Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,763

0 members and 2,763 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Microchipping snakes?

This probably sound rediculous... but after deciding to microchip my birds and rabbits, I wondered about the snakes.. Does anybody do this? I can understand doing it for very valuable snakes, but what about your common pet? Would you want to get your snake back if it went slithering out your front door one day? Highly unlikely that would happen, but still... I once lost a box turtle this way when I was in high school. She just walked off and I never saw her again...

so?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    It is possible, but the way I see it is it's cheaper to double check the security of enclosures than it is to microchip all 17 of my snakes lol.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (05-08-2012),PitOnTheProwl (05-08-2012),Slim (05-08-2012)

Thanks
    17?!! jesus... I'd have to agree with you there!

I only have 2 and will likely only have 2 for a very long time. (Altho I have to admit to looking around at other morphs. It's addicting, whatever this is.. snakekeeping. But I would never get another unless and until I get a firm handle on how to care for a snake properly).

Anyways... for me, it might make sense... dunno. I'd never do it while they're so little tho (or ill).

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Better identification would be a couple good pictures, their paterns are like a fingerprint.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

AGoldReptiles (05-08-2012),Slim (05-08-2012)

Thanks

Re: Microchipping snakes?

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Better identification would be a couple good pictures, their paterns are like a fingerprint.
    Yes, but you'd have to know where your snake was first. Before you could present pictures and claim it as your own.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Manasha-Bogo View Post
    Yes, but you'd have to know where your snake was first. Before you could present pictures and claim it as your own.
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong but how is the microchip going to help you find the snake, bird or rabbit?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnNJ For This Useful Post:

Redneck_Crow (05-08-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNJ View Post
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong but how is the microchip going to help you find the snake, bird or rabbit?
    Well, where a tame parrot or house rabbit is concerned, those animals are often found by neighbors and taken to a shelter. The shelter scans all animals that come in and this is how they would find your contact info. One of my old friends once found an African Grey that just flew up to him and landed on his car. He decided to just keep it and not look. Under those circumstances, you really just won't find your bird. But if he had taken it to a vet or a shelter, the owner would have been found immediately (provided it had a microchip, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    That would be IF it got out and IF someone found it. They usually dont get too far from their racks muchless the house their owners life in. On top of that, they are not like a bonded animal that may seek out humans on its own.
    You make a good point.
    Last edited by Manasha-Bogo; 05-08-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks

Well, where a tame parrot or house rabbit is concerned, those animals are often found by neighbors and taken to a shelter. The shelter scans all animals that come in and this is how they would find your contact info. One of my old friends once found an African Grey that just flew up to him and landed on his car. He decided to just keep it and not look. Under those circumstances, you really just won't find your bird. But if he had taken it to a vet or a shelter, the owner would have been found immediately (provided it had a microchip, of course).
    That's funny because I found an african grey also. It took me several days but I found the owner on Craigslist advertising a cash reward which I never received.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

That would be IF it got out and IF someone found it. They usually dont get too far from their racks muchless the house their owners life in. On top of that, they are not like a bonded animal that may seek out humans on its own.

And as stated, large collection owners would go bankrupt I'm on 29 live and 14 currently in the incubator.

Thanks

I think micro chipping snakes is actually becoming more common...still not the norm by any means, but I know of a few people who do it, and more that are considering it. As far as costs go, I'm pretty sure it's not all that expensive, and if I remember correctly, if you are doing them in quantity, you can buy the syringes/chips and do it at home. For 2 pet snakes I wouldn't bother, but if you're buying/selling/breeding a decent number of animals, may be worth it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast