Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,102

5 members and 3,097 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Bearded Dragon Genetics

So I have a Bearded dragon who I am 90% sure is a female. I have been trying to figure out what she is (morph or not, and if she is a morph which one) Her colors have changes some sine I last posted pictures so I though I would try again.

I think that she might be a Citrus Tiger, or maybe a Super Citrus/Super Citrus Tiger (but I really have no clue lol)

Here she is:

Also if someone could verify that I am correct in assuming that she is indeed a she.

So ever since I got a Leopard Gecko, my girlfriend has really gotten into lizards and wants to start breeding Bearded dragons. we want to pick up a male (assuming that our current one is a female) and we want it to be a morph that will work well with the one we already have. We have been really interested in the Blood morph, but can't find much info on it.

Here is a picture of one:

Or a Red:

does anyone have any info on either of these morphs... such as what type of genetics they are? (recessive, Dom, Co-dom...) And what they go for (looking for a male)

Thanks
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 05-03-2012 at 02:32 AM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Anyone?

Also if you have any suggestions on what BD morph would work well with what I Already have feel free to say so.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 05-03-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    ~Aaron

Thanks
    I guess I need to suck it up and create an account on a Bearded dragon forum lol
    ~Aaron

BPnet Veteran Jabberwocky Dragons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Bearded Dragon morphs are very different from bp morphs. There's only a handful of bearded dragon morphs that breed with simple genetics (translucent, hypo, dunner, leatherback/silkback, etc). These morphs are comparable to Ball python morphs. A hypo dragon is going to have 20 clear nails as an identifier. A trans dragon will have a trans underbelly and possibly solid black eyes. Silkbacks and leatherbacks have fairly self obvious markers.

The morphs people assign bearded dragon colors are not simple genetic morphs. I actually dislike the terms citrus, blood, sandfire (unless purchased directly from the Sandfire Dragon Ranch), etc because they don't really mean anything and people's opinions on what qualifies as one varies. I've seen many great looking citrus but I've also seen even more dragons that look nothing like a citrus being claimed as such... who's to contradict the seller? If you found a dragon off craigslist that was a deeper red than any blood dragon you've seen, can you label it a blood even though the seller didn't?

Bearded Dragon color passes in a similar manner to human's hair and eye color. To improve your chance of getting the brightest red or yellow babies, go with a breeder that has the dragon coloring you like. Don't focus on the "morph" color names because they don't follow simple genetics. A few breeders who have been around for many years have selectively bred their own color line but it will become muddled once you breed it to an outside line. Just as many breeders slap a morph name on their color line which was just started yesterday... a line here one season and gone the next.

Your's definitely looks female but if you want to be positive, hold her flat in your hand, raise the tail almost 90 degrees and slightly twist it back and forth. That should prominently display her bulge.

Those dragons you selected are both really nice looking and either should do well with yours. If you have any more bearded dragon questions, please always feel free to shoot me an email. I enjoy talking dragons anytime.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jabberwocky Dragons For This Useful Post:

ryanweb (04-25-2013),The Serpent Merchant (05-03-2012)