Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,533

2 members and 3,531 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Reptile Basics Rack/Paper Substrate

so i am going to be getting the reptile basics sweater box rack, and i really want to move my bps on to unprinted newspaper since cypress mulch is getting so expensive. Question is how is the reptile basics rack at holding humidity with paper substrate? will the water bowl be enough to keep the correct humidity?
    for people with RBI racks do you have to put holes in the tubs or is there enough air flow without holes?

thanks for the help
    Tom
    Tom

Ball Pythons
    Females: Poss. het albino (Angel),Albino (Corona),Pastel Lesser (Lila),Pinstripe Het Albino (Sandy), Pastel Pied (Pandora),
    Males: Black Pastel Het Albino (Diablo),Piebald (Atlas),Killerbee (King)

Morelia
    0.1 Jungle carpet python (Sage)
    0.0.1 Green tree python (Unknown)

Misc.
    0.1 Snow Corn (Roxy)
    0.1 Bearded dragon (Coral-Blood X Red/Citrus)
    1.0 Diamond Back Terrapin(Crush)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 831 Posts
    Someone with more experience will chime in, but I think in a rack setup with paper substrate you essentially want the humidity in the room to match what you want in the tub. Maybe you'll get it 4 or 5% higher in a tub. I think if there was a substantial differential there it would be an indication of too little ventilation.

That said I am able to raise my humidity a few percent by moving the water bowl so it sits half on a heated area. I also use 12" tape though, so I have the room to pull that off without restricting a hot spot for the snake... can't comment on your specific rack.
    Dreamtime Exotics -- Check it out!
    Ball Pythons, Monitors, Saltwater Reef, Fancy Rats, Ferrets

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    I use the same RBI rack that you are getting, and I use indented craft paper for substrate.

I have 6 holes on each end of my tubs. Drilled low on the front side, and drilled high on the back side. The holes are each slightly smaller than a dime.

When my snakes are not in shed I use a small ceramic water bowl like the ones you can find at most mom & pop pet stores. With the small bowl, my humidity stays right around 57%.

When I see my snakes going into shed, I switch to a shallower "dog dish" type water bowl that gives more surface area to the water. With that set up, my humidity goes to around 68%. The ambient humidity in my house is around 35% this time of year.

I place my water bowls on the cool send of the tub because they are easier to reach for changing. I have not experimented with putting them on the warm end.

Hope this helps.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts

Re: Reptile Basics Rack/Paper Substrate

Quote Originally Posted by MrLang View Post
    Maybe you'll get it 4 or 5% higher in a tub. I think if there was a substantial differential there it would be an indication of too little ventilation.
    The RBI Racks hold humidity very well, and ventilate nicely. That's why I drill my holes in the front of the tub low and drill them high on the rear of the tub. The rear of the tub is the warmest, so when that air escapes through the high holes, it pulls new air in the front through the low holes. A basic thermal pump concept.
    Last edited by Slim; 04-09-2012 at 03:44 PM.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like