Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,057

2 members and 3,055 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Posted earlier about my BP lookin funny...pics

So I posted earlier about him looking wierd. His scales seem really dry and discolored. I tried my best to get pics but it is still somewhat hard to see. I also noticed when taking the pics he is real jumpy/sensitive when I touch him and he never used to be like that. I've never posted pics here so hope this works...

The scarring to the left was from his last shed but the discoloring and "scratch" marks were not there...

Thanks
    I"m not truly sure, have you considered it being bits of stuck shed?
    _____________Khulric_____________
    1.0 Common Snapping Turtle
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.2 Ball pythons
    1.4 Western Hognose
    1.0 Dumerils Boa
    0.3 Leopard Geckos

Thanks

re

well his last shed was close to two months ago and I never noticed the discoloration before now. Maybe I just never saw it, am just worried about him.

Thanks

Re: re

If mine start to look like that I wrap them in either warm wet towels for a few hours, or soak them in warm water. I sometimes get those also, but I am not sure what causes it. What is the humidity up too? I try to keep mine in the 50ish range. (45-60%) Also what are your temperatures like? What type of heat source? I have one of my normal get burnt really bad,and dried out because I used a light that was quite simply to powerful. It was the Exo-Terra Solar glo 160w bulb. Just somethings that you might try.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    If mine start to look like that I wrap them in either warm wet towels for a few hours, or soak them in warm water. I sometimes get those also, but I am not sure what causes it. What is the humidity up too? I try to keep mine in the 50ish range. (45-60%) Also what are your temperatures like? What type of heat source? I have one of my normal get burnt really bad,and dried out because I used a light that was quite simply to powerful. It was the Exo-Terra Solar glo 160w bulb. Just somethings that you might try.
    Last december I built a custom cage for him. It is a 7 foot tall enclosure with three levels. The top level consists of his log for his basking. At the top I have a heat lamp which sits like 3-4 feet above him(he can't reach it to get burnt). The middle level is the cooler level and his water bowl is there. The bottom level has another hide along with a heat pad below it. Currently the top level is at 90 and the bottom at 85 and the cooler level is at 77. Humidity is at 53 and usually stays between 45 and 55. I did put him in to soak a little while ago, he stayed in there for about 10 minutes and then wanted out.

Thanks

I don't know that to tell you. Call a vet if your worried, and have them look. It would put your mind at easy. I would rather spend a vet fee to find out if anything is wrong; then to wake up one morning, and my BP is dead. Not saying that will happen, but what is it going to hurt?

Thanks
    It looks like hes scratched himself. How are you monitoring overall temps and humidity in that large of an enclosure? Balls typically don't care for open spaces, can we see pics of your set up?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    1.0 Spider "Charlie"
    1.1 Normal "Precious" "Chumley"
    0.1 Pastel "Sweet Dee"
    1.1 Mojave "Stewie" "Little Bit"
    0.1 Lesser "Sally"
    1.0 Pied "Jack"
    1.0 Nile Monitor "Superman"
    0.1 Bearded Dragons "Snookie"
    0.0.1 Sulcuta Tortoise "Kenny Powers"
    1.0 Chocolate lab "Dante"
    1.0 Now snake obsessed boyfriend

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jbean7916 For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (04-29-2012),KrazyKevin (04-29-2012),Slim (04-29-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snoopylove View Post
    At the top I have a heat lamp which sits like 3-4 feet above him(he can't reach it to get burnt)
    Ball Pythons don't bask in the way that bearded dragons and turtles do. They do far better with belly and ambient heat for thermo regulation.

Is this heat lamp covered? Just because it's 3 feet above his top shelf, doesn't mean he can't get up there. The reason I say this is because that looks like it could be a burn to me.

Also, I urge you to get rid of those half log hides and use something more secure. The open ends of those log hides don't work well for ball pythons. They like to fee surrounded on all sides when in a hide.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (04-29-2012),The Serpent Merchant (04-29-2012)

Thanks
    What jbean said sounds like a very big enclosure.

Thanks

Re: Posted earlier about my BP lookin funny...pics

The heat lamp is separated from the rest of the enclosure through a wire mesh so I know he hacn't access it. He also only has the one log which sits back against a wall though he never goes in it, he likes to lay on top of it for hours. The other hide is a cave not a log which he rarely goes in, just once in a while. He likes to be out climbing on his bushes/braches. The cage is not all open it is all covered in trees and such. I mist his tank a few times a day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast