Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,892

2 members and 2,890 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Corn Snakes eating crickets?

I dont know anything about corns so correct me if Im wrong but baby corns cant eat crickets can they? Reason I ask is because today at PetSmart I was getting bedding and I saw an associate sell someone a 40 gallon Zilla tank for a baby corn and told him to feed it crickets until it gets bigger .... It should be eating fuzzies or at the very least pinkies, right? and that cage is WAY too big for it. UGHH some people at Petsmart/Petco are morons.
    0.1 Ball Python
    0.1 Colombian Red Tail Boa
    0.1.2 Gargoyle Gecko

2. The Following User Says Thank You to abrunsen For This Useful Post:

decensored (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Yeah, that's terrible! I can only assume the store also carries rough/smooth green snakes and he got them mixed up(don't ask me how..).. Hopefully someone gives him better advice before that snake bites the dust.

Thanks
    That's actually an extremely common care tip given by petsmart employees for corn snakes. They are told to say that about corn snakes--because it helps boost sales. Oh look, a small snake you don't have to feed mice to. Helps sell snakes to mothers of young boys who are ignorant of snake care. The one near me suggests that on a cricket diet their 'body adjusts to stay small and healthy so they can live on a cricket diet for life'

riiiight..

Thanks
    Employees at Petsmart/Petco always give me a good laugh, they dont know jack squat. I like to ask them care questions just to be entertained by their bs answers.
    1.0 Green Anaconda-(No Name)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa-(Pandora)
    0.1 Leucistic Texas Rat-(Luna)
    1.0 Albino Texas Rat-(Jolly)
    1.0 Hypo Everglades Rat-(Koba)
    0.0.2 Black Rat-(Bonne & Clyde)
    1.0 Ornate Nile Monitor-(Dracula)
    0.0.1 Green Bottle Blue Tarantula-(No Name)

R.I.P. Shebah

Thanks
    John, there were no green snakes... so unfortunately it wasnt a mix up. I was almost tempted to go up to the guy and tell him the tank is way too big and to go grab some mice because it needs that to be healthy. I am curious though..... when they are babies will they strike at crickets and eat them?...
    0.1 Ball Python
    0.1 Colombian Red Tail Boa
    0.1.2 Gargoyle Gecko

Registered User Kamille Kirkendoll's Avatar
    Thanks
    That's honestly disgusting. No other word would suffice.

Poor baby corn. Crickets?! Crickets?!!! Besides that horror, a 40 gallon breeder? For a babe?
    1.0.0 Classic Corn-Apollo
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon-Aaliyah
    1.0.0 Normal Ball Python-Basil
    0.1.0 Satanic House Cat-Mouse
    2.0.0 Male Fancy Rats - Heathcliffe & Darcy

Thanks
    I got my Frank at Petco. He was my first snake and I knew very little about corns at the time but the employee's there knew even less then I did and were actually afraid to put their hands in the tank to pick him up. They had multiple corns, of various sizes, in the cage and their way of getting him out was to poke things at him. Needless to say I was very angry and had to threaten them with calling the corporation to get a reasonable responce. They finally let me pick him up myself but the trama stressed us both out. He is fine now, eats like a horse, and has shed twice for me but that experience gave me a healthy view of just how bad those places are.
    "Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw

Thanks
    We got a baby copperhead from a moron on Craigslist that was apparently feeding it crickets
    *Heather*
    I can't keep up with what I have

Thanks

Re: Corn Snakes eating crickets?

Quote Originally Posted by heathers*bps View Post
    We got a baby copperhead from a moron on Craigslist that was apparently feeding it crickets
    WHAT!!!!!! That's just cruel!
    "Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw

Thanks

Re: Corn Snakes eating crickets?

Quote Originally Posted by drama x View Post
    Employees at Petsmart/Petco always give me a good laugh, they dont know jack squat. I like to ask them care questions just to be entertained by their bs answers.
    I get really tired of saying this, but please do not lump all Petsmart/Petco employees together. I worked for Petsmart for a year and a half and I am quite knowledgable about all the animals that were under my care. Perhaps the employees in your area are bad and that needs to be addressed, but in the store I worked in, my co-workers (with the exception of the managers) were knowledgeable about the animals in the department and knew what they were doing. It was only when we got a new pet care manager that knew jack diddly that things began going downhill.

If I hear pet store employees giving bad info, I step in and say something. Before I ever worked for a Petsmart I went into a local Petsmart near me (not the one I ended up working in) and a lady was asking questions about a leopard gecko. The employee was failing miserably so I stepped over and politely put myself in the conversation and the employee let me take over. If you overheard an employee giving bad husbandry advice, I would take it to the mananger and let them know the employee needs a bit more training. Of course, it is not the employees fault. Training materials are not very informative.
    Under Construction.....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay_Bunny For This Useful Post:

Tereghan (01-09-2012)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast