Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,855

1 members and 2,854 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Flexwatt in AP Cages

I recently purchased some 4'x2'x15" AP cages. I got the 11" Flexwatt from them as well that measures 11"x20". My question is will this be sufficient to heat the cages? I currently have them hooked up to a Herpstat 4. My temperature is set at around 98F in one cage and 93.5F in another (I set them high last night to see if it would raise the cage temp. My snakes are NOT in there yet). Unfortunately the inside of the cages only have a small hot spot around 83/85F and to say I'm frustrated would be an understatement.

I am new with operating my enclosures with a thermostat and flexwatt so perhaps I'm missing something. Any advise or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Re: Flexwatt in AP Cages

Flexwatt is not intended to heat an entire enclosure, only a localized spot on the floor of the cage. In many cases, the temperature you would have to reach at the hot spot to heat a cage to proper ambient temp would cause serious burns on your snakes (definitely good thinking to test it out before putting them in there). Raise the thermostat temp until you achieve the correct hot spot temp (measured with a heat gun or digital thermometer), and then check if you ambient temp is sufficient. If not, you will either need supplemental heat or to raise the temperature of the room you have the cages in.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

fortoday634 (02-07-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Annarose15 View Post
    Flexwatt is not intended to heat an entire enclosure, only a localized spot on the floor of the cage. In many cases, the temperature you would have to reach at the hot spot to heat a cage to proper ambient temp would cause serious burns on your snakes (definitely good thinking to test it out before putting them in there). Raise the thermostat temp until you achieve the correct hot spot temp (measured with a heat gun or digital thermometer), and then check if you ambient temp is sufficient. If not, you will either need supplemental heat or to raise the temperature of the room you have the cages in.
    +1!!! our snake room stays warm year round to keep good ambient temps, and flexwatt serves as a hot spot.
    spooky

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    For me all I need is the flexwatt, because AP cages are made from 1/2" PVC they hold in the heat very well. But if you need to increase your ambiant temperatures the best way to do so is with a Radiant Heat Panel.

How are you measuring your temperatures? When I have my thermostat set to 100-105 the floor of the cage stays around 91 degrees.

Also remember that the heat has to get through the PVC before the floor of the cage starts to warm up. I would suggest that you set your thermostat to 105 wait 2 hours, then measure the floor temperature.

This is how I measure my hot side temperature with the probe of my Acu-Rite

~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

fortoday634 (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    If you can not keep the room your cage is in over 76-78 all year round I do not believe you will be able to get away with just flexwatt. I keep my room between 70-72 all year round and it will sometime drop to 68ish on really cold nights. So I use an RHP.

Aaron are all of your cages stacked? J/w Could the flexwatt from the other cages be assisting with keeping your ambient temps up?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdouglas View Post
    If you can not keep the room your cage is in over 76-78 all year round I do not believe you will be able to get away with just flexwatt. I keep my room between 70-72 all year round and it will sometime drop to 68ish on really cold nights. So I use an RHP.

Aaron are all of your cages stacked? J/w Could the flexwatt from the other cages be assisting with keeping your ambient temps up?

They are, and that might help. My bottom cage actually does have a RHP in it to help, but it only really runs in the winter at night. Also being in Florida helps as I haven't seen outside temperatures under 60 except 1 or 2 nights so far this winter.
    ~Aaron

Thanks
    I do know my 80 watt RHP only comes on for about 5-10 minutes every hour, not sure about night time when the temps drop a few degrees.

But that's with my ambient room temps in the low 70's and trying to maintain an 80 ambient inside the cage.

So I guess the point is, If your room temps are in the low 70's and you do not want to increase or maintain the entire rooms temps then you will most likely need an RHP.
    Last edited by jdouglas; 02-07-2012 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks
    My apartment stays between 72 and 77 but that's just because I'm cheap and I have the AC set to 78 and the heat set to 68. I swear my girlfriend is cold blooded it can be 78 in the apartment and she will be under a blanket lol

At least for me my cages once they settled down seem relatively unaffected by the room temperature.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 02-07-2012 at 11:41 AM.
    ~Aaron

Thanks
    I am measuring my temps with a Pro Exotics PE-1 Infrared Temp Gun. The probes connected to my Herp 4 are in the groves premade by AP, under the cage, and on top of the Flexwatt. Would it be a better to place the probes in the enclosures instead like in your pic, Serp Merch?

I boosted the temp in one cage to 105F and 100F in another. I will wait a few hours to see how well the enclose and substrate are heating up. Ambient temp in the cool side is around 74F. Since I live in an apartment the cages are in our living room and I can not raise the temp higher then 71F. Perhaps a RHP is my next step. I was really under the impression the Flexwatt was all I needed hence my frustration.

Thanks for the advise everyone.

Thanks
    I have noticed air flow in the room does drop the ambient temps in the cage to the room temps if I unplug my RHP. If the ceiling fan is on it does change the cage temps. If its off it does not.

Maybe check for drafts or a windy room?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast