Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,745

4 members and 2,741 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • I ship and/or buy from sellers are use FedEx certified only

3 9.09%
  • I ship and/or buy from both FedEx certified sellers and sellers who use SYR

32 96.97%
  • I ship and/or buy from sellers who use SYR only

1 3.03%
  • I would not buy from someone who uses SYR

0 0%
  • I would not buy from someone who is independantly certified by FedEx

0 0%
  • Other (please comment)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran HighVoltageRoyals's Avatar
    Thanks

Shipyourreptiles.com, FEDEX Cert and other stuff

Hey all,

This post is mainly to bring to light how people feel about certain shipping arrangements. I've been reading a lot of different things out there on both the importance of getting FedEx Certified and the benefits of SYR. My main concern is that I've seen a good group of people say things like "If I knew a seller was using SYR I would cancel my transaction and move onto another seller".

I guess what I am trying to ask is which do you prefer and why? Would you be turned off from a sale because a seller uses one over the other and if so, please tell us your story.
    7.6 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Argentine B&W Tegu

"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone." -Picasso

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Re: Shipyourreptiles.com, FEDEX Cert and other stuff

I am Fedex certified, but have chosen to use SYR in the past. It is easy to use, they give great instructions on the website for packing the animals, and now offer live arrival guarantees - and the shipper is still the one packing the animal. What more could you want?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Annarose15 For This Useful Post:

HighVoltageRoyals (02-06-2012)

Thanks

though i am going to try to get certified, it really dosent matter to me. they still get on the same trucks, to the airport, and back on the same trucks as eachother. im curious to hear others opinions as well.
    spooky

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr.spooky For This Useful Post:

HighVoltageRoyals (02-06-2012),minguss (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    It wouldn't matter one way or the other to me as a buyer as long as the animal arrives safely and on time. I think part of the public perception is that if you get FedEx certified, you must be a big breeder dealing with a lot of animals and you ship regularly, so there would be less chance of human error. Someone using SYR could be anyone off the street without a clue how to safely ship a reptile...
    Kevin Johnson
    0.2 Normal BP -- 0.1 Pastel BP -- 0.1 Spider BP -- 0.1 Het Red Axanthic BP -- 0.1 Ghost dinker
    2.1 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Lesser Bee BP -- 1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP -- 1.0 Mojave BP -- 1.0 Black Pastel BP -- 1.0 Cinny (poss het ghost) -- 1.0 Champagne

1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Inknsteel For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inknsteel View Post
    I think part of the public perception is that if you get FedEx certified, you must be a big breeder dealing with a lot of animals and you ship regularly, so there would be less chance of human error. Someone using SYR could be anyone off the street without a clue how to safely ship a reptile...
    Good point! That is probably why some people are "stand-offish" about sellers who use SYR. Thanks for your contribution.
    7.6 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Argentine B&W Tegu

"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone." -Picasso

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    I am certified with FedEx, But I use SYR as Robyn gave my account great rates that FedEx can't Match Right now.

It makes no difference who you get the label from, FedEx or SYR as their goign to be handled the same way regardless. Its just do you want the customer to save 20-40$ per shipment.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

dragonboy4578 (02-06-2012),HighVoltageRoyals (02-06-2012),minguss (02-07-2012),mr.spooky (02-06-2012),snakesRkewl (02-11-2012)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am Fedex certified however I chose to use SYR since it allows me to ship from residence to residence which is not technically allowed when certified even though everyone does it.
    (Certification requires that shipment must be made Business to Business.)

SYR also provides insurance which is a great plus.

The bottom line to me when it comes to shipping is that the seller is knowledgeable and know how to pack, label and ship animals properly and legally.

SYR allows you to print your shipping label, YOU still need to know what you are doing when shipping and the snake is still delivered by Fedex regardless.

Being certified does not always mean that people will ship the animal properly, there have been threads in the past regarding improper shipping from people who were certified, (obviously them being certified did not mean anything.)

It even happened to me a few years back, this was the box I received from a Fedex Certified shipper.

Obviously not acceptable, the box was cut and rebuilt (trying to save money I would assume) in other words the box structure was compromised which could have cause the animal to be crushed among other possible issues that could have arise.
    Deborah Stewart

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

AGoldReptiles (02-14-2012),dragonboy4578 (02-06-2012),HighVoltageRoyals (02-06-2012),zeion97 (02-08-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I am Fedex certified however I chose to use SYR since it allows me to ship from residence to residence which is not technically allowed when certified even though everyone does it.
    (Certification requires that shipment must be made Business to Business.)

SYR also provides insurance which is a great plus.

The bottom line to me when it comes to shipping is that the seller is knowledgeable and know how to pack, label and ship animals properly and legally.

SYR allows you to print your shipping label, YOU still need to know what you are doing when shipping and the snake is still delivered by Fedex regardless.

Being certified does not always mean that people will ship the animal properly, there have been threads in the past regarding improper shipping from people who were certified, (obviously them being certified did not mean anything.)

It even happened to me a few years back, this was the box I received from a Fedex Certified shipper.

Obviously not acceptable, the box was cut and rebuilt (trying to save money I would assume) in other words the box structure was compromised which could have cause the animal to be crushed among other possible issues that could have arise.
    x100! Thanks Deborah!
    7.6 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Argentine B&W Tegu

Thanks
    1. SYR offers late arrival/dead animal insurance for the shipper.
    2. I created my own FedEx account and got a quote for $5 more than SYR was offering.

Pretty cut and dry IMO.
    Rocky Mountain Balls
    Website
    Facebook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to spitzu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    At this rate, it sounds like I was talking to a handful of sticklers that just wanted to complain about something. Carry on.
    7.6 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Argentine B&W Tegu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast