Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,005

3 members and 3,002 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

What would you do?

Long story short, I was at my brother in laws, and he hasn't been taking care of his bp. Cage was filthy, old sheds laying everywhere, feces, empty water bowl, no thermometer or hygrometer, only heat is a 75 watt red bulb. For some reason her hide wasn't in the cage either. She was curled up in the corner, half shed, eye caps still on. I cleaned the cage out, gave her water, and put her hide back in.

I told him that I would buy her if he wasn't going to mess with her, and he said he was planning to clean the cage "next week". He said he wanted 100 and won't go lower, and I can't afford it right now. She is a reduced pattern normal. I don't want her to die, any suggestions?
    1.1 Norm (Iggy & Rosey)
    1.0 Spider (Levi)

"It is what it is."

Thanks
    What sort of relationship do you two have?

Could go from just taking it, to calling animal protection (or threatening to), to avoiding the situation entirely if the guy is a nutter...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pythown For This Useful Post:

mitchball519 (04-11-2012)

BPnet Veteran C&H Exotic Morphs's Avatar
    Thanks
    Have to tried to point him in our(BP.net) direction or atleast shown him a proper care sheet for his BP? IF he is interested in keeping her and taking care of her maybe you could offer to help him get her and his husbandry back into shape.
    Or if he really doesn't want her and you do want to buy her from him, maybe you 2 could work out some kind of payment plan since you are family.

Thanks
    We don't talk to much, but nothing against him really. He has had her for about 8 months. I got my bp 3 months ago, and never really took notice to how much it is neglected until I had one. My 7 month male is almost as big as her, and she is almost 2. I should just take her lol, but will I get in trouble if he reports me for stealing?
    1.1 Norm (Iggy & Rosey)
    1.0 Spider (Levi)

"It is what it is."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    yes you will. it is still stealing(although your intentions are good). i would say as bad as it is let the snake go and just pester the sh*t out of him about his husbandry conditions. there is no sense in buying her, it just gives him money to go buy another one. thats why i hate to go into petco or any chain pet store and look at the reptiles because you feel guilty and want to help them but the truth is in 2 weeks they will just have 5 more in the same tank

let us know how it goes.
    also do you know if the snake is healthy,Mites? feeding? no sense in bring a sick animal into your home and risking your pets.
    Tom
    Tom

Ball Pythons
    Females: Poss. het albino (Angel),Albino (Corona),Pastel Lesser (Lila),Pinstripe Het Albino (Sandy), Pastel Pied (Pandora),
    Males: Black Pastel Het Albino (Diablo),Piebald (Atlas),Killerbee (King)

Morelia
    0.1 Jungle carpet python (Sage)
    0.0.1 Green tree python (Unknown)

Misc.
    0.1 Snow Corn (Roxy)
    0.1 Bearded dragon (Coral-Blood X Red/Citrus)
    1.0 Diamond Back Terrapin(Crush)

Thanks
    She looks healthy besides the terrible looking stuck shed. He says he feeds her every 2 weeks, but who knows. I didn't see any mites. I also told him to soak her to get the shed off, but he wanted me to do it and I didn't. I don't want to make it a habit of me taking care of HIS animal.
    1.1 Norm (Iggy & Rosey)
    1.0 Spider (Levi)

"It is what it is."

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    i would say tell him, if you want me to take care of your animals, just give me him. end of story. if he says no then tell him he has to take responsibility and grow up. Animals that are in peoples houses can not fend for them self so they depend on us to help them. Whats the point of owning an animals if you can not take care of their basic needs, just give it to someone who will.

Tom
    Tom

Ball Pythons
    Females: Poss. het albino (Angel),Albino (Corona),Pastel Lesser (Lila),Pinstripe Het Albino (Sandy), Pastel Pied (Pandora),
    Males: Black Pastel Het Albino (Diablo),Piebald (Atlas),Killerbee (King)

Morelia
    0.1 Jungle carpet python (Sage)
    0.0.1 Green tree python (Unknown)

Misc.
    0.1 Snow Corn (Roxy)
    0.1 Bearded dragon (Coral-Blood X Red/Citrus)
    1.0 Diamond Back Terrapin(Crush)

Thanks

Re: What would you do?

i went through a similar situation with my brother however i know my brother has a good heart and just is stupid i helped him he got a good setup and i stopped by and checked on his stuff he it was going well tell his gf stole his boa and moved out of state lol sucks

Thanks
    I text my brother in law today, and I'm picking the snake up tomorrow. 35 bucks tomorrow and 35 down the road whenever. Comes with 20 gallon tank and everything in it. I'll put a pic up after I soak her and get the shed/eye caps off.
    1.1 Norm (Iggy & Rosey)
    1.0 Spider (Levi)

"It is what it is."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

Re: What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchball519 View Post
    I text my brother in law today, and I'm picking the snake up tomorrow. 35 bucks tomorrow and 35 down the road whenever. Comes with 20 gallon tank and everything in it. I'll put a pic up after I soak her and get the shed/eye caps off.
    Sounds like a good news story all the way around.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Slim For This Useful Post:

mitchball519 (04-12-2012)