Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,851

0 members and 2,851 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

sphagnum moss what is the right/best way to use

I just need help keeping my humidity up, so I bought a box of sphagnum moss what is the best way to use it? Do you have to keep in a hide box or can you just put some In the tank?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: sphagnum moss what is the right/best way to use

When I used tanks I would make a humid hide. I would just make the moss wet and not soaking wet and put it into the hide.

Thanks

I pre-moisten mine with water, then add it to the cage in a layer under a hiding spot, as well as around the edges of the hiding spot. I sometimes will also add some drier moss around the water bowl if it's a snake that routinely dumps water out, the dry moss will absorb the spilt water and keep the bedding from getting too soaked.

There's no "wrong" way to use it, but keep in mind once you put it on the warm side, to keep checking it. It often dries out quickly.

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LLLReptile View Post
    I pre-moisten mine with water, then add it to the cage in a layer under a hiding spot, as well as around the edges of the hiding spot. I sometimes will also add some drier moss around the water bowl if it's a snake that routinely dumps water out, the dry moss will absorb the spilt water and keep the bedding from getting too soaked.

There's no "wrong" way to use it, but keep in mind once you put it on the warm side, to keep checking it. It often dries out quickly.

-Jen
    Thanks so much and also once it does dry out should I just replace it with new moist moss or is there a limit to how many times you can moisten it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakeluvr#3 View Post
    Thanks so much and also once it does dry out should I just replace it with new moist moss or is there a limit to how many times you can moisten it?
    No limit, just when it gets "funky" swap it out. On average, I find the new zealand stuff can last for a couple months, longer if it doesn't get poop on it, but that almost never happens...

-Jen
    LLLReptile and Supply Company, Inc -- Your one stop herp shops online, and retail stores in Southern California!
    Check us out on facebook - www.facebook.com/LLLReptile
    For questions about products or animals, or customer service questions, please call our toll free number at 888-547-3784.

Registered User Cameron Lamb Exotics's Avatar
    Thanks
    You can just rewet it, no as long as its clean. Onces it gets completely soaked a few times though it starts to get mushy. If you put it in the hide it will stay wetter longer as opposed to just putting it in the cage.

Thanks
    I put mine inside their hides when I notice they're in shed. Otherwise I always reuse it unless its soiled. I also use the moss for my geckos inside their humid hide/lay box.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    1.2 Normal Ball Pythons
    1.1 Pastel Ball Pythons
    0.1 Mojave Ball Python
    1.0 Cinnamon Spinner Ball Python
    0.1 Firefly
    0.1 Cinnabee
    0.1 het Russo
    0.1 Champagne het Russo
    0.1 Sugar

2.2 Leopard Geckos
    1.0 Bearded Dragon

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I also only use it when there is shed sign. Just place the humid hide in and lightly damp moss with in it and that is about all there is to it. The only other comment i have is avoid closed holes if you use a container and cut a hole in the lid cut it from the edge enclosed holes (solid plastic surrounding the opening) have been know to cause snakes to get stuck. A U shaped one if the snake pushes hard it pops off.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

MrLang (04-23-2012)

Thanks

I had a problem with humidity too and so I bought sphagnum moss. Aside from a humid hide, I sprinkle some around the cage so when I mist the cage it gets damp.

Thanks

There really is no wrong way to use it, except by over-moistening it and making the climate too humid haha.. In my local pet store they use Oregon sphagnum moss in their cages to regulate humidity over long periods of time (I'm there at least once a week to buy crickets for my reptile babies so I've gotten a good repoire with the owners/workers haha) so that's what I use and I've had no problems. Just don't use too much at once, figure out a good ratio by adding in bit by bit.