. So they sell it. It's no different if they sell it when they lose interest.. or they sell it when they see a albino BP they really want.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

I can't even begin to pretend to know a total stranger's situation. Who am I to say, "nope, won't sell you this animal because I know you're poor"?

That's the problem with the world nowadays. Too many people wanting to tell other people what *they* think they should be doing. Let's all mind our own business, and let others live their lives the way they want too. If they want to make mistakes, that's what life is all about, and they're theirs to make.

I do layaway for people all the time. I'll even extend the time out beyond what most sellers will do, just because I try to be a nice person. And I've asked for layaway myself a lot of times. Does it mean I can't pay my bills or am using rent money to buy animals? No way. Our household income is six figures a year - there is always extra money, just never one giant lump sum right now. If someone were to tell me they wouldn't sell me an animal because they were convinced I couldn't afford it based on my wanting to make payments, I'd be livid. They'd of course be within their rights to make sales or not to whomever they chose, but that'd still sting.

I don't agree with taking out loans or taking out a second mortgage on the house to buy animals, but I keep my trap shut because it's not my life. If people want to take that risk, then hey have fun. I'm gonna be over here, paying cash as I have it.
    `*`

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
    That's the problem with the world nowadays. Too many people wanting to tell other people what *they* think they should be doing. Let's all mind our own business, and let others live their lives the way they want too.
    I agree with this statement. Nobody knows 100% how people get the money to pay for their animals. It's not even your business to ask. What if someone sold drugs pay for his snakes? If you asked what he did, and he told you he didn't work, you would assume he's just broke.. Again, this is nobody's business.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
    I don't agree with taking out loans or taking out a second mortgage on the house to buy animals, but I keep my trap shut because it's not my life. If people want to take that risk, then hey have fun. I'm gonna be over here, paying cash as I have it.
    I'm not sure about official loans lol, but Mike Wilbanks mentioned in his latest video that his buddy took out a big loan and paid 40k for a spider then ended up making twice his money back... I don't think it's a bad thing to take out a loan as long as you spend it wisely, and are sure you can pay it back...

Quote Originally Posted by pigfat View Post
    do you think we should still encourage this? If you're like me, you don't feel like its your place to tell them how to use their money they have or don't have. My only worry is if they don't hardly have they money for the snake, they won't have the money for proper care. I totally understand the "I MUST have it NOW" feeling you get...Ive fallen into it, but spending everything you have doesn't leave any for food, bedding etc. I just worry for other people
    How do you know they are spending "all they have"? I'm going to be buying another snake soon hopefully, but I don't have all the money in my account this very second. I'm going to borrow money from my mom and just pay her back. I did this with my calico who is now paid off in full, and she split the cost of my enchi lesser (also paid off now). I make decent enough money to pay for my snakes. I'm just too impatient to wait to save up all the money in full. Also, since my mom is the one loaning me the money, she always tells me to take my time.. that there's no rush lol. Still, every paycheck I get, first I put money into my bills account, then if there's extra, that goes straight into the pile that I have to pay my mom back . It's all about responsibility. Take care of what needs to be taken care of FIRST, then worry about getting yourself extra things.... Currently (since I don't have to buy any snakes), I am perfectly level! I'm not in debt, and everything is paid off! Even my car
    Last edited by h00blah; 05-07-2012 at 12:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you don't know the guy, give him what he asks for. If he's a regular (or a friend) and you know his limits, you cut him off fir his own good.
    - Mason

Thanks
    I understand the sellers side of things, but I'd you know that the person really is spending every last dollar on a snake, would you advise them to maybe do a down payment, and pay it off? I'm just now learning how to sorta manage my money. So if you knew the situation, and knew it was all the money they had, would you advise them to do another rout? Maybe they are kids who have no expenses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Joe

1.0 100% Het. Albino
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Fire
    1.0 Pinstripe
    1.0 Purple Albino Retic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast