Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,875

0 members and 2,875 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Best way to fatten up a ball?

I've had Atlas since the end of June, he came to me a little on the thin side and has grown about a foot since then, but he seems to have slimmed down a bit too much. S/He (I don't actually know the sex) weighed in at about 450 grams a few days ago and measured in at almost 3 feet long. He only refuses food when in shed, though his latest meal was the first in a little under 3 weeks. He eats an appropriately sized rat once a week when not in shed. He isn't starving by any means, but I feel like he is a bit on the light side. I am wondering what schedule to put him on food wise to get his weight up or if since I am not planning on breeding it doesn't matter.

Thank you,
    CK

Here are some pictures snapped today.

I love what I love. Forever. Don't expect that to change.

Thanks

Re: Best way to fatten up a ball?

I dunno, that snake doesnt look to bad, not noticeably underweight (that may be just do to a lack of reference point) if you believe that it is under weight wich 450g and 3ft long sounds skinny feed appropriate sized meals every 5 days for a while
    JUSTIN MITCHELL
    PRIMAL SCREAM REPTILES

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jjmitchell For This Useful Post:

decensored (11-05-2011)

Thanks
    S/He appears to be a healthy girth to me. Maybe a little on the thin side but nothing that I see merit for concern. The weight is a little puzzling to me because he/she looks way healthier than I would assume a three foot snake that weighs 500grams would look. If you interested in making him/ her fatter you could switch it onto a 5 day feeding schedule but honestly if your not planning on breeding than as long as their eating regularly every 7 days they will be fine. He looks good to me, but since he is still young - he can absolutely be put on a 5 day feeding programs without any worry of over feeding.

Cheers.

Thanks
    He/She does not look skinny at all. How big are those carpet squares? As stated, it's hard to tell true size without a known reference.
    ***Tony S.***

Thanks
    Thanks for the responses. I genuinely was not worried about him until I got the weight in the other day. My 09 corn is only a little longer at 330 grams, and I feel like a BP should be so much heavier. His spine isn't prominent or anything, although he definitely could be rounder. Maybe s/he just a lightweight (ironic considering the name)? Maybe I'll move to a five day feed schedule for a little bit, but I don't know how long I can keep it up. My corn goes nuts when he smells the rats, and I don't think moving him down to small hoppers every five days to keep him from killing me will be very economical. I might also be able to bump up the size of the rats a little. The smalls he is eating now are invisible once he's swallowed them, and the last few feedings he was cruising the viv right after looking for more.

Thanks again,
    CK

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I just have to say, that when any of my balls are flat, I use an air compressor or tire pump to get them fat again...haha jk...
    Lots of BPs, and still not enough!

https://www.facebook.com/selectmorphs

This is addictive...what did I get myself into?...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'd say either bump him up to a slightly larger prey item, or if you feed live and are worried about feeding something too big, feed two if he'll take them. He doesn't look overly thin, though.

Thanks
    He eats frozen/thawed without issue. The carpet squares are 9" x 9". He ate on Wednesday, so I'll feed again on Monday.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    I do not think that snake is too thin in any way. He looks to be just right to me. See how he has the fat deposits near the base of his tail? He is a good weight. However, I can NOT see how a 3ft BP would be only 450gms!! My '09 4 foot female is over 1900 grams (and she IS a wee bit on the thin side - no real fat deposit around the tail). I wonder if the scale wasn't set right or not calibrated right?? I would have guessed a 3ft snake looking like this to be in the ball park of 1000 grams - not 450. No way.

Side note - those "fat deposits" at the base of the tail are not the be-all and end-all of determining if your snake is an appropriate weight. But you wouldn't see deposits like that at all on a snake that was too thin.

An appropriate sized rat once a week should be just fine for this snake - especially if you're not breeding him/her. Even if he does skip a meal or two once in a while, he should grow and gain weight at an appropriate rate on that schedule. There is no need to rush getting weight on - especially since he's not under weight. He'll gain at the rate that's healthy by simply feeding him as you currently are.

Incidentally, overfeeding can cause a BP to actually go on a hunger strike. I would not necessarily recommend feeding any more frequently than once a week. Up the prey size if you feel its necessary, but I'd stick to once a week.
    Last edited by Evenstar; 11-05-2011 at 04:05 PM.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

AK907 (11-05-2011)

Thanks

Re: Best way to fatten up a ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
    I do not think that snake is too thin in any way. He looks to be just right to me. See how he has the fat deposits near the base of his tail? He is a good weight. However, I can NOT see how a 3ft BP would be only 450gms!! My '09 4 foot female is over 1900 grams (and she IS a wee bit on the thin side - no real fat deposit around the tail). I wonder if the scale wasn't set right or not calibrated right?? I would have guessed a 3ft snake looking like this to be in the ball park of 1000 grams - not 450. No way.

Side note - those "fat deposits" at the base of the tail are not the be-all and end-all of determining if your snake is an appropriate weight. But you wouldn't see deposits like that at all on a snake that was too thin.

An appropriate sized rat once a week should be just fine for this snake - especially if you're not breeding him/her. Even if he does skip a meal or two once in a while, he should grow and gain weight at an appropriate rate on that schedule. There is no need to rush getting weight on - especially since he's not under weight. He'll gain at the rate that's healthy by simply feeding him as you currently are.

Incidentally, overfeeding can cause a BP to actually go on a hunger strike. I would not necessarily recommend feeding any more frequently than once a week. Up the prey size if you feel its necessary, but I'd stick to once a week.
    This.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast