Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,067

3 members and 3,064 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Best way to make your own moist hide

Waiting for my new cage to get here to fix my humidity problem. In the mean time what is the best way to create a moist hide.

Thanks

Re: Best way to make your own moist hide

I made a humid hide by cutting an appropriate size hole in an appropriate sized rubbermaid container (Kind you would refrigerate your leftovers in) with a cordless drill and a 1 1/2 inch hole saw. I spray painted the container black, let it dry and air out a few days. I only painted the outside with the lid on. You can purchase a can of spray paint that is made for plastic. Then filled the container with Reptile moss that i sprayed with water. The hole that I cut was on the lid. But you could cut in on the side of container. Worked great for me and they seemed to like the hide.

Wilson

Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,630 Posts
    If your BP is still small you can use a Cool Whip or Country Crock container to make the same type of hide Brian just described.
    Thomas "Slim" Whitman
    Never Met A Ball Python I Didn't Like

Thanks

i just lined both of her hides with moss and spray that once a week, thats what the guy told me to do that i bought her from

Thanks
    Does anyone put substrate on the bottom of their humid hide, or just moss?

I use Eco earth as my cage substrate, since its good for humidity, but it tends to stick to the moss a lot and gets all dirty.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Britt/Matt View Post
    i just lined both of her hides with moss and spray that once a week, thats what the guy told me to do that i bought her from
    I'm doing that as of now with the moss, but the moss seems to start drying up really quick within a couple of days or so.

A specific humid hide (plastic container with hole cut on top) will probably hold humidy a lot better and longer, but I don't have a lot of room right now until I get a new cage (48Lx24Wx12H divided into 24x24 until he's bigger).

My only concern is that the snake will constantly choose the humid hide for the humidity, regardless of temperature.

Once I get my cage I was thinking of having 4 hides.
    2 hot side hides - 1 humid with moss , 1 not
    2 cool side hides - 1 humid with moss, 1 not

.. But will they constantly use the humid ones and make the non- humid hides useless?

Does anyone think this is unnecessary and overkill.

Thanks

i have a 40 gallon exo-terra tank, and a 3 month old pastel, she is my first snake/bp and of course i was very nervous and asked alot of questions and did tons of research, my experience so far is good and of course had tons of problems with humidity. so as advised by people on forum and through people i know i have 2/3 of mesh covered with tin foil and a piece of wood holding it down with only 1 heat lamp, my temp are 91 on hot side, 82 on cool side with humidity going between 40-50% and when it drops below i just mist everywhere. she has two idenctical hides both lined with moss so she never has to chose which side is better, she moves between the two hides whenever she feels like it. i've had her since thursday and fed her on sunday even though people said she still probaly stressed but she ate which is good sighn. i also use repti-bark and moss is ontop of it in the hides.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Britt/Matt;1766185]i have a 40 gallon exo-terra tank, and a 3 month old pastel, she is my first snake/bp and of course i was very nervous and asked alot of questions and did tons of research, my experience so far is good and of course had tons of problems with

If you did tons of research, why do you have a 3 month old in a 40 gallon???
    0.1 Normal (Bella)
    1.0 Het Russo (Felix)
    0.1 Het Russo (Alisha)
    1.0 Pewter (Rocco)
    0.1 Bumblebee (Janine)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Blanco)
    0.1 Black Pastel (Blackie)

http://www.iherp.com/bivman

Thanks
    i asked few people their personal opinions on if it mattered if i bought the big one right away and it all personal perference and if the snake felt comfortable ive also posted pic of my set up n changed it up by their suggestions no-one else seemed bothered by tank size., did my research yes you can start with smaller tank like 10-20 gallon and continue to buy a new one everytime they grow bigger, but a full grown bp needs a larger space. so i bought the 40 gallon and filled it with two large hides that are the same, a large water bowl and a branch, she comfortable and not stressed, if she was stressed especially being in a large space she wouldnt have eaten on sunday or move about from hide to hide or even dunk in the water bowl which ive seen her do once. if she showed she was stressed i wouldve moved her into a smaller one. tank size isnt a big deal nor was it the question in this thread. how to deal with humidity and using a humidity box and what other people do to solve their humidity problem

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Some ball pythons can handle big enclosures, some can't. I start mine out in a 2'x2' cage and quickly move them into a 4'x2'. I haven't had any issues yet but if I do I will move that particular snake into a smaller enclosure right away. It is all about being able to read your snake and making informed decisions based on what your snake is telling you.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast