Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,044

1 members and 3,043 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

OK planning for the future

I am a rookie novice so I am streesing that I am not going into this lightly. My son has a very cool snake now daddy wants one but one step higher , also I am letting my wife think it is for her . Now before I buy a morph I am going to save up my money to get one of the animal plastics setups like Serpent merchent has ( I love that setup) . Now after I get this new setup and it is all set I am letting my wife pic (her new snake ) I told her to choose a dominant morph to breed Fang to later down the road. Which morph should I push her towards , I like spiders and Cinnamons , would love one day to get a pewter as well.

I am a addict and now I find myself reading about these snakes alot more.

Thanks
    Spiders are my favorite low-end morph. But if you're willing to spend the money on a pewter, you may as well get a bumblebee. They're roughly the same price (bees may be a little more, but not by much). Since it seems like you're looking to breed, a bee might be a good choice because it's a double trait. It's like breeding to a pastel and a spider at the same time. You get more variety in the possible offspring.
    0.0.1 normal ball python - Ramses
    1.0 lesser ball python - Adam
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Crowley
    0.1 normal 100% het albino BCI - LeVeau
    0.1 pit bull/boxer mix - Piper

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SpartaDog For This Useful Post:

KrazyKevin (04-29-2012)

Thanks
    I like SpartaDog's idea. You could get a bumblebee female and later get a cinnamon or black pastel male. With the cinnamon you could make cinna bees and pewters and with the black pastel male you could make black widows and black pewters. I love the black widows
    Ball Pythons(1)
    1.0 Black Butter - Maple
    0.1 Cinny - Spicy
    0.1 Pastel Calico - Sage
    0.1 Enchi - Willow
    0.2 Pastel - Sarena, Claudia
    0.1 Pinstripe Spotnose -Eve
    0.1 Pastel Pied - Trinity
    0.1 Lavender Albino - Zoe
    0.1 Ivory - Flare
    0.1 Spider - Medusa
    Ball Pythons(2)
    0.1 Pastel Het Hypo -
    0.1 Pastel YB - Kallisto
    0.1 Lesser Bee - Kaede
    0.1 Mystic Fire - Gabi
    0.1 Calico -
    1.0 SuperStripe -
    1.0 BEL -
    0.3 Mojaves -
    0.2 Lessers -
    0.2 Normal -
    Carpet Pythons
    0.1 50% Diamond x 50% Jungle - Jimma
    1.0 Coastal x Jungle - Java
    1.0 Coastal Jaguar Ps Het Albino - Jag
    1.0 Albino -
    0.1 Zebra -
    0.2 Red Coastals -
    0.2 Red Coastal Jags -
    0.1 Jag Chaos clutch -
    0.1 JagSib Chaos clutch -
    0.0.1 Tweener -
    0.1 unknown Probable Coastal -
    Retics
    1.0 50% SD Amel - Pythagoras
    0.2 50% SD Ps Het Amel - Bindy, Grey

Thanks
    I love the idea but I want to start small and then work up to a pewter or a bumble bee as they are more then I can afford right now. Also before I get into breeding them I am going to make sure I have the space in my home and get all my research done, but I do plan on breeding and try to make a lil extra cash down the road. I am going slow with that process as I do not want to go in full throttle and wind up killing any snakes.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    Double gene animals cost more up front, but for breeding are a better bang for the buck in the long run. If you're only interested in cool pets that you can breed for fun, steer her toward the one you like the best

Once you start producing babies, it opens up your options for trading with other hobbyist breeders, which is an inexspensive way to add to your collection.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

KrazyKevin (04-29-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts
    I love the spiders and bees. So that's the route I would go. I don't think the bees are a whole lot more than spiders. Good job planning ahead though. Just wait till you have a rack full of bps, and decide you need a boa too...... Which by the way, are awesome. That was our last addition.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

KrazyKevin (04-29-2012)

Thanks
    Pinstripes, Spiders, and Pastels are great CoDom traits which give you more than normal the first time they breed. If you like Cinnamons Black Pastels are super close and are in a ton of super nice morphs. Honestly there is no wrong choice, it's all preference. If you are interested in breeding them you should check out the Morph List by World of Ball Pythons and see what morphs make up the snakes you would like to "make" and go from there.

Soon you will find (as we did) that three years is a long time to go (time it takes hatching to be breeding size typically) not to add new snakes to your collection. I'm sure you will find that you will have two snakes one day, blink, and have ten lol

Good luck adding to your collection. I'm sure you will change your mind several times before you decide on what morph you just have to have.
    Facebook - Stare Worthy Serpents
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stare...76771925806600

Instragram - StareWorthySerpent

11. The Following User Says Thank You to M&H For This Useful Post:

KrazyKevin (04-29-2012)

Thanks
    Thanks slim and I never thought of trading. Now when I do start to breed and and get a brother and sister that are both morphed is it wrong to have them mate ( I know humans and dogs shouldnt ) but with them being cold blooded I didn't know if it would still cause problems.

Thanks
    Thanks Dr. and M&H , I have a feeling also once my wife gets( her )own snake this could get out of hand lol as then I will say hey you know what I want to get myself one

Thanks
    Breeding brother to sister or offspring to parent isn't a big deal in snakes so long as you don't do it generation after generation. Once or twice, sure, but not more than that or you'll start having issues. Plus you don't know how often it was done in any particular snake's genetics so some people are wary about breeding back. When recessive morphs (like pieds or albinos or clowns) started coming in inbreeding was just about the only way to make more of those snakes for a while. You bred the male to females then either bred the daughters back to dad or the siblings to each other. Or the other way if your original snake was a female.
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Inarikins For This Useful Post:

KrazyKevin (04-29-2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast