Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,082

0 members and 3,082 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Help... BP has her right eye is bulging

This thread caught my attention bc it was such a unique issue that you're dealing with and I really hope your snake pulls through ok. I can imagine you're beside yourself with worry, as I know I would be if it were one of my snakes.

I just wanted to send you some well wishes and let you know that my thoughts are with your BP.

Post an update with her process. All the best....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Becs080 For This Useful Post:

aimin4strz (02-19-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    Soaking prior to a shed will actually cause a bad shed. It strips away the necessary oils between the old skin and the new skin which are needed to help the old skin come off. To ensure a good shed, you simply need to raise the humidity.

The humidity inside the enclosure should be kept about 60% at ALL times. 50% is really too low. That is the normal room humidity that humans are comfortable at. BPs spend most of their lives underground in old rodent burrows or termite mounds where it is rather humid.. Then raise it to between 65% and 75% during the week of shed or the moment the snake goes into blue. The belly turns pink and the eyes are dull, etc..

Make sure you have a good hygrometer to measure the humidity. The digital Accurite weather station with probe from Walmart which only costs about $13 is what we recommend to monitor your hot side, cool side/ambient, and humidity all at the same time. If you're using a glass aquarium as an enclosure, completely seal off the screen top except for about 2 inches along the back for ventilation. This holds in heat and humidity. You can use foil or wax paper just taped down along the edges of the lid to accomplish this.

If the snake has a bad shed, then you can soak, or use the wet pillow case method but overnight is a bit excessive.

For actual stuck eyecaps, simply raising the humidity (no soaking at all) works. Soaking strips away the oils remember, so it does more harm than good.. In extreme cases such as the one you were having, you would provide the snake with a humid hide box.

Get a plastic storage box or tub with a lid that fits on the hot side of the enclosure. Cut a good size hole in one side. Put a couple inches of reptile grade cypress mulch bedding (holds moisture very well and will not mold) or moss, or a combination of the 2, and moisten it but not dripping wet. Put it in the hot side of the enclosure during the week of shed.

For badly stuck eye caps, along with raising humidity and adding the humid hide, you can use a dab of regular bacitracin or regular neosporin ointment (no painkiller or other additives) on each eye daily during the week of shed.

If you follow these steps it is guaranteed the snake will have a complete shed, eyecaps and all, no matter what the past issues have been.

Now I know this info is too little too late, but now you know exactly what to do for future reference..
    I agree with most of what your saying... and I'm not saying that you are wrong... but I have very educated people that would disagree with you on parts... thats where it comes down to each person doing it differently... I've been told by multiple people you never want to use any type of topical ointment because of absorption and breathing issues through the lens... Again, I'm not saying your wrong... but it comes down to me taking little bits of advice and going with what my gut says... I appreciate your information though! Thank you We will consider all you said

Thanks

Soaking prior to a shed will actually cause a bad shed. It strips away the necessary oils between the old skin and the new skin which are needed to help the old skin come off. To ensure a good shed, you simply need to raise the humidity.

The humidity inside the enclosure should be kept about 60% at ALL times. 50% is really too low. That is the normal room humidity that humans are comfortable at. BPs spend most of their lives underground in old rodent burrows or termite mounds where it is rather humid.. Then raise it to between 65% and 75% during the week of shed or the moment the snake goes into blue. The belly turns pink and the eyes are dull, etc..

Make sure you have a good hygrometer to measure the humidity. The digital Accurite weather station with probe from Walmart which only costs about $13 is what we recommend to monitor your hot side, cool side/ambient, and humidity all at the same time. If you're using a glass aquarium as an enclosure, completely seal off the screen top except for about 2 inches along the back for ventilation. This holds in heat and humidity. You can use foil or wax paper just taped down along the edges of the lid to accomplish this.

If the snake has a bad shed, then you can soak, or use the wet pillow case method but overnight is a bit excessive.

For actual stuck eyecaps, simply raising the humidity (no soaking at all) works. Soaking strips away the oils remember, so it does more harm than good.. In extreme cases such as the one you were having, you would provide the snake with a humid hide box.

