Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,820

1 members and 2,819 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Opinion poll: the near future of the hognose market?

It seems like hognose morphs grow in popularity a little each year, and with increase in variety, it looks like they might finally take off. Problem is, people say that every year . At the seattle show yesterday, I saw exactly one hognose for sale. ONE.

Is now a good time to enter the hognose market? That is to ask, if I invest in 2012 hatchlings, what's the market going to be like over the next 2-5 years? Are all these new $1000+ morphs going to be selling for $500 or more like $100? Supply is definitely increasing and I'm not sure if there's enough new money coming in to keep demand high.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    I think the rear fang venomous may keep some folks from getting into them, either from personal preference or legality.

They are such adorable snakes, I don't know how everyone doesn't want one. Myself, I was told they all under venomous by some of the governmental folks, so until I get venomous permit, no hoggies for me. Others have said they are not considered venomous, but I don't want to risk all my animals on a maybe.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Re: Opinion poll: the near future of the hognose market?

Like any product (other than gasoline for some reason) when demand is met the price stay around the same or will go down. I remember seeing anaconda hoggies for around 5k, not sure of the price now.

They are the next ball python without question.

Thanks
    I don't know but I'm willing to give it a go =P the only thing I think will keep them down in the rear fanged venom thing... Bps and corns are popular with any little kids parents because they are safe, even though a hog isn't deadly and not that inclined to bite, parents outside of the herp hobby won't want to risk it, making it harder to move normal babies.

Send in your two cents!
    Http://Yourtwocentsworth.com

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    It seems like hognose morphs grow in popularity a little each year, and with increase in variety, it looks like they might finally take off. Problem is, people say that every year . At the seattle show yesterday, I saw exactly one hognose for sale. ONE.

Is now a good time to enter the hognose market? That is to ask, if I invest in 2012 hatchlings, what's the market going to be like over the next 2-5 years? Are all these new $1000+ morphs going to be selling for $500 or more like $100? Supply is definitely increasing and I'm not sure if there's enough new money coming in to keep demand high.

Let me know what you think!
    they seem to be a few hundred dollars for most morphs. but i still think Hoggies can still be the next big thing. there many more gene mutations to discover.

Edit: boooo! this thread has no poll. :/
    Last edited by Ax01; 04-13-2018 at 05:07 PM.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    they seem to be a few hundred dollars for most morphs. but i still think Hoggies can still be the next big thing. there many more gene mutations to discover.

lol blast from the past! I wish I had pulled the trigger 6 years ago because the market is still relatively strong. I am finally, finally starting to buy more hognose. That said, I don't think I want to breed anything with a hatchling price >$300 anymore. The customer base is just so small and most people in that demo want to buy from big names. I've learned a lot from the collapse of the BP market.
    Last edited by Ernie Mccracken; 04-13-2018 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Mccracken View Post
    lol blast from the past! I wish I had pulled the trigger 6 years ago because the market is still relatively strong. I am finally, finally starting to buy more hognose. That said, I don't think I want to breed anything with a hatchling price >$300 anymore. The customer base is just so small and most people in that demo want to buy from big names. I've learned a lot from the collapse of the BP market.
    sure peeps wanna buy something w/ a name brand (i.e. big breeder) but good rep and customer service, quality and a fair price goes a long way too.
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ax01 For This Useful Post:

Alter-Echo (04-13-2018)

Thanks
    So far the hognose market seems far more stable than the bp market ever was... and that is a good thing. We aren't seeing the 30k animals we did/do with bps, but the the snakes are keeping their value longer and less people are breeding them. I have a feeling that over all it is probably a better business to invest in, though I don't think they sell as well as bps simply because there are less of them and less showy morphs and variety.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

The Hognose boom is big!!! They range from $100 to $1000 depending on the morph. If you are looking to start breeding then you probably gonna spend $$$$ in getting a nice pair, but if your just wanting a pet there's absolutely nothing wrong with a normal. Then you look at should I get a male or female? Females are known to be better eaters and get a little bigger in size, but don't over look the males because not all males are bad eaters.

My guy is a pig and even though males are smaller then the females, he thinks he is King Kong!!! LOL
    He is such a clown...just priceless in my eyes!
    Last edited by Jus1More; 04-15-2018 at 08:46 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jus1More For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (04-15-2018)