Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,090

0 members and 3,090 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Corn Snakes eating crickets?

I dont know anything about corns so correct me if Im wrong but baby corns cant eat crickets can they? Reason I ask is because today at PetSmart I was getting bedding and I saw an associate sell someone a 40 gallon Zilla tank for a baby corn and told him to feed it crickets until it gets bigger .... It should be eating fuzzies or at the very least pinkies, right? and that cage is WAY too big for it. UGHH some people at Petsmart/Petco are morons.
    0.1 Ball Python
    0.1 Colombian Red Tail Boa
    0.1.2 Gargoyle Gecko

2. The Following User Says Thank You to abrunsen For This Useful Post:

decensored (01-02-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,669 Posts
    Yeah, that's terrible! I can only assume the store also carries rough/smooth green snakes and he got them mixed up(don't ask me how..).. Hopefully someone gives him better advice before that snake bites the dust.

Thanks
    That's actually an extremely common care tip given by petsmart employees for corn snakes. They are told to say that about corn snakes--because it helps boost sales. Oh look, a small snake you don't have to feed mice to. Helps sell snakes to mothers of young boys who are ignorant of snake care. The one near me suggests that on a cricket diet their 'body adjusts to stay small and healthy so they can live on a cricket diet for life'

riiiight..

Thanks
    Employees at Petsmart/Petco always give me a good laugh, they dont know jack squat. I like to ask them care questions just to be entertained by their bs answers.
    1.0 Green Anaconda-(No Name)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa-(Pandora)
    0.1 Leucistic Texas Rat-(Luna)
    1.0 Albino Texas Rat-(Jolly)
    1.0 Hypo Everglades Rat-(Koba)
    0.0.2 Black Rat-(Bonne & Clyde)
    1.0 Ornate Nile Monitor-(Dracula)
    0.0.1 Green Bottle Blue Tarantula-(No Name)

R.I.P. Shebah

Thanks

Re: Corn Snakes eating crickets?

Quote Originally Posted by drama x View Post
    Employees at Petsmart/Petco always give me a good laugh, they dont know jack squat. I like to ask them care questions just to be entertained by their bs answers.
    I get really tired of saying this, but please do not lump all Petsmart/Petco employees together. I worked for Petsmart for a year and a half and I am quite knowledgable about all the animals that were under my care. Perhaps the employees in your area are bad and that needs to be addressed, but in the store I worked in, my co-workers (with the exception of the managers) were knowledgeable about the animals in the department and knew what they were doing. It was only when we got a new pet care manager that knew jack diddly that things began going downhill.

If I hear pet store employees giving bad info, I step in and say something. Before I ever worked for a Petsmart I went into a local Petsmart near me (not the one I ended up working in) and a lady was asking questions about a leopard gecko. The employee was failing miserably so I stepped over and politely put myself in the conversation and the employee let me take over. If you overheard an employee giving bad husbandry advice, I would take it to the mananger and let them know the employee needs a bit more training. Of course, it is not the employees fault. Training materials are not very informative.
    Under Construction.....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay_Bunny For This Useful Post:

Tereghan (01-09-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    I get really tired of saying this, but please do not lump all Petsmart/Petco employees together. I worked for Petsmart for a year and a half and I am quite knowledgable about all the animals that were under my care. Perhaps the employees in your area are bad and that needs to be addressed, but in the store I worked in, my co-workers (with the exception of the managers) were knowledgeable about the animals in the department and knew what they were doing. It was only when we got a new pet care manager that knew jack diddly that things began going downhill.

If I hear pet store employees giving bad info, I step in and say something. Before I ever worked for a Petsmart I went into a local Petsmart near me (not the one I ended up working in) and a lady was asking questions about a leopard gecko. The employee was failing miserably so I stepped over and politely put myself in the conversation and the employee let me take over. If you overheard an employee giving bad husbandry advice, I would take it to the mananger and let them know the employee needs a bit more training. Of course, it is not the employees fault. Training materials are not very informative.
    Yes, the Petco/PetSmart bashing has become as chronic as the Craigslist bashing. It's neither fair nor accurate.

The true spreader of the corn snakes and crickets BS is none other than Melissa Kraplan and her Anapsid care sheet for these animals.

The fist hit you get on Google when searching for Corn Snake Care is her care sheet:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=5&gs...w=1679&bih=929

When you click on that link, you are treated to a discussion in which crickets are named as part of the neonate diet.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 01-01-2012 at 11:23 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Jay_Bunny (01-01-2012)

Thanks

Well it must just be in my area then cause they dont know anything down here, and iv been to ALOT of Petsmarts/Petcos and they all seems to have insufficiant knowledge towards their reptiles, but then again they are the Walmart of the reptile trade, cant blame them lol my opinion stands
    1.0 Green Anaconda-(No Name)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa-(Pandora)
    0.1 Leucistic Texas Rat-(Luna)
    1.0 Albino Texas Rat-(Jolly)
    1.0 Hypo Everglades Rat-(Koba)
    0.0.2 Black Rat-(Bonne & Clyde)
    1.0 Ornate Nile Monitor-(Dracula)
    0.0.1 Green Bottle Blue Tarantula-(No Name)

R.I.P. Shebah

Thanks

So you would lump me in with those bad Petsmart/Petco Employees, as well as all of my co-workers? Not to mention the friends I have who work in Petsmarts around town? What needs to happen, is instead of us reptile hobbyists just sitting around bashing a company like Petsmart or Petco because their employees lack knowledge, we should be putting ourselves into those companies to change it.

This is why I want to own my own pet store. So I can provide the right information. If you were to look at the actual policies of companies like Petsmart and Petco, then you'd see they are relatively knowledgable and truely care about the animals. It is when you have people working there that look at the policy and say "screw it" and do things half ***.

Now, I don't agree with feeding crickets to baby corns (that person was obviously misinformed as it is NOT Petsmart policy to recommend insects for a corn snake.), however a 40g tank (as mentioned above) is not necessarily bad for a baby corn. I started mine off in a 20g and she never missed a meal. She probably would have been just as happy in a 40g. Corns are not as finicky as balls are. As long as they are warm and have a mouse stuck in their face once a week, they are pretty much happy. At least that is how my Zim (snow corn) is.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

I agree, we used ti have a reptile keeper at petsmart that BREED burmese and BP's. Not all employees for petsmarts and petco have no experience. Regardless most stores just hire for the "can you sell it aspect"

I myself.. Give info to anyone who is being told wrong, I try to do it politely BUT I do have a explosive blowout at Sailfin, (local store, wrote a review recently in the Feedback) were the employ call me a few bad words I'm not going to repeat. needless to say, all we can do it educate people who others have failed.
    1.0 Pied Ball Python (Rumple Stillkins) 2.0 Normal Ball (Simba) (legolas) 1.0 Pastel Ball (Isildur) 0.1 Normal Het? (Sarabi RIP 2013) 1.0 Burmese Python (Sephiroth) 0.1 Granite Burmese Python 1.0 Albino Burmese Python 1.0 Tiger Retic (Steve Irwin RIP 2012) 0.1 Lavender Albino Tiger (RIP 2012) 1.0 Spider Ball Python Spidey 1.0 Pewter Ball (pew pew) 0.1 Cinnamon Ball (Cinny) 1.0 Lavender Albino Retic (Old Yeller) 0.1 High Contrast Albino Retic (Sunshine) 0.1 BCI (Ruby)

Here I Stand, The Black Sheep Of The Family, To you, Worth Less Then Zero. A Chef And A Reptile Lover. Yet, Reptiles Are Not A Hobby, But A Way Of Life.

Thanks
    Again, this is why I really want to own my own pet store. I will say though, the store I worked in wasn't near that bad. The employees in the Pet Care area had a good basic knowledge of the animals (even the reptiles) and when I came in, I gave them a knowledge boost and our reptile section was awesome. No one left there with the wrong information. It was management that sucked. They hired some idiot who thought she knew about animals because she was going to school to become an equine vet, yet she knew diddly squat about anything other than horses.

She tried to convince me that feeding raw to my ferrets was dangerous and unnecessary. She also would not seek veterinary care for emaciated and mite-covered snakes, and even transferred one snake over to another store while it was covered in mites. That is when I left, and apparently, ever since I left, nothing has improved and they've even hired a girl in the department who sold a koi for a bowl.

I've made the decision I'm going to get my schooling on and take some business courses and in a few years open my own pet store. I have some good ideas, but I'm going to be studying a lot for the next few years.
    Under Construction.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast