Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 879

2 members and 877 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Taming a Ball Python

Hey guys I need some help! I have a baby ball python that I got a few months ago that seems to be very defensive. Everytime I try to handle him he is always in striking position and tries to bite me often. I saw a video on YouTube by Justin Kobylka on how to tame ball pythons. Have you guys tried this method and is it successful?

Also, this is my first time dealing with a mean snake. He has bitten me a few times and I know it doesn't hurt that bad but I still am a little scared of getting bit.

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Taming a Ball Python

I watched the same video years ago. They don't like their heads touched. Anytime I have one getting feisty I'll put my hand over its head. They typically jerk back hard and it puts them in more of a flight than fight. It's always worked for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Facebook.com/ToValhallaReptiles
    Instagram.com/ToValhallaReptiles

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What you first need to know is that hatchlings and juveniles are defensive and it's just part of owning a BP

Second you need to make sure to limit the stress. this means make sure that your husbandry is met to a T, an enclosure that is not too big, proper temps etc, this also means refrain on frequent handling.

Third make sure you feed your animal enough.

For the rest is a matter of patience and reasonable expectations, they do grow out of it.
    Deborah Stewart

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (06-10-2016)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    I have not seen the video. Generally if a ball is trying to bite it is for a reason. Number one reason being because they are scared. If you don't want to get bit you have to make the animal feel comfortable. Let it know you are there. Pick it up in a confident manner. Try not to put it back until it calms down and relaxes. I don't know what kind of morph you have but the only animals in my collection that have had a go at me are pastels. I have four pastels and they are all flighty. My killer bee is the absolute worst. That animal thinks everything is trying to eat her. I work with her every other day at this point but she still thinks she is lunch. It is the only snake I have I won't let my kids play with it. My other pastels do not like to be handled very much. They don't try to bite any more but they really do not want to be held. With spastic larger animals i will hold them like a baby and they seem to feel more secure and calm down. Babies you are better off just cupping in your hands.

Thanks
    Although this group by far is the minority as most biters aggression is related to one or more of the reasons previously listed. For some snakes (individuals, not species) they just don't care for human interaction. You usually can get them to be manageable but never 100% trustworthy. I have worked with many different species over the years. Some with bad wraps, some known for docile behavior. I have found the instincts in each species can be worked with, the personalities are pretty much what they are.
    1.0 Albino Black Pastel Pinstripe BP "Menolo"
    0.1 Albino Spider BP "Ginger"
    0.1 Black Pastel Het. Albino "Jasmine"

1.0 Woma python "Stitch"
    0.1 Woma python "Milo"
    0.1 Woma python "Millie"

1.0 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python
    0.1 Blackhead Python

1.0 Black South African Boerboel "Midas"
    0.1 Chocolate Lab "Coco"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    What you first need to know is that hatchlings and juveniles are defensive and it's just part of owning a BP

Second you need to make sure to limit the stress. this means make sure that your husbandry is met to a T, an enclosure that is not too big, proper temps etc, this also means refrain on frequent handling.

Third make sure you feed your animal enough.

For the rest is a matter of patience and reasonable expectations, they do grow out of it.
    This is very true, I got a banana PH clown that could very well have been possessed by a demon lol. Striking all the time even in his cage. Meanest snake ive ever seen. I just kept handling him once or twice a week for a short time doing my best to not get bit. I kept feeding him, and almost gave up on him. Then one day, I opened his cage and he was just like all my others, maybe a tad skittish, but no longer a biter. Good luck to you! I'm sure it will be OK.

Sent from my Z820 using Tapatalk
    0.2 normal, 1.0 Butter, 1.1 Fire, 1.0 Pastel, 0.1 Spider, .1 Pastel Het Clown

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    Some tolerate more than others.
    No animals are ever "tame", they just put up with human interaction.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Slim (06-10-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Another trick, though this is more commonly used for large snakes were a bite can really hurt, is to put a t-shirt or small towel over the snake's head before picking it up. Then once in-hand either move it quickly to a temporary tub (such as when you need to do cage cleaning), or simply make sure that when you hold the snake you support it without making it feel like it's movements are restricted so it doesn't feel trapped.

Thanks

Sigh, I just wanted to empathize with you. My juvenile may need an exorcist. However, I gently handle him once in awhile (I do not pick him up much, just stroke him; it seems to be relaxing) and he is becoming more and more chilled out. Well. Chilled may be the wrong word, but gradually less possessed by the devil.

Also, he's nipped me a few times but, as you know, it doesn't really hurt. Nothing to be afraid of. I think of him as a teenager, you know? Teenagers also seem possessed at times, but they do calm down as they get older...

Usually.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

My mystic is aggressive/defensive. I've watched the videos and for about 3 weeks I wore gloves. For the last week I've been bare handing him. But has calmed down more n more as I have begun to calm myself down. He's a runner when I do let him roam about my hands n fingers.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast