Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 940

4 members and 936 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

UTH & Thermostates?

Basically everywhere I've read on this site, and others, strongly suggest, and that might be too conservative a word, is that an UTH should not be used without a thermostat. My question is, why? Is it possible for a snake to get burnt with an UTH as the only heat source? I'd like people who have firsthand knowledge of this as I have never heard of a snake getting burnt with an UTH as a single heat source. I know snakes can get burnt with hot rocks and/or a combination of UTH/lamps/heat emitters etc., but just an UTH? Maybe the bigger ones get hotter and that's what’s confusing me but I have a 8 watt UTH, had it on all day and jammed a thermometer between the pad and the glass, the stabilized temp reading was 88.5 F, and that's at the hottest point. There is no way my snake is going to get burnt at that temperature. Is the argument that 88.5F isn't hot enough for the hot spot, so a secondary heat source is required, and the combination can increase the temp enough to burn the snake? Also as I understand it, when a UTH breaks, it doesn’t heat up, it just stops working as the circuit is broken, is this correct? When they fail, if they increase beyond their design temp, I understand the point of a thermostat, but my understanding is they just stop heating.

Any thoughts on this?
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Trochu Motor League

Thanks
    The concept behind the UTH burning your snake is the same behind hot rocks. The UTH is under your tank, but your snake burrows under the substrate to get closer to the heat source and rests on the glass. If your UTH isn't controlled by a thermostat, they can get burned if the UTH gets too high in temp.

Thanks

Re: UTH & Thermostates?

Quote Originally Posted by k8nkane View Post
    The concept behind the UTH burning your snake is the same behind hot rocks. The UTH is under your tank, but your snake burrows under the substrate to get closer to the heat source and rests on the glass. If your UTH isn't controlled by a thermostat, they can get burned if the UTH gets too high in temp.
    I understand the concept, my point being that it would appear the max temperature of my UTH is 88.6F, no where near being hot enough to burn my snake. Do some get hotter?

On a side not, apparently I can't spell thermostats......
    Trochu Motor League

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Uhhhh, what kind of UTH and how are you reading 88.5 for it? Most store bought UTHs exceed 130 degrees without a thermostat. If you're reading it with an inaccurate thermometer that would explain the confusion here.

Check this out (graphic)
    Last edited by Skittles1101; 01-26-2012 at 08:31 PM.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    All of my UTH's get to 120. I can provide photographic evidence if necessary.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

Skittles1101 (01-26-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    All of my UTH's get to 120. I can provide photographic evidence if necessary.
    Oh, no need of that, I believe you! What size wattage are yours? Mines a small tropical, 8 watt, Exo-Terra. Is it feasable that mine just doesn't get that hot because I don't think there is any possible way it's over 90F.
    Trochu Motor League

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
    Oh, no need of that, I believe you! What size wattage are yours? Mines a small tropical, 8 watt, Exo-Terra. Is it feasable that mine just doesn't get that hot because I don't think there is any possible way it's over 90F.
    Exo Terra? I doubt it. How are you reading the temps. I must add that my small 8 watt Zoo Med read well over 130 degrees, and that's measured with my accurate temp gun over a square of a paper bag over the glass over the UTH.
    Last edited by Skittles1101; 01-26-2012 at 08:46 PM.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    I have a few different brands, sizes, and wattages. Even my 7 watt flukers gets 120+
    ~Aaron

Thanks

It is possible, it may be slightly defective or something. I would question whatever you are using to measure your temperature first though.
    ~Aaron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts

.....Also as I understand it, when a UTH breaks, it doesn’t heat up, it just stops working as the circuit is broken, is this correct? When they fail, if they increase beyond their design temp, I understand the point of a thermostat, but my understanding is they just stop heating.
    I agree with the others and I wonder how you're measuring the temp on your 8 watt UTH. I have an 8 watt too (zoomed) and it would easily skyrocket over 120 without a t-stat.

But I wanted to address this point in particular... Usually, when a UTH breaks, it would just stop heating. But the problem isn't if it breaks - it's if it should malfunction. I had a 10 watt zoomed malfunction one day and it actually smoldered. It burned the off side of the pad actually charing the plastic and it cracked the glass bottom of the tank it was under. It would have started a fire except for the fact that it was operated on a fuse outlet so it blew the fuse which turned the whole thing off in time. I should note that the tank was empty at the time and that we were home. Thank God! I was testing something at the time which is why I had it on in the first place - test was successful in a round about way.

If the UTH had been on a t-stat, the t-stat would have shut off the unit LONG before it would have heated to such an extreme. So a t-stat is not just to prevent burns for your snake, it's also a safety feature for your home.
    Last edited by Evenstar; 01-26-2012 at 09:26 PM.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast