Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,520

3 members and 1,517 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 1,400 Posts

Changing Flexwatt

Hey.netters,

I have been thinking and will most likely start changing my flexwatt on an annual basis. Are any of you already doing this or thinking about it? I use belly heat and with the wear and tear of tubs sliding in/out and reading about these fires lately I'm getting a little worried. Please share your thoughts/advice, Thanks

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Sounds reasonable, it certainly is cheap enough to do so. I use PVC enclosures so I don't have the wear and tear of opening and closing tubs. I have been planning on replacing my flexwatt every 5 years.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

jben (02-22-2012)

Thanks
    I haven't been keeping for a long time such as some have. I will be coming up on a year in no time & my flexwatt is in perfect shape still. No rub/wear marks at all. I check on my snakes daily sometimes multiple times a day. Just by going by my experience I would say it's not really needed to be changed on a annual basis.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TimNA For This Useful Post:

jben (02-22-2012)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think if you're worried about wear and tear of your flexwatt due to rubbing you might want to get a rack where the flexwatt is recessed (no more rubbing) and in the long run it would be more cost effective than changing your heat tape annually and would give you piece of mind regarding rubbing.

Animal plastics racks would be what I recommend in that case.
    Deborah Stewart

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

jben (02-22-2012)

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts
    If you see signs of wear, scrapes, any discoloration, creases, etc--change it.

If not, it's probably good for 3 to 5 years, so long as the wiring is completely secure (check the cord for damage, discoloration, deterioration, etc). I think everything should be checked regularly.

I recently changed it out in one my hatchling racks that I had picked up used, and plan to do the other rack this summer.

It's a good time to break down and disassemble, clean, and disinfect the rack, while you're at it.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

jben (02-22-2012)

Thanks

Re: Changing Flexwatt

I cover ALL of my flexwatt with the silver tape. bins never touch the flexwatt.
    spooky

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr.spooky For This Useful Post:

jben (02-22-2012),PitOnTheProwl (02-25-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you are letting it get worn down you will need to do that. I don't see the point in letting that happen, when it is so easy to avoid that problem.

This is what I did on my belly heat racks, they are composite window shims, and they work like a charm.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SlitherinSisters For This Useful Post:

jben (02-22-2012),mikel81 (02-25-2012),mr.spooky (02-20-2012),PitOnTheProwl (02-25-2012),WtGreg (02-25-2012)

Thanks
    I change out when it needs it. The first couple of racks I built rubbed. I redid the design to have a slight recess where the mats are, and now I wouldn't change it out for at least a couple years as they are not rubbing. As long as you aren't experiencing rubbing or damage, don't worry about it on a yearly basis I.M.O.

This was a case of live and learn for me. The one thing to pass on to you that I found: My heat mats that are on the same circuit would register differently if some were new and some were old. I already knew that the heat mats registered slightly different levels naturally, but this was not slight. I basically discovered if you are going to change out a mat, you have to change all out on that circuit, or at least watch it very closely. Some may not need changing out, as long as they are registering close, but if I went with the temp variations I was seeing I would have had some cooked snakes and some that were fine. I changed all out and things seemed 'normal,' so I would recommend a full change just in case... it isn't the most expensive of stuff vs the damage they could cause to the snake.
    Ball Pythons.... I have a few

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WtGreg For This Useful Post:

jben (02-26-2012)

Thanks
    Also, protect with silver tape so what rubs is the tape, not the mat. I still have a couple racks that rub as they are older without the recessing mat, and on those the tape saved the mat a couple times over... that being said, if you see the tape has worn all the way through to the mat, be sure the mat hasn't started wearing through too if you plan on reapplying the tape without changing things out. If the tape addition causes too much pressure on the tub and causes sticking/friction, then slightly shear/file the upper edge of the tub just enough that it doesn't stick. I would rather have a slightly sheared tub that a unprotected and eventually faulty heat mat!

I'm gonna stop now before I have enough to publish a novel
    Ball Pythons.... I have a few

17. The Following User Says Thank You to WtGreg For This Useful Post:

jben (02-26-2012)

Thanks
    I cover mine with the silver metallic tape too. It protects the flex watt and I think it also helps spread the heat more evenly too.
    ~Keith Klepac

19. The Following User Says Thank You to kklepac For This Useful Post:

jben (02-26-2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast