Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,869

0 members and 2,869 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopylove View Post
    The heat lamp is separated from the rest of the enclosure through a wire mesh so I know he hacn't access it. He also only has the one log which sits back against a wall though he never goes in it, he likes to lay on top of it for hours. The other hide is a cave not a log which he rarely goes in, just once in a while. He likes to be out climbing on his bushes/braches. The cage is not all open it is all covered in trees and such. I mist his tank a few times a day.
    Ball pythons aren't really climbers. His activity may be due to stress from being so exposed. The phrase is "a hiding bp is a happy bp." What are your temps and how are you measuring them?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    1.0 Spider "Charlie"
    1.1 Normal "Precious" "Chumley"
    0.1 Pastel "Sweet Dee"
    1.1 Mojave "Stewie" "Little Bit"
    0.1 Lesser "Sally"
    1.0 Pied "Jack"
    1.0 Nile Monitor "Superman"
    0.1 Bearded Dragons "Snookie"
    0.0.1 Sulcuta Tortoise "Kenny Powers"
    1.0 Chocolate lab "Dante"
    1.0 Now snake obsessed boyfriend

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jbean7916 For This Useful Post:

Slim (04-29-2012)

Thanks

Re: Posted earlier about my BP lookin funny...pics

"Currently the top level is at 90 and the bottom at 85 and the cooler level is at 77. Humidity is at 53 and usually stays between 45 and 55. I did put him in to soak a little while ago, he stayed in there for about 10 minutes and then wanted out. "

He's not stressed or unhappy. I'm not really sure what this has to do with his scales? He eats regularly and sheds regularly. He enjoys his new tank when I had him in the smaller one he was always trying to get out by trying to push the lid off.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snoopylove View Post
    He's not stressed or unhappy
    How do you know?
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

CherryPython (04-29-2012)

Thanks

Because he doesn't

show signs or act the way he did when I first found him and he was stressed out. Last time he was at the vet, vet said he was healthy and good. He eats normally, sleeps normally, and sheds normally. I never said he was "active" I just said he likes to go to his different levels to chill out. He goes up to lay on his log for a while then he will go back to his cave and hide out for a while. He is not out always climbing and moving around, sorry if I made that impression.

Thanks
    That is a very very large enclosure to heat and keep humid. How do you measure temps and humidity? I believe I even answered in your last thread that it looks like stuck shed. Why start another thread on the same topic?
    I cannot imagine the humidity being perfect in such a large cage. On top of that its a bit of an impractical set up for a ball python. Not saying one couldn't live in that. But they aren't arboreal and 7 feet tall well wow. For a snake that mainly wants to hide in hole all day it's just the compleatly wrong set up.
    Point of all of this is I guess..... It would be much easier and you wouldn't have these concerns with a setup that is more traditional for a ball python. But if you are concerned there is nothing we the online forum can do for you. If you are concerned its vet time.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

Thanks
    Also you do realize that the heat lamp heats up the wire mesh around it. Still can lead to burns and other issues. Just because you Have wire mesh around it actually means nothing. Just saying....

Thanks

I didn't mean to start another thread, I am new to this. I apologize for that. I also don't know who has replied to me and who has not as I don't know how this forum thing works. As for the set up, I like it and until he starts getting sick or something because of it, it will stay. I don't mean that to be rude either. I keep up with the humidity by spraying the tank down more than a few times a day and keeping damp towls over some of the vent holes. He can't reach the light at all. Trust me, nor does he try or attempt to get near it. I have thermometers set up near the top, middle and bottom to keep up with the temps.

Thanks for your help, I think I will just take him to the vet.

Thanks
    what homegrownscales said, if the heat is at the top and it's that cold at the bottom maybe he's not getting enough heat. Mine wouldn't even leave the ground if she had the option to go that high...
    Also they dont have the best sense of gravity, maybe he's climbing to the top and free falling to the bottom.

Send in your two cents!
    Http://Yourtwocentsworth.com
    Last edited by Scubaf250; 04-29-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks
    I understand about being the new to forum thing. I was just curious wasn't trying to be rude. But for a set up that your been running for less than 6 months and you're already having concerns I wouldn't say waiting until he gets sick is the best option. Vets are expensive. Why wait for him to get sick? That could be a great setup for a different species it's just not a good set up for a ball. Husbandry and set up have everything to do with a reptiles immune system. The more improper a set up is the more issues you will have. But... Where people go wrong is issues dont happen overnight and neither do illness' with these guys.
    I'm sorry it just doesn't make sense to me why you'd be willing to risk the animal falling from 7 ft, getting burnt (because in all reality when you don't expect it and underestimate these animals you will have issues), bad sheds, and Ris from low humidity, regurges and not eating from no belly heat, or imporoper thermal regulation zones....... The list can go on but....point is, why in the world would you be willing to risk the animals health, safety, and well being when you could change it now and not go through ALLLLLLL of that?
    I'm not trying to be rude so please don't take it like that. And hey he could have no issues sure, but if you are concerned enough to end up going to the vet or ask a forum now, why not take the advice of folks that have been doing this for a ton of years collectively and have been there done that? Again just a suggestion.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

What happens when you rub the area with a damp paper towel?

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12