Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,756

1 members and 2,755 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Just to add, people don't always read the whole post. So yes I think it's important to get that in there quickly after your post of the over the phone diagnoses was given. Most people looking up symptoms like this are going to get to the "diagnoses" part and then stop reading.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

Thanks

Re: Help... BP has her right eye is bulging

I am very new to ball pythons. I actually will not get my first one for another week. I have been reading up on all of the posts to gain some knowledge. Thank you for sharing your experience, it has actually taught me a lot! I hope all goes well.

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Eve's Mom For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Domepiece (02-19-2012),Evenstar (02-20-2012),Foschi Exotic Serpents (02-19-2012),heathers*bps (02-20-2012),kklepac (02-21-2012),L.West (02-20-2012),RestlessRobie (02-20-2012),shelliebear (02-20-2012),Skittles1101 (02-19-2012),Slim (02-20-2012),Stewart_Reptiles (02-19-2012)

Thanks
    Is there any chance her head got pinched in the tub while opening or closing? I have a hard time believing that eight days later this would happen if he removed the actual eye cap. I would think that would have caused problems within hours possibly a day later but not eight. I agree soaking for five hours is not good but I also wouldn't think that caused this either. I have had snakes not BP's but red tailed boas soak in their water bowl for days and never seen anything like this happen I think there is another problem but I have no idea what it would be.
    Click here to see My collection & Available> http://www.iherp.com/Public/Animals/...2-08169f5b8efc

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jason79 For This Useful Post:

aimin4strz (02-19-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aimin4strz View Post
    The pictures I posted were taken with a hour today when we woke up. Last night we handled her as we normally do and her eyes appeared to be fine. It was 8 days ago we had him "remove er eye caps". I put that in quotes because at this point, I dont know what was done. We have checked her eyes right after he did that and several times during the week and everything seemed fine, including last night. I just dont understand how this happened overnight and got so bad. Yes she was soaking in water, but only part of her body was in water. How can her eyes just being in a very humid enclousure cause this. And if her eyes were injured, why did it take 8 days to start seeing any change?
    At this point with out being to actually examine your snake,people are just making educated guesses on what is going on.
    The main thing now is to get to a vet asap (Tuesday) and to prevent further injury while waiting.
    Things you can do right now- create a sterile dustless setting, remove any rough surfaces (natural hides, fake rock bowls) that could scratch those eyes. Make sure your temps and humidity are good.
    Last edited by Maixx; 02-19-2012 at 10:23 PM.
    -Karl

0.1 Wild type Bp (Eve)
    1.0 Pastel Bp (Aeries)
    0.1 Russian Ratsnake (Vasilisa)
    0.0.1 Bairds Ratsnake (Romeo)

http://www.iherp.com/maixx

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maixx For This Useful Post:

dr del (02-19-2012),Foschi Exotic Serpents (02-19-2012)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Hey aimin4strz.. Where are you located? You mentioned a vet in Chicago? Have you checked the reptile vet list on this forum? There may be one closer to you. I have one in Crest Hill right down the road from me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

aimin4strz (02-19-2012)

Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Help... BP has her right eye is bulging

Ok... Let's start from the beginning...
    Myself (The Wife) have had snakes in the past... So I am the exp. one... I know what eye caps look like... She retained her eye caps through 4 sheds and they were so crinkley to the point that it was affected her ability to want to eat... So I made the decision after speaking to many other educated people who also concurred that I was going to look into options for removal, before that, I tried soaking then rubbing lightly, I tried tape, I tried just short of everything I could. In the end, she still had them and it was because I was a horrible pet owner and let them stay on too long... MY BAD (I apologize) I determined I wasn't going to let it go one any further worring about perm. damage, so I started contacting vets in the area... again no one was interested in helping because they said they didn't feel confident doing it... I'm not going to let a vet touch any animal I own unless they know what they are doing... so I decided to try the convention in hopes that I would find someone with more exp. and I did... he was able to help her... however, in the process more harm was done unintentionally... When he removed them he created abrasions on the lower portions right below her lid... we were unaware of this due to the lid keeping the situation contained... We were advised that when it was time for her to shed again that we should soak her to ensure we didn't have the same problem again... I completely agreed... I chose to soak her overnight as we had done in the past with no complications (mind you there is NO STUDIES that state this is something that should not be done!) When I woke up this morning early I went to check on her and change out her water and that is when I noticed the damage... I immediately rinsed the area well and started evaluating the cause... knowing deep down inside what caused the problem but was really hoping it was something else, I found myself in the same situation many other EXPIERENCED Herp owners have found themselves in. I continued to seek further information to correct the situation due to the fact that well I know enough I'm not a doctor! Owning an animal is about doing research (which is only other peoples opinions) and determining the best way you see fit to raise your pet. So now, I have a fabulous member of my family that is going through something horrible and I am doing my best to do everything in my power to make sure she has the best care and is as comfortable as she can be...

I appreciate all the help that everyone has provided! In my exp, being a good reptile owner always ends up taking a little but of information from some and different information from others... some people say low humid, some people say high humid, some people say leave the eye caps on, most say don't, some people say don't feed them in their original tank, some say do... in the end there just isn't enough statistics either way for any of us to win what this has turned in to... So again, I really appreciate the help that you all have provided... the timing was wrong and my husband took offense to some comments that in another time might have been blown off... but consider the timing... Please understand I want the best for Pandora, she is my baby and I will be up all night watching her because I can't do without her...

Sorry for any frustration this has caused... Thank you again!

Alicia

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aimin4strz View Post
    Ok... Let's start from the beginning...
    Myself (The Wife) have had snakes in the past... So I am the exp. one... I know what eye caps look like... She retained her eye caps through 4 sheds and they were so crinkley to the point that it was affected her ability to want to eat... So I made the decision after speaking to many other educated people who also concurred that I was going to look into options for removal, before that, I tried soaking then rubbing lightly, I tried tape, I tried just short of everything I could. In the end, she still had them and it was because I was a horrible pet owner and let them stay on too long... MY BAD (I apologize) I determined I wasn't going to let it go one any further worring about perm. damage, so I started contacting vets in the area... again no one was interested in helping because they said they didn't feel confident doing it... I'm not going to let a vet touch any animal I own unless they know what they are doing... so I decided to try the convention in hopes that I would find someone with more exp. and I did... he was able to help her... however, in the process more harm was done unintentionally... When he removed them he created abrasions on the lower portions right below her lid... we were unaware of this due to the lid keeping the situation contained... We were advised that when it was time for her to shed again that we should soak her to ensure we didn't have the same problem again... I completely agreed... I chose to soak her overnight as we had done in the past with no complications (mind you there is NO STUDIES that state this is something that should not be done!) When I woke up this morning early I went to check on her and change out her water and that is when I noticed the damage... I immediately rinsed the area well and started evaluating the cause... knowing deep down inside what caused the problem but was really hoping it was something else, I found myself in the same situation many other EXPIERENCED Herp owners have found themselves in. I continued to seek further information to correct the situation due to the fact that well I know enough I'm not a doctor! Owning an animal is about doing research (which is only other peoples opinions) and determining the best way you see fit to raise your pet. So now, I have a fabulous member of my family that is going through something horrible and I am doing my best to do everything in my power to make sure she has the best care and is as comfortable as she can be...

I appreciate all the help that everyone has provided! In my exp, being a good reptile owner always ends up taking a little but of information from some and different information from others... some people say low humid, some people say high humid, some people say leave the eye caps on, most say don't, some people say don't feed them in their original tank, some say do... in the end there just isn't enough statistics either way for any of us to win what this has turned in to... So again, I really appreciate the help that you all have provided... the timing was wrong and my husband took offense to some comments that in another time might have been blown off... but consider the timing... Please understand I want the best for Pandora, she is my baby and I will be up all night watching her because I can't do without her...

Sorry for any frustration this has caused... Thank you again!

Alicia
    You can debate wether or not soaking a snake before shed is helpful or harmful, but I don't think anyone would say that leaving a snake soaking unattended over night is a good idea.

I truly hope that your snake gets better and no lasting damage has been done. I know that if this was happening to one of my snakes I would be besides myself at this point.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

apple2 (02-20-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    You can debate wether or not soaking a snake before shed is helpful or harmful, but I don't think anyone would say that leaving a snake soaking unattended over night is a good idea.

I truly hope that your snake gets better and no lasting damage has been done. I know that if this was happening to one of my snakes I would be besides myself at this point.
    The problem with it is... is that many people told us that would be fine... and the previous post had a point... snakes soak in their water bowl for days provided it is big enough... so this is where we find ourselves in a difference of opinion... no offense to either of us... but everyone does it differently... I really do hope she gets better but I just want people to know there is no "Right" way.... we all do it our own way... but I really appreciate everything that has been said... I hope she gets better soon as well

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    He was talking about Boas though. i've never seen a ball python soak for more than 10 minutes at a time. I agree that there is no absolute right or wrong way to keep these animals, you just have to find what works for you.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

shelliebear (02-20-2012)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Soaking prior to a shed will actually cause a bad shed. It strips away the necessary oils between the old skin and the new skin which are needed to help the old skin come off. To ensure a good shed, you simply need to raise the humidity.

The humidity inside the enclosure should be kept about 60% at ALL times. 50% is really too low. That is the normal room humidity that humans are comfortable at. BPs spend most of their lives underground in old rodent burrows or termite mounds where it is rather humid.. Then raise it to between 65% and 75% during the week of shed or the moment the snake goes into blue. The belly turns pink and the eyes are dull, etc..

Make sure you have a good hygrometer to measure the humidity. The digital Accurite weather station with probe from Walmart which only costs about $13 is what we recommend to monitor your hot side, cool side/ambient, and humidity all at the same time. If you're using a glass aquarium as an enclosure, completely seal off the screen top except for about 2 inches along the back for ventilation. This holds in heat and humidity. You can use foil or wax paper just taped down along the edges of the lid to accomplish this.

If the snake has a bad shed, then you can soak, or use the wet pillow case method but overnight is a bit excessive.

For actual stuck eyecaps, simply raising the humidity (no soaking at all) works. Soaking strips away the oils remember, so it does more harm than good.. In extreme cases such as the one you were having, you would provide the snake with a humid hide box.

Get a plastic storage box or tub with a lid that fits on the hot side of the enclosure. Cut a good size hole in one side. Put a couple inches of reptile grade cypress mulch bedding (holds moisture very well and will not mold) or moss, or a combination of the 2, and moisten it but not dripping wet. Put it in the hot side of the enclosure during the week of shed.

For badly stuck eye caps, along with raising humidity and adding the humid hide, you can use a dab of regular bacitracin or regular neosporin ointment (no painkiller or other additives) on each eye daily during the week of shed.

If you follow these steps it is guaranteed the snake will have a complete shed, eyecaps and all, no matter what the past issues have been.

Now I know this info is too little too late, but now you know exactly what to do for future reference..

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

aimin4strz (02-19-2012),Evenstar (02-20-2012),RestlessRobie (02-20-2012),satomi325 (02-20-2012)

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast