Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,813

0 members and 2,813 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member TheSnakeEye's Avatar
    Thanks

Lesson for All *GRAPHIC*

Before you scroll down and view the picture please read my story first. Now before I begin explaining the horror that has happened to me, let me tell you how I feed my snakes. I pick up the rats usually in the evenings, which means the snakes are in hunt mode, I go home and just drop them in. All of my snakes are great eaters, if they haven't struck in the first 5 minutes it's because they don't want to eat. So when I feed I hang around until everyone has swallowed their food and move w.e has been eaten to a hold bin for a few days and try again.

Well last night was feeding day, I went out grabbed my feeders, came home and placed the rats in the snake tub. Everyone except my male Pastel Lesser & Mocha had eaten. I figured he didn't eat because he's in breeding mode and I figured she didn't eat because I think she's gravid. So I grabbed her rat in gave it to one of my normals. I couldn't do the same for him because my only other snake thaat could eat a rat that large was still swallowing her current prey. So I waited...

Then all of a sudden an emergency came up where I had to rush over to my grandmother (she lives in the same house). About 2 hours later, everything was said and done and I go back to my room. I lay down in bed and hear some noise coming from the rack. I jump out of bed, turn the lights on and see a rat in the corner of the Pastel Lesser's tub still alive. So I went to get him out and place him another tub, when I saw the horror! In just a few short hours, he chewed my Pastel Lesser like if he hadn't eaten in days and was desperate for food. You have no idea how sick to my stomach I got when I saw the damage. Mind you this was just in a couple of hours, I can't imagine what would have happened if I had let him stay for a few more hours.

I NEVER leave rats in my tubs with the snakes, NEVER! I've seen what can be done, but unfortunately an emergency popped up and this one rat slipped my mind. As of now, I cleaned out his tub, put him on paper towel and showered him with hydrogen peroxide. I'm letting it dry so I can apply an ointment like Neosporin on it. I don't know what to do. The tip of his tail is so chewed up that I don't know if it will stick back together or if he will just end up losing it.

First things first, I have to make sure all the wounds scab so the wounds close. From there I'll just continue treating him until the scabs are gone and the wounds are closed. This puts a huge stop in my breeding plans as he is my only male breeder, but his health comes first. Poor little guy...

For those of you who feed live, this is a perfect example as to why you should monitor feeding at all costs. This happened in just a few hours, imagine what could have happened if I would have left him over night or a full day.

Instagram: @NexusReptiles
    Faunaclassifieds: spujol26
    BLBC: spujol26
    www.facebook.com/TheSnakeEye07

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to TheSnakeEye For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

angllady2 (03-01-2012),axeman569 (03-05-2012),blueberrypancakes (03-01-2012),Bluebonnet Herp (01-16-2014),Coleslaw007 (01-05-2013),DNACurtusK (01-04-2013),DooLittle (01-21-2013),heathers*bps (03-01-2012),Jonas@Balls2TheWall (03-01-2012),meowmeowkazoo (03-01-2012),Mft62485 (03-01-2012),OhhWatALoser (03-01-2012),Redemption Reptiles (03-02-2012),SoFarAway (04-15-2012),The Serpent Merchant (01-04-2013),wolfy-hound (03-01-2012)

Thanks
    I had a similar thing happen a long time ago with my normal male. The rat was in for only 30min-1hour and chewed the tip of his tail off. Much like yourself something came up and I got pulled away and came back to something so terrible. I wonder sometimes why the snakes dont attack/kill the rat just out of defense when these things happen.

I am very sorry to hear keep us updated on how the healing goes.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Normal Het Orange Ghost Ball Python
    0.1 Mojave Ball python
    0.1 Orange Ghost Ball python
    0.1 Orange Ghost Het Caramel Ball python
    0.1 Spotted Python
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Oh my GOD I want to cry, I can't imagine how you feel right now

Thank you for posting this, although it was a HUGE mistake to leave a live rat in there with the snake, a lot of people can learn from this. I'm so sorry this happened. Figures the ONE time you screw something up it goes horribly wrong, it works that way with everything

I wish him a speedy recovery, keep those wounds cleaned. I'd be on high alert for infection....
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

sandra (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Best of wishes to you and your snake. Keep us updated on how he progresses in his health. Poor little guy

Thanks
    I can't imagine how terrible you must feel. It's a perfect example of what could happen to even the most conscientious and careful owner. It's upsetting, but you shouldn't be too hard on yourself for tending to a human emergency.

I've never had an injury like that occur, so I can't comment on what you should do. If it were me, I'd take him right to the vet. Better safe than sorry.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    0.1 Dinker (Goliath), 1.1 Het Ghost (Hercules & Athena), 1.0 Lesser (Titan), 0.1 Het Albino (Arya), 0.1 Wild Caught (Cleopatra), 1.1 Het VPI Axanthic (Perseus & Aphrodite), 1.0 Albino (Midas), 1.0 Butter (Samson), 0.1 Spider (Delilah), 1.1 Mojave (Apollo & Pandora), 0.1 Yellowbelly (Venus), 1.1 Het Pied (Isis & Osiris), 1.0 Bumblebee (Orion), 1.0 (Poss G Stripe) Pied (Spartacus), 0.1 Normal (Bandit), 1.0 Albino Burm (Caesar),2.1 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, 0.0.1 African Dwarf Frog, 0.0.2 Vicious Fishes, 1.0 child, 1.0 husband

In Loving Memory: 1.0 Pastel Zeus, 0.1 het Albino Anya

I'm a girl, I have snakes, I have tattoos, and I have piercings.

The more I talk to humans, the more I prefer my snakes.

http://www.iherp.com/julieinnj

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    DON'T use Neo, or Peroxide for extended periods of time, what you need to get is betadine
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

9. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

cmack91 (03-01-2012),Coleslaw007 (01-05-2013),DellaF (03-01-2012),DooLittle (03-01-2012),Fila (03-01-2012),Foschi Exotic Serpents (03-02-2012),heathers*bps (03-01-2012),Inknsteel (03-01-2012),Maixx (03-02-2012),Mike41793 (03-01-2012),Rob_D (03-08-2012),Slim (03-01-2012),SoFarAway (04-15-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    I'm sorry that this happened to you.

A helpful tip for the future and safest method of feeding live: small and frequent. Not large and less often.
    Crawlers and small rats are harmless. Their claws aren't even sharp and long enough to scrape anything.

Also, untamed feeders are scared. Frightened animals have to potential to be dangerous.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by satomi325; 03-01-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: Lesson for All *GRAPHIC*

Quote Originally Posted by that_dc5 View Post
    Before you scroll down and view the picture please read my story first. Now before I begin explaining the horror that has happened to me, let me tell you how I feed my snakes. I pick up the rats usually in the evenings, which means the snakes are in hunt mode, I go home and just drop them in. All of my snakes are great eaters, if they haven't struck in the first 5 minutes it's because they don't want to eat. So when I feed I hang around until everyone has swallowed their food and move w.e has been eaten to a hold bin for a few days and try again.

Well last night was feeding day, I went out grabbed my feeders, came home and placed the rats in the snake tub. Everyone except my male Pastel Lesser & Mocha had eaten. I figured he didn't eat because he's in breeding mode and I figured she didn't eat because I think she's gravid. So I grabbed her rat in gave it to one of my normals. I couldn't do the same for him because my only other snake thaat could eat a rat that large was still swallowing her current prey. So I waited...

Then all of a sudden an emergency came up where I had to rush over to my grandmother (she lives in the same house). About 2 hours later, everything was said and done and I go back to my room. I lay down in bed and hear some noise coming from the rack. I jump out of bed, turn the lights on and see a rat in the corner of the Pastel Lesser's tub still alive. So I went to get him out and place him another tub, when I saw the horror! In just a few short hours, he chewed my Pastel Lesser like if he hadn't eaten in days and was desperate for food. You have no idea how sick to my stomach I got when I saw the damage. Mind you this was just in a couple of hours, I can't imagine what would have happened if I had let him stay for a few more hours.

I NEVER leave rats in my tubs with the snakes, NEVER! I've seen what can be done, but unfortunately an emergency popped up and this one rat slipped my mind. As of now, I cleaned out his tub, put him on paper towel and showered him with hydrogen peroxide. I'm letting it dry so I can apply an ointment like Neosporin on it. I don't know what to do. The tip of his tail is so chewed up that I don't know if it will stick back together or if he will just end up losing it.

First things first, I have to make sure all the wounds scab so the wounds close. From there I'll just continue treating him until the scabs are gone and the wounds are closed. This puts a huge stop in my breeding plans as he is my only male breeder, but his health comes first. Poor little guy...

For those of you who feed live, this is a perfect example as to why you should monitor feeding at all costs. This happened in just a few hours, imagine what could have happened if I would have left him over night or a full day.

I am so sorry that this has happened. You may not want to use any more hydrogen peroxide, it effects the tissues ability to heal. You would do better using betadine. You can pick that up at any pharmacy. I hope your snake gets better quickly.
    Last edited by ballpythonluvr; 03-01-2012 at 11:57 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That's terrible, I'm sorry that happened, but it was an accident so don't let people start attacking you for feeding live. You know and do moniter them usually from what you've said. Hey, I'd do anything to help my grandmother in an emergency. Hope he heals up fast. Again sorry this happened.
    1.0 normal (Hades)
    1.1 pastel (Snatch and Gypsy)
    1.0 pinstripe (Capone)
    0.1 spider pos het ghost
    1.0 mojave (Shrinked)
    2.3 kidz
    1.0 cat (The Cat)
    0.1 Hog Island Boa(BCI) (Calypso)
    1.2 rats (Dallas, Pinky and Bella)

0.1 sexy wife!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: Lesson for All *GRAPHIC*

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    DON'T use Neo, or Peroxide for extended periods of time, what you need to get is betadine
    You beat me to it again! LOL! Very good advice.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (03-02-2012),The Serpent Merchant (03-01-2012)

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast