Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,921

2 members and 2,919 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

How long is to long?

How long should a buyer expect to wait to hear back from a breeder? I will admit some of this situation is my fault, mistype and the other just being plain naive and stupid. This is the situation:

Monday (4/31/12): I found a breeder of Orange Bellys that I have been looking for at a really nice price. I emailed the breeder:

"Hope you are doing well. I was wondering if you would be able to send me a few pictures of the Orange Belly Males if they are still available. They both have very nice blushing on them I just can't decided between the two. Also I didn't any weights or if they were eating frozen/thawed, that information would be great too"

This is the reply I received:

"Both are still available. My website marks everything sold automatically, so it's always current. The pictures on my website are the only pictures of them I have."

Tuesday (5/1/12) I looked up his reviews saw nothing but great things. I purchase a male Pastel off his website (On accident) using PayPal.

Wednesday (5/2/12) I still hadn't received anything from him with shipping information or even a receipt acknowledging I made the purchase. I went back and realized I made a mistake and purchased the Pastel which was under the Orange Belly I had intended to purchase. I quickly emailed him explaining my mistake (both snakes were the same price) and that I hadn't heard anything from him.

Friday (5/4/12) He finally responds explaining how I mistyped my email address while purchasing the snake which is why I hadn't received anything. That I could switch the snakes out and just to repurchase without paying through his site with the correct information and he would "send the confirmation email personally." and which the payment information around. So this is what I did first thing that morning. I emailed him back telling him that I had done as he said I should and in the notes of the purchase I wrote briefly the situation so he would realize it when he saw it.

Monday (5/07/12) I receive an email early in the morning saying he was up late on Sunday getting orders ready for Monday. He asked if I wanted to buy the Pastel as well for a super nice price because he was trying to make room on his racks for hatching season and he was already sending me a package so thought he would offer me a deal. I emailed him back saying that I would be interested and sent the money through PayPal again.

Tuesday (5/08/12) I wake up and still no confirmation on either snake. There is no receipt for either of them other than my PayPal confirmation.

Considering most people, all the dealers I have ordered snaked from previously, only ship Monday - Tuesday and sometimes Wednesday at the very latest. Considering it's now Tuesday at 1:30 pm I am thinking I am not going to be receiving my package this week.

My question is for all of you who are in this business or often order your snakes through the mail from a breeder, am I being unreasonable? What is the appropriate length of time I should give this guy before I just ask for my money back? I am trying to leave my mornings open during the beginning of the week so I will be home for them, however keeping my mornings free Monday-Wednesday for three weeks has become increasingly difficult. On Tuesday (5/01/12) I ordered two pythons from another breeder and received them the next day without any issues. The time before that I ordered two pythons from another breeder and had them within the week.

I am horribly frustrated and becoming increasingly annoyed with the situation. While the total for everything is less than $200, and I understand that is chump change to a major breeder, however I really am only interested in breeding for the fun of making the combo I want to own, not just purchasing them outright. However if I did decide to make a big purchase I would happily do so from those I have had a great purchasing experience with.

Anyway sorry to be so wordy. Just at what point do I tell him just to forget it and refund my money, or should I go through PayPal to do it? Maybe I am being dramatic and my expectations are unreasonable. Anyway just want to know what other people think. Thanks
    Facebook - Stare Worthy Serpents
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stare...76771925806600

Instragram - StareWorthySerpent

Thanks
    I think you will be fine, sometimes they get busy and it may take a little longer for them to reply but they should get back to you eventually.

Pages: http://www.facebook.com/ZBPythons, http://www.youtube.com/user/ZAPython?feature=mhee

Ball Python(s)
    0.1 Albino
    0.1 Spider 100% het albino
    0.1 Lemon Blast
    0.1 Lesser

Crested Gecko(s)
    0.0.2 Pinstripe (I think)

Thanks
    It's also a busy time if year. Snakes laying and hatching. I wouldn't worry about it, he knows what snakes you want so another week give or take isn't a big deal. IMO.
    Over 60...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Re: How long is to long?

Email/call him and ask when you should expect shipping and delivery. I wouldn't be annoyed unless he specified that you should receive your animals today. If he ships today, he's probably waiting until this evening to pack them, which means you should get a tracking number in the next 4 hours. Personally, I would want anyone shipping to me unless I had confirmed that I would be available that day for delivery.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M&H View Post
    How long should a buyer expect to wait to hear back from a breeder? I will admit some of this situation is my fault, mistype and the other just being plain naive and stupid. This is the situation:

Monday (4/31/12): I found a breeder of Orange Bellys that I have been looking for at a really nice price. I emailed the breeder:

"Hope you are doing well. I was wondering if you would be able to send me a few pictures of the Orange Belly Males if they are still available. They both have very nice blushing on them I just can't decided between the two. Also I didn't any weights or if they were eating frozen/thawed, that information would be great too"

This is the reply I received:

"Both are still available. My website marks everything sold automatically, so it's always current. The pictures on my website are the only pictures of them I have."

Tuesday (5/1/12) I looked up his reviews saw nothing but great things. I purchase a male Pastel off his website (On accident) using PayPal.

Wednesday (5/2/12) I still hadn't received anything from him with shipping information or even a receipt acknowledging I made the purchase. I went back and realized I made a mistake and purchased the Pastel which was under the Orange Belly I had intended to purchase. I quickly emailed him explaining my mistake (both snakes were the same price) and that I hadn't heard anything from him.

Friday (5/4/12) He finally responds explaining how I mistyped my email address while purchasing the snake which is why I hadn't received anything. That I could switch the snakes out and just to repurchase without paying through his site with the correct information and he would "send the confirmation email personally." and which the payment information around. So this is what I did first thing that morning. I emailed him back telling him that I had done as he said I should and in the notes of the purchase I wrote briefly the situation so he would realize it when he saw it.

Monday (5/07/12) I receive an email early in the morning saying he was up late on Sunday getting orders ready for Monday. He asked if I wanted to buy the Pastel as well for a super nice price because he was trying to make room on his racks for hatching season and he was already sending me a package so thought he would offer me a deal. I emailed him back saying that I would be interested and sent the money through PayPal again.

Tuesday (5/08/12) I wake up and still no confirmation on either snake. There is no receipt for either of them other than my PayPal confirmation.

Considering most people, all the dealers I have ordered snaked from previously, only ship Monday - Tuesday and sometimes Wednesday at the very latest. Considering it's now Tuesday at 1:30 pm I am thinking I am not going to be receiving my package this week.

My question is for all of you who are in this business or often order your snakes through the mail from a breeder, am I being unreasonable? What is the appropriate length of time I should give this guy before I just ask for my money back? I am trying to leave my mornings open during the beginning of the week so I will be home for them, however keeping my mornings free Monday-Wednesday for three weeks has become increasingly difficult. On Tuesday (5/01/12) I ordered two pythons from another breeder and received them the next day without any issues. The time before that I ordered two pythons from another breeder and had them within the week.

I am horribly frustrated and becoming increasingly annoyed with the situation. While the total for everything is less than $200, and I understand that is chump change to a major breeder, however I really am only interested in breeding for the fun of making the combo I want to own, not just purchasing them outright. However if I did decide to make a big purchase I would happily do so from those I have had a great purchasing experience with.

Anyway sorry to be so wordy. Just at what point do I tell him just to forget it and refund my money, or should I go through PayPal to do it? Maybe I am being dramatic and my expectations are unreasonable. Anyway just want to know what other people think. Thanks
    Is it the end of the world if they ship next week? Nope.

Be patient man. People have lives and are busy. It hasn't been a long time and it sounds like you picked a good seller to deal with. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. We live in an instant gratification generation and it isn't always a good thing IMO. LOL.

Don't worry, be happy... you have two cool new snakes coming in the next week or so

Regards,

B

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I've been dealing with a breeder for about 2 months length regarding a snake.
    I paid a deposit the first day of contact and the rest of the balance 30 days later. I'm not worried he stole my money or anything. And it's in the 1K range. We don't keep contact 24/7. We speak maybe once a week at most. I was suppose to get the snake shipped last week, but he got extremely caught up with his snakes being hatching season and all. He messaged me right away to let me know and it sure saved me the worry of waiting for a package that wouldn't arrive. (it's going to be sent tomorrow)

If the breeder you're working with has had nothing but good reviews, just trust him. If he doesn't pull through, you can write a review and have paypal revoke your payment. Calling is definitely better than email. Many people don't check their emails every day.
    Last edited by satomi325; 05-08-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,686 Posts
    You have to understand if your not buying from a huge breeder that has employees there is a lot that person is doing. My advice is be patient and be nice. People don't want to go out of their way for rude people.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    As others have said, just be patient. Doesnt sound like they forgot about you or are ignoring you, its just a busy time of year for most. Good luck!

Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

I haven't heard a peep about shipping as far as his policies go or asking when or if I would be available. I would hope that he wouldn't send them without my knowledge, and I am sure he wouldn't. I'm not annoyed that I haven't received the snakes, although obviously I would love to have them, I am more concerned that I haven't received anything that says anything like "You purchased snake A and B. Due to hatching season (or whatever) shipments are running behind, I usually ship on Monday or Tuesdays and will touch base with you on Sunday to make sure you are available to receive your parcel."

If that was the case I would have zero complaints. The snakes look good from what I have seen, he has gotten good reviews. I just hate this limbo of not knowing what is going on. If he ships them next week you are right it's no big deal. Just would like to know what to expect I guess. I am not saying in anyway that he is being irresponsible or trying to rip me off or anything of that nature. Like I said I haven't had any issues with him, and every correspondence I've had with him has been pleasant. Just frustrated with the lack of information.
    Facebook - Stare Worthy Serpents
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stare...76771925806600

Instragram - StareWorthySerpent

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M&H View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies.

I haven't heard a peep about shipping as far as his policies go or asking when or if I would be available. I would hope that he wouldn't send them without my knowledge, and I am sure he wouldn't. I'm not annoyed that I haven't received the snakes, although obviously I would love to have them, I am more concerned that I haven't received anything that says anything like "You purchased snake A and B. Due to hatching season (or whatever) shipments are running behind, I usually ship on Monday or Tuesdays and will touch base with you on Sunday to make sure you are available to receive your parcel."

If that was the case I would have zero complaints. The snakes look good from what I have seen, he has gotten good reviews. I just hate this limbo of not knowing what is going on. If he ships them next week you are right it's no big deal. Just would like to know what to expect I guess. I am not saying in anyway that he is being irresponsible or trying to rip me off or anything of that nature. Like I said I haven't had any issues with him, and every correspondence I've had with him has been pleasant. Just frustrated with the lack of information.
    Have you asked him? I understand your frustration on not receiving a receipt, but it could be that he intends to send it with the shipment confirmation, which isn't scheduled yet if you haven't confirmed your availability to receive them. If he hasn't answered an email where you requested this information, most websites have phone numbers, which are typically better for reaching people who don't sit at their desks all day.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast