Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,818

2 members and 2,816 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    I did a quick google search and found this.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6196225.stm

Apparently males are produced in Komodos because they have Z and W chromosomes with ZW being female and ZZ being male. When they produce through pathogenesis either the Z or W gets copied. WW isn't viable but ZZ is so all her offspring are male.
    1.2 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Coastal Carpet Python
    0.0.1 Nicaraguan Boa
    1.1 Corn Snakes
    0.1 Jungle Corn
    1.0 Texas Rat Snake

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bioteacher View Post
    Brewster - Do you have a copy of the Komodo paper? I'd love to read it since you said males were produced.

Foxtuning - try live pinkies left in overnight to get Tails to feed.
    I have tried them a few times. She has refused everytime. So I'm getting to the point where a possible assisted feeding might be the only way. She hasn't even eaten once. Temps/humidity is one and she has several hides, so well see what happens. She isn't acting sick or anything so that's good. I'll grab some new pics ASAP.
    Morph Militia
    -Founding Father

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtuning65 View Post
    I have tried them a few times. She has refused everytime. So I'm getting to the point where a possible assisted feeding might be the only way. She hasn't even eaten once. Temps/humidity is one and she has several hides, so well see what happens. She isn't acting sick or anything so that's good. I'll grab some new pics ASAP.
    Have you tried switching feeders. I'm not sure how big new born rainbow boas are but switching between mice, rat, quail, chicks, or maybe even African soft furred pinkies could trigger a feeding response.

You could also try scenting with a lizard or frog. I don't know about rainbow boas but I know many species of snakes as babies are programed to eat those.
    1.2 Ball Pythons
    0.1 Coastal Carpet Python
    0.0.1 Nicaraguan Boa
    1.1 Corn Snakes
    0.1 Jungle Corn
    1.0 Texas Rat Snake

Thanks
    I will definitely look into different feeders. I had her out earlier today and she's acting normal. I just hope she eats soon.
    Morph Militia
    -Founding Father

Thanks
    Just a quick update on my two little girls. Skull is growing fast and eating frozen thawed with no issues. Tails has tried to eat twice but was in shed both times. It's crazy. Anytime one is in blue the other is in blue and sheds as well. They always shed at the latest one day apart. These two little babies are amazing. Still working on tails feeding again though.
    Morph Militia
    -Founding Father

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Foxtuning65 For This Useful Post:

Capray (07-14-2012)

Thanks
    Update!
    Got little tails to eat. I took a pinky and pressed it up against her nose and she opened her mouth and took it. It took her a few minutes to get it down but she ate. It's nice to be putting some weight on the little one. As for skull, she is growing crazy fast and has been taking pinkies off of the tongs like a champ. I will grab some pictures of skull tonight. Don't know if I want to bother tails.
    Morph Militia
    -Founding Father

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foxtuning65 For This Useful Post:

771subliminal (07-16-2012),thedarkwolf25 (07-16-2012),Wh00h0069 (07-16-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Miracle rainbow boa litter

Quote Originally Posted by Lferg View Post
    No male since 2008?? She's been slipping out at night and running the streets
    I have to agree! I can't believe she had babies after that long, what on earth!?! Has she been with any "females" since then?

edit, just realized this thread is super old, but still cool!
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 07-18-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks
    Haha it's ok that it's old I still update it. And she has not been with Any other snakes. I keep everyone separated so these babies are truly miracles.
    Morph Militia
    -Founding Father

Thanks

Any conformation From Dr Booth yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster320 View Post
    I did a quick google search and found this.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6196225.stm

Apparently males are produced in Komodos because they have Z and W chromosomes with ZW being female and ZZ being male. When they produce through pathogenesis either the Z or W gets copied. WW isn't viable but ZZ is so all her offspring are male.

Quote Originally Posted by minguss View Post
    Actually yes you still could, and even if one is male does not disprove parthenogenesis. Males are the normal homogametic sex ZZ and normal females are ZW. The WW females produced by parthenogensis are oddities. I believe the BWC partho litter was the first confirmed viable WW females offspring in vertebrates. So ZZ and WW Partho babies will be completely homozygous, whether male or female. In most species partho babies are full clones of the mother and still ZW.

http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.o...2010.0793.full
    BOAS
    1.0 Pastel Dream ghost poss 66% het sharp,1.2 Monstertail dh Sharp Sunglow,1.0 Monstertail het Sharp, 1.0 Hypo poss 50% het Albino 50% strip, 1.0 Mexican BCI, 0.1 Classic Columbia type, 0.1 Mexican BCI / Brazilian BCC cross, 0.1 Albino 25% Suriname cross, 0.1 Sharp 66% het anery, 1.1 66% poss Parahet, 0.1 arabesque poss jungle, 1.0 anery het sharp, 0.1 lemke/lucy pastel salmon 50% het anery 1.1 aney kenyan sand boa, 1.1 bullseye/pearl brb
    BALLS
    1.0 spider,1.0 fire, 1.0 ghost, 0.1 pastel, 0.1 pastel het ghost, 0.2 normal

Thanks

I know your thread is old but thought I would share. I have a ball python that just laid eggs 4 slugs and one that looks viable. She has never been with a male I have had her 15 years and she was a baby when I got her. Did you leave the slugs in until the babies hatched or should I get rid of them? I am hopeful that I have a miracle baby

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast