Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,848

1 members and 2,847 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Heat pack question

So I know most people use the 24 or 40 hour heat packs from Uni-heat to ship their snakes, but I read that they can reach up to 140 degrees.
    I found out Uni-heat makes tropical fish heat packs that only reach about 70 degrees and last 20 hours. Could these be used to ship snakes?
    70 seems a little less likely to accidentally fry snakes.

I'm new to shipping (2 boxes shipped so far, both arrived safely).
    If you're shipping from CT to CA, they send them via plane right?
    I mean...if you have 60 degrees in CT, you would want to use a heat pack, but then CA is reading 85...I would be worried about overheating the snake with a heat pack that hits 140 degrees.

Thanks in advance...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Anything less than a 40hr heat pack will end up causing snake to freeze. Ive tested 40 hour heat packs in 82F room and surface temp never exceeded 115F. And being in a Plane which is winter up at 35k feet will keep box roughly in the 50F.

I just shipped a snake from Michigan(low 53) to Texas(low70) with 40 hour heat pack, snake didnt over heat but arrived Cool.

your shipment from CT to CA depends on over night lows not highs. Since i ship hub to hub i never pay attention to the highs as their never exposed to them.

Thanks
    I agree. Shipping hub to hub is the best case scenario if you can do it. Another thing to consider is weather delays. I just shipped a snake to louisianna from virginia and there was a fog delay that caused a 5 hour delay. Instead of early morning the aninal didnt arrive to the hub there until 2 pm. Another thing i like to do with heat packs is wrap the heat pack in newspaper and tape it to the side of the box so the animal isnt sitting on top of it the entire trip. I also dont cram an animal in a box. I like to give it some room and would rather pay the extra in shipping to ensure the animal has a little room to move around in the bag. Also poking a couple holes in the box through the foam isnt a bad idea. Overheating is a bigger issue then cooler temps i think. Also you have to look at the size of the animal. A baby cant withstand the drastic temps changes like an adult can. Remember ball pythons have the unique ability to regulate their internal temps to a point.
    [IMG][/IMG]