Get a plastic storage box or tub with a lid that fits on the hot side of the enclosure. Cut a good size hole in one side. Put a couple inches of reptile grade cypress mulch bedding (holds moisture very well and will not mold) or moss, or a combination of the 2, and moisten it but not dripping wet. Put it in the hot side of the enclosure during the week of shed.

For badly stuck eye caps, along with raising humidity and adding the humid hide, you can use a dab of regular bacitracin or regular neosporin ointment (no painkiller or other additives) on each eye daily during the week of shed.

If you follow these steps it is guaranteed the snake will have a complete shed, eyecaps and all, no matter what the past issues have been.

Now I know this info is too little too late, but now you know exactly what to do for future reference..
    I really do like your idea for the humid hide though thank you I will start making arrangements pending all goes well... Thank you again!

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aimin4strz View Post
    I agree with most of what your saying... and I'm not saying that you are wrong... but I have very educated people that would disagree with you on parts... thats where it comes down to each person doing it differently... I've been told by multiple people you never want to use any type of topical ointment because of absorption and breathing issues through the lens... Again, I'm not saying your wrong... but it comes down to me taking little bits of advice and going with what my gut says... I appreciate your information though! Thank you We will consider all you said
    Those who have been on this forum for years, many years longer than I have, and who have used this method in "extreme" cases, have never had an issue.. Of course we also tell everyone that oil based ointments are not to be used on wounds on reptiles unless it's a very tiny amount on a very superficial wound. Never a large open wound or burn. Oil can also cause scale flaking. Though some old timers still used mineral oil back in the day for shedding issues, it's not recommended anymore for obvious reasons...

Trust me.. We are "educated" here.. At least those who are not newbies..

The humid hide and raising overall humidity rather high should work but like I said, for extreme cases, or multiple layers of stuck caps, an ointment can be used (a dab on each eye only during blue) and will do absolutely no harm. But this of course is not something that someone should do or have to do continuously. There is another member here who mentioned a specific eye ointment in another thread though I can't remember what it was called. It's an ointment that is for the eyes.

Think about this for a moment.. When a baby is born, they put a huge blob of their hospital brand bacitracin in the infants eyes immediately. This is to prevent infection or pink-eye from coming in contact with the fluids on its way out.. Knowing this, my pediatrician gave me some wonderful advice. My son use to get pink-eye a lot as a baby. He would always be touching his eyes but the medicated drops burn. My Dr told me at the first sign of pink-eye to just put a dab of bacitracin in the inside corner of each of his eyes twice a day. Morning and bedtime.. I did this the next time and the very next morning it was gone. I've done this ever since and pass this tip on to people I know.. Bacitracin.. Not neo.. Neo is triple antibiotic and has other stuff in it. It's also recommended that diabetics who get scratches and wounds easily should not use neo. They should use bacitracin only. Bacitracin is only one ingredient and is identical to the antibiotic ointment they put in a newborns eyes in the hospital..

We humans don't have a hard protective cap covering our eyes...

Think about it..

These supposed experts you speak of? I would gladly tell them to their face how wrong they are. This is absolutely no offense to you so don't take it the wrong way but if you're talking about a group of local people from a small local expo who are simply set in their ways and would never ever consider their advice might be wrong, then you really should start asking questions here.. They sound rather close-minded..

If you ask all the same questions here in the appropriate forum areas, and then see the flood of replies you get and the different answers you get from so many different people, I'm sure you may start to open your eyes to other possibilities. Look at your snake.. Isn't it apparent that the people you were talking to prior were wrong?

I've been keeping and raising snakes since 1995.. I've been a member of this forum for a few years now. I'm sorry if I'm not educated enough for you to trust..

Thanks

Make sure you have a good hygrometer to measure the humidity. The digital Accurate weather station with probe from Walmart which only costs about $13 is what we recommend to monitor your hot side, cool side/ambient, and humidity all at the same time. If you're using a glass aquarium as an enclosure, completely seal off the screen top except for about 2 inches along the back for ventilation. This holds in heat and humidity. You can use foil or wax paper just taped down along the edges of the lid to accomplish this.

I also disagree with several statements made here. I think putting ointment on the eyes is a bad idea and 50% humidity is plenty in my opinion for bp's. I currently have 21 bps and have had many snakes in the past and I have found 50% to get perfect sheds in almost all cases except chrondros. All my bp's are kept around 50% humidity and I rarely ever have a bad shed. Also I have soaked many snakes 30 mins or more that looked like they were gonna have a bad shed and it has worked every time. They shed in one piece so I'm not sure where you got your info but in my 20+ years of experience I have seen for myself that many of your statements are not accurate.
    Click here to see My collection & Available> http://www.iherp.com/Public/Animals/...2-08169f5b8efc

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jason79 For This Useful Post:

aimin4strz (02-20-2012)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    I haven't soaked a ball python in years... I haven't had a single case of RI with one exception that was sick when I bought her years 9 ago, and I've only had to use the ointment treatment one time on a Retic that came to me with layers of stuck caps. It worked like a charm..

Thanks

Trust me.. We are "educated" here.. At least those who are not newbies..

Think about it..

These supposed experts you speak of? I would gladly tell them to their face how wrong they are. This is absolutely no offense to you so don't take it the wrong way but if you're talking about a group of local people from a small local expo who are simply set in their ways and would never ever consider their advice might be wrong, then you really should start asking questions here.. They sound rather close-minded..

If you ask all the same questions here in the appropriate forum areas, and then see the flood of replies you get and the different answers you get from so many different people, I'm sure you may start to open your eyes to other possibilities. Look at your snake.. Isn't it apparent that the people you were talking to prior were wrong?

I've been keeping and raising snakes since 1995.. I've been a member of this forum for a few years now. I'm sorry if I'm not educated enough for you to trust..
    I would like to cover a couple of things... It's not a matter of you not being educated enough for me to trust... but I don't know you from a hole in the ground... trust is earned... I appreciate the feedback you have provided we don't have to see eye to eye on every comment, not to state that I wouldn't consider your advice if I were to find myself in a similar situation (which hopefully will never happen) So it's not a matter of you not being educated enough... In regards to the people that I have received trusted information from... We are referring to people from multiple rescue facilities and people who have been in the industry for over 30 yrs with multiple degrees including Vet degrees as well... please understand that just because you choose to do it one way doesn't mean someone doing it a different way is doing it wrong... I might raise my child one way... but you might raise your differently... doesn't mean either of us are wrong... I'm not challenging you... but please understand that the people my information has been provided by are trusted, educated, and expeirenced in this matter just as much if not more than others... please know this isn't a pissing match... I see eye to eye with you on some things... and I really appreciate the help you have offered... but I'm really just hoping I will never have to use your advice because I'm really hoping for the best possible recovery that she can have... It's really nice to know that if I got in a bind I would have people that I could ask opinions of...

Thanks
    So Currently, we have her a dark but warm area with moderate humidity, no stress and just giving her time to heal till she can be seen tomorrow... and she is still doing ok... She is a trooper and I am really hoping she pulls through this, because she is to me like most dogs are to people... very important. Crossing my fingers!! Wishing for the best!

Thanks
    You say trust is earned. Then why post here asking questions when you know no one.......just saying.

Everyone here is just trying to helping you out. Maybe take the advice given and see how it goes?
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heathers*bps For This Useful Post:

Evenstar (02-20-2012),shelliebear (02-20-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heathers*bps View Post
    You say trust is earned. Then why post here asking questions when you know no one.......just saying.

Everyone here is just trying to helping you out. Maybe take the advice given and see how it goes?
    I agree... it doesn't make much sense huh... however, If I have 15 different people who reply with different ideas... I'm not going to try them all... I'm probably going to go with the item that multiple people have tried and worked and I'm also going to go with what my instinct tells me makes sense... but I completely agree, just hoping to get a bunch of different ideas in hopes to find something that might apply to us...

I appreciate all the feedback... and I'm not saying this information isn't being used... it is... but right now I am letting her heal until I can get her to a vet... I worry the more things I attempt the more I complicate the process considering how far her condition has already progressed...

Thank you though...

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast