Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,365

1 members and 1,364 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

question about ethicality of producing hybrids

how does everyone feel about hybridizations? should we just because we can? i'm leaning toward the just because we can.

Thanks

Re: question about ethicality of producing hybrids

im all for it, as long as you are responsible enough to keep appropriate records of everything you do with every snake involved in a hybrid project. such as recording every snake another snake has been bred with in the past, so that people know its been bred to another species. lets say you breed a male woma to a female bp, and end up selling the female bp, let the person know that it had been previously bred with a male woma. that way, incase theres any sperm retention and the bp produces an odd looking hatchling by the person you sold it too, they would know that its possibly part woma. and imo, you should only sell a hybrid to people who are responsible enough to not let it go later on as a single species snake. for instance, if you were to have an F2 superball, that doesnt really have any blood/ borneo resemblance, you should never let it go to someone who could possibly sell it as just a cool looking ball python.
    Last edited by cmack91; 01-02-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cmack91 For This Useful Post:

bigmike (01-03-2012),Missy King (01-03-2012),mr.spooky (01-02-2012),purplemuffin (01-03-2012),superpastel37 (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    The place it gets tricky to me is that snake hybrids are usually fertile. If they are represented as hybrids and any offspring are represented as hybrids then to each his own. Where I would consider it unethical is if hybrids or their descendants are misrepresented as being of pure stock. I can picture some jackass (hybrid!) passing off F2 or F3 hybrids that look like one parent species as pure just to make a buck. Or maybe getting big bucks for a new morph that is nothing but a mutt.

Some of the hybrids are quite beautiful. They aren't my thing.
    Last edited by Redneck_Crow; 01-02-2012 at 05:43 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Redneck_Crow For This Useful Post:

superpastel37 (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cmack91 View Post
    im all for it, as long as you are responsible enough to keep appropriate records of everything you do with every snake involved in a hybrid project. such as recording every snake another snake has been bred with in the past, so that people know its been bred to another species. lets say you breed a male woma to a female bp, and end up selling the female bp, let the person know that it had been previously bred with a male woma. and imo, you should only sell to people who are responsible enough to not let it go later on as a single species snake. for instance, if you were to have an F2 superball, that doesnt really have any blood/ borneo resemblance, you should never let it go to someone who could possibly sell it as just a cool looking ball python.
    x2 I agree with Everything you said. I can understand the other sid of the argument that people make, but if responsible people are doing the breeding then whats the big deal really imo?
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike41793 For This Useful Post:

superpastel37 (01-02-2012)

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    This is a very touchy subject. I believe that if done responsibly and is done with proper documentation, it is fine. I personally plan on producing a carpet python/green tree python cross. I will be keeping all offspring and will not be breeding them in the future. I think that the issue with hybrids comes when they get out into the public without being documented as such.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

superpastel37 (01-03-2012)

Thanks

wow, in the short time it took me to edit my post to have it worded corrctly, three more posts popped up, i have a feeling this will be a very long thread
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmack91 View Post
    wow, in the short time it took me to edit my post to have it worded corrctly, three more posts popped up, i have a feeling this will be a very long thread
    Hybrid threads always are. People have opinions across the board, and you've got people who think it isn't acceptable/ethical, and people who are for it. I personally don't see an issue as long as it's done with documentation (as others have said). I'm particularly fond of Woma/Ball python hybrids, and want one as a pet. Hybrids can be difficult, and I don't feel like producing it myself. However, there are going to be a lot of people who think it is irresponsible and refuse to buy from breeders known to produce hybrids, and that's their choice. Opinions are like... well, you get the idea

Erica Evans
    Scourge of the San Juan Islands
    High Tide Exotics
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Valentine Pirate For This Useful Post:

superpastel37 (01-03-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine Pirate View Post
    Hybrid threads always are.
    so ive noticed lol, as of now, im just gonna stay out of it haha
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Thanks

when talking about hybrids, i think of "superballs"... i dont think that there is anything wrong with hyrids, but as the other posts before me have said,,, if its done responsibaly.
    just from what i know,, and think as of now, a F1 superball doesent look anything like a BP, or a blood,, and the F2's kinda dont resemble eigther one (origional parrents, or F1's) so as long as the "hybrid" stays true (hybrid X hybrid), i couldent see there being a problem with misrepresentation.. BUT,,, when a hybrid is bred back to the origional parrent (blood python/ ball python) the features start to resemble the said parrents, and this is where the trouble might begin..
    im all for hybrids, but i can also understand the concerns of those that might be against it. as far as the "ethics" part goes, we keep snakes in out homes, is that ethical? though most of the BP's we have today are C/B, there are alot being exported from Africa, is that ethical? im in no position to talk ethics,, that would kinda be like the pot calling the kettle black.
    thanks
    spooky
    Last edited by mr.spooky; 01-02-2012 at 06:52 PM.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mr.spooky For This Useful Post:

cmack91 (01-02-2012),purplemuffin (01-03-2012),RobNJ (01-03-2012),superpastel37 (01-03-2012),The Serpent Merchant (01-02-2012)

Thanks

i would like to thank everyone for their input on this topic you have all given me some more things to think about . and seeing as i've got some time before i get this project going i have some serious brain storming to do. thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast