Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,866

0 members and 2,866 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Stink bugs?

Thanks

Stink bugs?

Can bearded dragons eat stinkbugs? I've found these evil creatures slowly making their way into our house and would love to find a use for them.

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    If they do, I'd happily send you the ones in my house! NJ's had a serious problem with them for the last few years.
    0.1 Dinker (Goliath), 1.1 Het Ghost (Hercules & Athena), 1.0 Lesser (Titan), 0.1 Het Albino (Arya), 0.1 Wild Caught (Cleopatra), 1.1 Het VPI Axanthic (Perseus & Aphrodite), 1.0 Albino (Midas), 1.0 Butter (Samson), 0.1 Spider (Delilah), 1.1 Mojave (Apollo & Pandora), 0.1 Yellowbelly (Venus), 1.1 Het Pied (Isis & Osiris), 1.0 Bumblebee (Orion), 1.0 (Poss G Stripe) Pied (Spartacus), 0.1 Normal (Bandit), 1.0 Albino Burm (Caesar),2.1 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, 0.0.1 African Dwarf Frog, 0.0.2 Vicious Fishes, 1.0 child, 1.0 husband

In Loving Memory: 1.0 Pastel Zeus, 0.1 het Albino Anya

I'm a girl, I have snakes, I have tattoos, and I have piercings.

The more I talk to humans, the more I prefer my snakes.

http://www.iherp.com/julieinnj

Thanks
    I don't keep Bearded Dragons, but I see 2 things right off the bat that suggest that would be a bad idea:

1. Never know what pesticides or other things they may have come in contact with that you don't want your animals eating.

2. I've never actually smelled the dreaded "stink" but they're supposed to be really foul when you crush them. (I just grab them with toilet paper and flush them when I find them in my house.) And also, I would assume whatever makes the stink can't taste very pleasant.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RyanT For This Useful Post:

Christine (09-14-2011)

Thanks

Re: Stink bugs?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanT View Post
    And also, I would assume whatever makes the stink can't taste very pleasant.
    Except for parmesan cheese!
    0.1 Dinker (Goliath), 1.1 Het Ghost (Hercules & Athena), 1.0 Lesser (Titan), 0.1 Het Albino (Arya), 0.1 Wild Caught (Cleopatra), 1.1 Het VPI Axanthic (Perseus & Aphrodite), 1.0 Albino (Midas), 1.0 Butter (Samson), 0.1 Spider (Delilah), 1.1 Mojave (Apollo & Pandora), 0.1 Yellowbelly (Venus), 1.1 Het Pied (Isis & Osiris), 1.0 Bumblebee (Orion), 1.0 (Poss G Stripe) Pied (Spartacus), 0.1 Normal (Bandit), 1.0 Albino Burm (Caesar),2.1 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, 0.0.1 African Dwarf Frog, 0.0.2 Vicious Fishes, 1.0 child, 1.0 husband

In Loving Memory: 1.0 Pastel Zeus, 0.1 het Albino Anya

I'm a girl, I have snakes, I have tattoos, and I have piercings.

The more I talk to humans, the more I prefer my snakes.

http://www.iherp.com/julieinnj

Thanks
    I wasn't even thinking about the fact that they could have come in contact with pesticides. So unfortunate because they're everywhere.

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks
    its always a bad idea to feed any animal in captivity wild caught prey. not only is the pesticide thing an issue but also paraistes are an issue as well.

Thanks
    Also you need to consider availability. You may have a bunch of stink bugs know, but they may not be around in abundance in a few years. I read an article about this guys bearded dragon that had a preference to grass hoppers after he fed them to him. After that his beardie would eat nothing else including greens. he had to harvest as many as he could before winter came but it wasnt enough to get him through till spring. He tried force feeding his beardie but it just wasnt enough. He eventually starved to death. I started introducing my beardie to dubia roaches about a mounth ago. I was trying to do it slowly but really after the first couple of feedings he wouldnt even look at crickets. Fortunately my colony is big enough to sustain him, and if it turns out not to be big enough. I have a friend who has a colony that I can get more from. Just be carefull what you feed him because he might not eat anything else.