Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,905

1 members and 2,904 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Question Leos and JCP moving into PVC cages! Do's/Don'ts on setup+heat+deco?

Hey all, I recently bought some PVC enclosures for my reptiles (a 4' x 2' x 1' with 4 spaces/3 dividers for my Leos, and a 2' x 2' x 3' for my Jungle Carpet Python, to be delivered to me in mid-May), and need to know the best way to set them up; any brands of heat tape to prefer or avoid? Wattage? Would a heat panel work better for my JCP? How about temp management, and ways to keep humidity moderate or low? Other decorations? I wasn't sure if having a kind of pipe welded into the cage for my JCP would be a good idea (well I guess it would need to be aired out for a while), or if I should stick to some natural (cleaned) branches or something else artificial. Are (UVB) lights a good idea for these? With only one side that lets light in I'd guess they're kinda dark, but since these reptiles are mainly nocturnal I dunno if it would make a difference or bother them (I'm way too used to using tanks/aquariums, haha)
    Insight and general assistance would be greatly appreciated ^^; Thanks in advance :3

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    You can start by reading this, it should be able to answer most of your questions:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...With-Pictures!

If you have any questions after you read it feel free to ask.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 04-27-2012 at 05:01 PM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

Jessicat (04-27-2012)

Thanks

Re: Leos and JCP moving into PVC cages! Do's/Don'ts on setup+heat+deco?

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    You can start by reading this, it should be able to answer most of your questions:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...With-Pictures!

If you have any questions after you read it feel free to ask.
    Ah, I didn't think to look in the BP section since I'm not housing BPs ^^;
    I've heard there are different types/brands of heat tape, even one that's safe enough to be inside the enclosure [instead of outside as shown in the thread there]. I can't remember what the brand name was however.
    Since my JCP [Jungle Carpet Python] likes climbing I wasn't sure how to go about sticking a perch or something in there for him to hang out on; in his current enclosure he's got a bunch of branches that alternate directions and a little hammock thing, which was cute when he was smaller but now he's too heavy for it [the suction cups can't hold him up, haha].
    I think I've got enough stuff from their current enclosures to keep the Leos happy, just been unsure on if having a UVB light would be a bother for them or be detrimental in any way; the room they're in now has a small window which brings in an obnoxious amount of light, [much to my dismay as it's my bedroom, lol], but I don't know if that will be enough once they're moved to the new enclosure.
    Gotta find a better digital thermometer, and thermostats too o.o Any brand recommendations? I have a Zilla digital thermometer that measures one temperature and the humidity, but I might need another to keep the hot spot in check as well as the ambient ^^; Does heat tape have consistent heat? I'm not sure if I'd be able to have one long run of tape through the Leos' enclosure, but if I can would it be possible to only monitor one set of temps? [the Leos don't care about humidity at least XD]
    Thanks for the link too! It's a helpful start :3

Thanks
    I suggest that you get this thermometer fromn walmart, it costs $12 and is usually by the lightbulbs

I recommend Herpstat thermostats.

http://spyderrobotics.com/

if you re on a tight budget, the hydrofarm is ok, but should be replace with a better thermostat when possible

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPR.../dp/B000NZZG3S

They don't need UVB, but it won't bother them. my cages just have regular Fluorescent tubes in them.

for the Carpet, I would use a radiant heat panel, they work really well especially for snakes that like to stay up off the floor of the cage.

Here is a good place to get them: (also a good place to get flexwatt (heat tape) )

http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels

As for perches for the carpet, you have 2 options. I built this for my carpet, it is made from 1/2" diameter PVC pipes and fittings. took all of 10 minutes to make and costed under $20

Or you could build a mount into the side of your cage like so:

You can see that they used a "v" shaped piece of plastic with a notch to support a horizontal rod (made of Delrin but PVC pipe would also work)
    ~Aaron

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

Jessicat (04-29-2012)

Thanks
    Could probably use closet rod brackets too.

http://www.iherp.com/mikel81

0.1 Eastern Garter
    2.0 Corns (snow+black)
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    1.1 Orangetail Hypo Het Anery Hog Island Boas
    0.1 Super Jamp Retic
    Balls:
    0.1 Normal
    1.1 Lesser
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Mojave Orange Ghost
    1.0 Orange Ghost
    0.1 Cinnamon het Orange Ghost
    1.0 Phantom

Thanks

I suggest that you get this thermometer fromn walmart, it costs $12 and is usually by the lightbulbs

I recommend Herpstat thermostats.

http://spyderrobotics.com/

if you re on a tight budget, the hydrofarm is ok, but should be replace with a better thermostat when possible

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-MTPR.../dp/B000NZZG3S

They don't need UVB, but it won't bother them. my cages just have regular Fluorescent tubes in them.

for the Carpet, I would use a radiant heat panel, they work really well especially for snakes that like to stay up off the floor of the cage.

Here is a good place to get them: (also a good place to get flexwatt (heat tape) )

http://www.reptilebasics.com/rbi-radiant-heat-panels

As for perches for the carpet, you have 2 options. I built this for my carpet, it is made from 1/2" diameter PVC pipes and fittings. took all of 10 minutes to make and costed under $20

Or you could build a mount into the side of your cage like so:

You can see that they used a "v" shaped piece of plastic with a notch to support a horizontal rod (made of Delrin but PVC pipe would also work)
    Those thermometers look good, I'll have to remember to take a look for those at the Walmart near my house :3

Oh geeze, those Herpstats; each one only monitors one temp in one cage, right? x.x NOW I remember why I never got into snakes when I was an unemployed student in school LOL. I can probably afford it but having 5 of those hanging around [one for each reptile] just seems cumbersome ._. Those work by increasing/decreasing power to the heat tape right? As opposed to the on/off ones [or are there other types besides those two?]
    I'll have to ask my dad if he knows any good alternatives, I know a couple years ago when he renovated one of our bathrooms he put heat tape under the tiles [dunno if this is the same or different than heat tape than can be used in enclosures?] and has it hooked up to a thermostat...I can never figure out how to work the darn thing though ^^; It's neat because that one shows a little "heat wave" icon on the bottom of the thermostat screen when the heat's on, and how much power is on currently by the number of icons on the screen.

It looks like you built your JCP a jungle gym, that's pretty neat XD I wasn't sure if having a big pipe [mine isn't fully grown so I'm not sure how much wider he'll get] with an opening in it on the side would be possible, then it could be a perch and an [elevated] hiding spot, since if I'd have the heat coming from above it wouldn't matter how many hides are all down on the bottom level.
    And speaking of heat, I'm clueless on wattages for the heat tape and heat panel too ^^;

Weird that snakes don't need the extra attention to vitamin D that some lizards do, but I'm not complaining. Fluorescent lights work too, just need to figure out how to install them in the cage, at least without my JCP being able to poke at it [I'm not too big of a DIY person, heh ^^;]

Quote Originally Posted by mikel81 View Post
    Could probably use closet rod brackets too.

Those'd work too, thanks!

Thanks
    The Herpstat intro, basic, and 1 only control 1 heat source. The Herpstat 2 can control 2 heat sources, and the Herpstat 4 can control 4 heat sources. (they can also be used to control fans, lights, and misting systems)

Herpstats are proportional thermostats. That means that they vary the amount of power to keep the heat source at the set temperature. On/off thermostats work like a home air conditioning thermostat. It runs the heat source at full power until it gets to the set temperature then shuts it off completely. The heat source is not turned back on until the swing temperature is achieved. (usually 2 degrees) this means that your cage temperatures will always be changing with a on/off thermostat. But a proportional thermostat like a Herpstat keeps your temperatures exactly at the set temperature.

I would get 1 Herpstat 4 to run everything.

I have a question. Is the 2x2x3 (LxWxH?) going to be your carpet pythons adult cage? Because if so that is way too small. Carpet pythons don't need all that height. The ideal cage size is 36"x24"x18". They need 1 square foot of floor space for every foot in length.

As for heating. I would use 4" flexwatt for all of the cages. (4" only comes in one wattage)

http://www.reptilebasics.com/flexwat...att-heat-tape/

And this is the size RHP. I would use (for the carpet not the Leo's they really don't need one)

http://www.reptilebasics.com/28-watt-radiant-heat-panel
    ~Aaron

Thanks

The Herpstat intro, basic, and 1 only control 1 heat source. The Herpstat 2 can control 2 heat sources, and the Herpstat 4 can control 4 heat sources. (they can also be used to control fans, lights, and misting systems)

Herpstats are proportional thermostats. That means that they vary the amount of power to keep the heat source at the set temperature. On/off thermostats work like a home air conditioning thermostat. It runs the heat source at full power until it gets to the set temperature then shuts it off completely. The heat source is not turned back on until the swing temperature is achieved. (usually 2 degrees) this means that your cage temperatures will always be changing with a on/off thermostat. But a proportional thermostat like a Herpstat keeps your temperatures exactly at the set temperature.

I have a question. Is the 2x2x3 (LxWxH?) going to be your carpet pythons adult cage? Because if so that is way too small. Carpet pythons don't need all that height. The ideal cage size is 36"x24"x18". They need 1 square foot of floor space for every foot in length.

As for heating. I would use 4" flexwatt for all of the cages. (4" only comes in one wattage)

And this is the size RHP. I would use (for the carpet not the Leo's they really don't need one)

As for the perch, my guy isn't full grow either. But considering the low cost and ease of building, I will just make bigger ones as he gets bigger.
    ~Aaron

Thanks

As for the perch, my guy isn't full grow either. But considering the low cost and ease of building, I will just make bigger ones as he gets bigger.
    Thanks for the extra info on heat and 'stats, I just hope they're easy to use x.x I have 5 reptiles though, guess my JCP gets his own, or maybe I can get 2 4s or a 4 and a 2, but I dunno what else I'd expand to right now XD

Aye, I've gone to two forums and various books on Carpets, everywhere I go the answer is different on what size enclosure they need, and many times the advice is for "general" Carpets, when the needs vary for each subspecies, and even different sexes :/
    I've heard it all:
    2' x 2' x 4'
    2' x 2' x 3'
    6' x 2' x 2'
    6' x 2' x 3'
    4' x 2' x 18"
    Seriously I'm starting to get annoyed and disappointed with the lack of solid information for JCPs on something as simple as this. If he outgrows it, I dunno, maybe I'll get another PVC (long) enclosure and have it linked together, that'd cost a heck of a lot though :/ There doesn't seem to be anyone out here in Canada that makes enclosures that are both long and tall other than the 2' x 2' x 3' I ordered, everything else is only 1' or 1.5' high :/