Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,015

5 members and 3,010 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered User USARK.Jonathan.Brady's Avatar
    Thanks

RED ALERT: HR511 Stop Python and Boa BAN NOW!

RED ALERT: HR511 Stop Python BAN NOW!

HR 511, a bill to amend title 18, United States Code, to prohibit the importation of various injurious species of constrictor snakes; Indian python, Python molurus, including the Burmese python, Python molurus bivittatus; reticulated python, Broghammerus reticulatus; Northern African python,Python sebae; Southern African python, Python natalensis; Boa constrictor; yellow anaconda, Eunectes notaeus; DeSchauensee’s anaconda, Eunectes deschauenseei; green anaconda, Eunectes murinus; and the Beni anaconda, Eunectes beniensis, in the US House of Representatives, was introduced January 26, 2011 by Congressman Tom Rooney (R-FL) .

Congressman Rooney has taken action to move HR 511! This bill seeks to add 9 constricting snakes to the Injurious Wildlife List of the Lacey Act. HR 511 has been scheduled for a Markup Hearing before the US House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday February 28, 2012 at 10:00 AM EST.

http://judiciary.house.gov/hearings/markups112.html

>>There is very little time to voice opposition to this bill that could devistate the Reptile Community. Please participate in the USARK Call In Campaign TODAY!<<

PHONE CAMPAIGN:

Talking Points:

• Will destroy thousands of jobs and small family businesses; $104 million annual economic impact.
    • Criminalize the actions of over 1 million American Citizens; Lacey Act felons.
    • Federal action to address a localized problem in South Florida is unnecessary; the State of Florida and US Fish & Wildlife have already taken draconian measures.
    • Underlying science has been criticized by scientists from around the world.
    • Creates a massive animal welfare problem, potentially displacing millions of animals.

Key Members of House Judiciary Committee:

Lamar Smith (R-TX)- 202-225-4236
    Sensenbrenner (R-WI)- 202-225-5101
    Coble (R-NC)- 202-225-3065
    Issa (R-CA)- 202-225-3906
    Gohmert (R-TX)- 202-225-3035
    Chaffetz (R-UT)- 202-225-7751
    Gowdy (R-SC)- 202-225-6030
    Poe (R-TX)- 202-225-6565
    Goodlatte (R-VA)- 202-225-5431

DO IT NOW!!!
    For questions and comments, please email
    USARK.Jonathan.Brady@gmail.com
    JOIN USARK! http://www.usark.org/join.php

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to USARK.Jonathan.Brady For This Useful Post:

Brion99 (02-29-2012),Jonas@Balls2TheWall (02-27-2012),Nektu (02-27-2012),Saxguy101 (02-28-2012),sissysnakes (02-27-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Called each one this morning. At all times I was polite, made certain to mention the main points given above. (economic impact, lack of environmental OR public safety concern, fact that it makes innocent Americans into felons if they want to keep their pets, etc)

I start at the bottom of the lists, in case other people get interrupted and never make it to the last folks, this way we're assured all the list gets called.

Results....
    Goodlatte- VA : Aide was dismissive, gave the "I'll pass on your concerns" comment.

Poe- R-TX : Listened attentively, gave the "I'll pass on your concerns"

Gowdy R-SC : Said they won't record my objections, because I'm "not in their district". I told them it was FEDERAL and they were on a FEDERAL committee that would affect everyone in the US, therefor they should be taking EVERYONE'S concerns.

Chaffetz - UT: Said they OPPOSE the bill, that UT has industry that would be impacted, that it's not a good bill, they will not be supporting it.(This is what the local office told me weeks ago when I talked to them then about it)

Gohmert - TX : Has terrible hold music while the aide looked for someone else to talk to me, that person was busy, he listened with some interest, but was less interested when he learned I was not in his district. "I will pass on your concerns" after I repeated my insistence that this is a FEDERAL impact, thus my voice counts.

Issa - CA :Automated system, left a message. *this was the ONLY office that a live person did not pick up*

Coble - NC : The aide sounded sick, took my info, sounded like he really wanted to be home on the couch, so was very dismissive.

Sensenbrenner - WI : The aide implied there WAS a problem "cropping up across the US" regarding the species in the bill. When asked for examples of any issues, he admitted he didn't know that much about any of it. I ran through the facts for him, and he waffled, saying "Well I don't know about any of that..." and I repeated, my facts were facts, not opinions... as far as lack of ANY environmental impact anywhere except south Florida(which has bans already), the lack of public safety concerns(brought up cats causing more deaths and more environmental impact as ferals) but the aide all but implied that he himself seemed to think the bill was good. I assume(ASSume, I know, but I got no clear answer yea or nay)that THIS Congressman is FOR the bill. We should definitely be calling him repeatedly from across the country.

L. Smith - TX : This aide transferred me TO the Judiciary committee offices? Who promptly told me I should be calling Congress offices, but they would make sure Smith got my concerns. I called the office again, told the aide that the Committee offices told me I should be calling the various Congress offices, and she agreed, then told me I should call them... after admitting that Smith is the HEAD of the Committee. *eyebrow quirk* I don't know if she was confused, didn't think the HEAD of the Committee should take comments, or doesn't want to hear opposition to the Bill. She gave no hints yea or nay, but I gave her my spiel over that I oppose it and why.

I did my best to sound like a concerned US citizen, over the economic impact, the lack of benefit, etc.. not like a frantic pet owner who has half read a Email chain letter. I made certain to repeat the job loss, the lack of benefit because that's the two things that a typical Congressman might be concerned with. They don't care if we can't own a certain species of big snake. They are concerned with $$ and numbers. So I emphasized that, with a touch of "Wouldn't it look terrible if a military member has to euthanize his pet of 20 years, just because a useless Bill was passed by YOUR Congressman..." hints to a few of the aides. I referred to the animals in the Bill as "species" or "pets" instead of "constrictor snakes" or "giant maneating pythons" or anything that could evoke a "ewww snake!" response.

Hopefully there's a LOT more calls going in. The Bill is due for a hearing TOMORROW.
    Last edited by wolfy-hound; 02-27-2012 at 11:04 AM.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Emilio (02-27-2012),Jabberwocky Dragons (02-28-2012),Jonas@Balls2TheWall (02-27-2012),medusasmorphs (02-27-2012),Mft62485 (02-27-2012),neilgolli (02-27-2012),Slim (02-27-2012),wwmjkd (02-27-2012)

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    I called them all, and as stated above not much ground was made. The people who answered seemed like they didn't want to talk about snakes. Maybe that means they are getting lots of calls... We can only hope this helps.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    I will be calling within the next hour. I just wanted to comment on this thread to bump it to the top! This is important!

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Re: RED ALERT: HR511 Stop Python and Boa BAN NOW!

I shared all of this information on Facebook as soon as I learned about it this morning, and I just got done calling all of the representatives on this list, as well as some of my own state representatives. They were all friendly and polite but not really interested in talking about the issues. Several of them took down my contact information, and all of them said they would pass my opposition to the HR511 to their congress person. Let's all try to do this and hope that it helps! Please SHARE this information as well, to help increase awareness.
    ~Wendy~

RepStylin®

Reptile Collection: Amazon Tree Boas, Ball Pythons, Boa Constrictors, Brazilian Rainbow Boas, Carpet Pythons, Chondro, Corn Snakes, King Snakes, Milk Snakes and a Retic. Too many morphs to list anymore!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Called each one this morning. At all times I was polite, made certain to mention the main points given above. (economic impact, lack of environmental OR public safety concern, fact that it makes innocent Americans into felons if they want to keep their pets, etc)

I start at the bottom of the lists, in case other people get interrupted and never make it to the last folks, this way we're assured all the list gets called.

Results....
    Goodlatte- VA : Aide was dismissive, gave the "I'll pass on your concerns" comment.

Poe- R-TX : Listened attentively, gave the "I'll pass on your concerns"

Gowdy R-SC : Said they won't record my objections, because I'm "not in their district". I told them it was FEDERAL and they were on a FEDERAL committee that would affect everyone in the US, therefor they should be taking EVERYONE'S concerns.

Chaffetz - UT: Said they OPPOSE the bill, that UT has industry that would be impacted, that it's not a good bill, they will not be supporting it.(This is what the local office told me weeks ago when I talked to them then about it)

Gohmert - TX : Has terrible hold music while the aide looked for someone else to talk to me, that person was busy, he listened with some interest, but was less interested when he learned I was not in his district. "I will pass on your concerns" after I repeated my insistence that this is a FEDERAL impact, thus my voice counts.

Issa - CA :Automated system, left a message. *this was the ONLY office that a live person did not pick up*

Coble - NC : The aide sounded sick, took my info, sounded like he really wanted to be home on the couch, so was very dismissive.

Sensenbrenner - WI : The aide implied there WAS a problem "cropping up across the US" regarding the species in the bill. When asked for examples of any issues, he admitted he didn't know that much about any of it. I ran through the facts for him, and he waffled, saying "Well I don't know about any of that..." and I repeated, my facts were facts, not opinions... as far as lack of ANY environmental impact anywhere except south Florida(which has bans already), the lack of public safety concerns(brought up cats causing more deaths and more environmental impact as ferals) but the aide all but implied that he himself seemed to think the bill was good. I assume(ASSume, I know, but I got no clear answer yea or nay)that THIS Congressman is FOR the bill. We should definitely be calling him repeatedly from across the country.

L. Smith - TX : This aide transferred me TO the Judiciary committee offices? Who promptly told me I should be calling Congress offices, but they would make sure Smith got my concerns. I called the office again, told the aide that the Committee offices told me I should be calling the various Congress offices, and she agreed, then told me I should call them... after admitting that Smith is the HEAD of the Committee. *eyebrow quirk* I don't know if she was confused, didn't think the HEAD of the Committee should take comments, or doesn't want to hear opposition to the Bill. She gave no hints yea or nay, but I gave her my spiel over that I oppose it and why.

I did my best to sound like a concerned US citizen, over the economic impact, the lack of benefit, etc.. not like a frantic pet owner who has half read a Email chain letter. I made certain to repeat the job loss, the lack of benefit because that's the two things that a typical Congressman might be concerned with. They don't care if we can't own a certain species of big snake. They are concerned with $$ and numbers. So I emphasized that, with a touch of "Wouldn't it look terrible if a military member has to euthanize his pet of 20 years, just because a useless Bill was passed by YOUR Congressman..." hints to a few of the aides. I referred to the animals in the Bill as "species" or "pets" instead of "constrictor snakes" or "giant maneating pythons" or anything that could evoke a "ewww snake!" response.

Hopefully there's a LOT more calls going in. The Bill is due for a hearing TOMORROW.
    Notice that the ones that seemed to be most in favor of the ban from your observations are from states that have been trying to ban them on a state-level? SC, VA, WI.

Given that this bill overlaps with some of the species that were already put on LACEY last month, I think this is an attempt to cover Pres Obama's butt for having made his LACEY additions as an executive decision instead of a legislative one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgath92 View Post
    Notice that the ones that seemed to be most in favor of the ban from your observations are from states that have been trying to ban them on a state-level? SC, VA, WI.

Given that this bill overlaps with some of the species that were already put on LACEY last month, I think this is an attempt to cover Pres Obama's butt for having made his LACEY additions as an executive decision instead of a legislative one.
    I found the repeat species very odd as well. If it is a butt covering maneuver then it's even more likely to pass, imho.

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

I posted on Craigslist, Facebook, and myspace. I am also emailing it out to a lot of people that will take a stand that don't even like snakes
    The only way to shine your light is in the dark...Never let life kill your spark- Crown the Empire

Thanks

I don't really have a phone at the moment I can call in. but I have a bunch of other people that I can do it for me... this just erks the crap out of me... and they they don't even want to listen!!! I might be a Christian but our government is f'd up what ever happened to the bill of rights?
    The only way to shine your light is in the dark...Never let life kill your spark- Crown the Empire

Thanks
    I can't really do anything since I am at work, the best I can do is try and share this on my facebook ....
    iHerp - http://www.iherp.com/thedarkwolf25

1.1.0 Normal BP (Hera) (Eden)
    1.0.0 Pastel BP (Homer)
    1.0.0 Corn Snake (Zeus)
    0.1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Athena)
    0.1.0 Red Tail Boa (Persephine)
    0.1.0 50% Dwarf Retic (Isis)
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Spyro)
    3.1.0 Cats (Rajah, Muffin, Storm, Ladybug)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast