Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,104

0 members and 3,104 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Handling??

Threaded View

Thanks

Handling??

I know when it comes to nippy and aggressive ball pythons, just sucking it up and taking the bites like a man, while continuing to handle them may possibly calm them down over time. But this is mainly because they dont really like to keep striking, they aren't exactly very fast and squirmish, so you can easily continue to handle them.

But I'm dealing with a young colubrid that is trying to literally JUMP out of my hands onto the floor while continuously biting over and over again, sometimes just biting and hanging on, trying to chew you up into little bits, while struggling and jumping around? Should I even try? Whenever I go in to pick him up, he runs like the wind while biting me twice or thrice, digs around into the substrate and disappears until I dig him out. I guess once he gets to slither around my arm and hand he doesnt take to biting, but he still tries to jump off my hand so I have to keep holding him which makes him bite. A lot. I'm afraid trying to handle him would stress him out too much. But at the same time I dont want him to grow up biting either, and I dont think they grow out of it that easily if I just leave him be until he gets big.
    Last edited by ogdentrece; 10-28-2011 at 10:35 AM.