Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,005

1 members and 3,004 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Shopping for a snake...

Hello all...

New to the forum...In the process of shopping for a snake.

I have it narrowed to a BP or a king snake...specifically a Mexican Black.

I am looking for a snake that can be handled and interacted with...A docile demeanor as well.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thank you...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Welcome to BP.net!

It's hard to go wrong with a ball python when it comes to docile handling. What ever you choose, I urge you to have your caging up and running at proper temp and humidity for at least a week prior to bringing home anything new.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

4Ballz (05-02-2012)

Thanks

Re: Shopping for a snake...

i would also suggest a ball python

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Welcome to BP.net!

It's hard to go wrong with a ball python when it comes to docile handling. What ever you choose, I urge you to have your caging up and running at proper temp and humidity for at least a week prior to bringing home anything new.
    Very much agree!! The wisest thing you can do is have your setup ready a week before hand.

I'm not going to advise you either way on which species you should get because they are SO different - night and day really. And which one you get is going to depend soley on what you want to get out of your new snake.

Kings are nice - especially the mexican blacks. Colubrids tend to be quite active and energetic, especially when being held, but they're not generally aggressive animals. However, I really wouldn't call them docile. They are not shy, though, and would make a nicer display animal. They also won't stress out if you handle them frequently. And I've never known a king to refuse a meal. But they are very active, assertive animals.

BPs, on the other hand, are generally slow and calm and usually very gentle. But they are shy and if your BP is happy, he's going to hide all day every day. So they aren't the best display animals. And they can stress if handled a lot. They can be finicky eaters at times too. But they are very sweet snakes and the variety is endless!

Have you considered a dwarf species of boa?? Hog Island boas generally don't get more than 5-6 feet (about the size of a kingsnake). Boas will give you the best of both those worlds: docile lap snakes that do not stress easily, eating machines, great display animals, gentle personalities!

Just a thought - hope this is helpful!!
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

BPnet Senior Member Royal Hijinx's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,155 Posts
    Have you looked into a Western Hognose?

I do agree that a BP would be a good start as well, as long as you have the husbandry requirements dialed in.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I don't know anything about kingsnakes, but there are active inquisitive balls out there too.
    Half of mine like to just sit on my lap when I handle them. The other half wants to explore the room. It's really an individual thing.

All of my snakes started out very very shy. With regular handling, some get over their shyness.

Thanks
    I truly appreciate all the advice...I am in this for the long run, and just want to make the RIGHT decision.

Thanks
    The colubrids are nice and easy care-wise compared to most others but they are more active. My corns have learned to hold on though when I have them out. However, if I sit down, they are ready to go explore.
    My bp's are more 'lap snakes' but Ceti does enjoy exploring too. Depending on my mood, I'll take out one or the other. If I'm going to be up and moving, it's the corns. For sitting in front of the comp or tv, it's a ball.
    Also, has anyone warned you yet how addictive snakes can be? If you're like most snake owners, you may just end up with one of each.
    Ball Pythons: 1.1 Pastave (Regulus and Ceti), 0.1 Albino (Aria), 0.1 Lesser (Daenerys), 0.1 Mojave (Sangria), 1.0 Enchi Pastel (Declan), 0.1 Normal (Sydney), 1.0 Lesser pos. het Clown/Pied (Loki), 1.0 het Clown pos. het lavender albino (Liam), 0.2 het Clown (Cara and Milly)

Corn Snakes: 1.0 Blizzard (Flurry)

Other: 0.1 Bearded Dragon (Faranth), 0.1 Russian Tortoise (Henry), 1.1 Dogs (Floppy and Lucy), 2.1 Cats (Jack, Brando, and Godiva), 1 Very Understanding Husband

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts
    Having raised both, I still find more enjoyment out of anything thats a Boid, you'll get more pleasure out of handling a beefy snake versus the thinner, yet long colubrids. Kingsnakes are generally sweet snakes, and have very interesting personalities, they are feisty feeders for the most part, and the Mexican Black is a sweet looking snake . . .

That being said, Ball Pythons are more forgiving if you handle them less than a Kingsnake, I found that my kings would typically lose that super tameness if I stopped handling them with at least week intervals. I have some balls that don't get handled but every 2-3 weeks, and they've done just fine with never changing temperament.

Again though, it's all about what makes you happy, and what you find attractive and appealing. If you want a snake that will ALWAYS try and put on a show in the cage, king snake will be better, if you want a snake that can be stunning in its own right just sitting there, get a ball, you'll enjoy it. Look into all the morphs before just going down to PetCo and buying a baby ball on sale for $29. There's nothing wrong with normals, but there is a lot special about some of the morphs out there.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

Ohio but looking to relocate grrrr new laws!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stuka1166 View Post
    Hello all...

New to the forum...In the process of shopping for a snake.

I have it narrowed to a BP or a king snake...specifically a Mexican Black.

I am looking for a snake that can be handled and interacted with...A docile demeanor as well.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thank you...
    cant go wrong with a ball. extremely docile for the most part. there are always exceptions! ive got one out of 40 that takes a swing at me everytime i pull open its tub. lol just wanted to make that point. they all have different personalities. I would suggest going to a reptile expo and looking around before you decide for sure. I also agree with the others on here. once you decide what you want get the setup ready and running for about a week before you bring one home. Reptiles are like potatoe chips. Once you open the bag no way you're only gonna have one. lol. Good luck and happy herping!
    Come see what's new with us at https://www.facebook.com/BFEPetsandSupply

Happy Herping!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast