Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,228

3 members and 3,225 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boa Help?

Thanks

Boa Help?

So I picked up two Boas today. I hadn't ever seen them before I picked them up. They were given to me, basically because they needed new homes and I could provide them thus.

I found out on sat that I was getting them, so I spent the weekend reading up on boas and the (what seems like) few hundered different types of boas.

My biggest issue now is - How on earth do I actually tell what they are? I've looked at a few hundred pictures, and to be honest, now I'm just confused. Would anybody here be willing to look at these two gorgeous creatures and tell me what they might be?

Snake 1 -

Snake 2 -

Any help is most sincerely appreciated. Thanks
    4.4.1 Normal BPs (Pandemonium, Sable, Typhon, Oberyn, Tortuga, Peekaboo, Naja, Kundalini, Icky)
    1.0 Het Pied BPs (Argonaut)
    1.0 Lesser x Butter BEL BP (Castiel)
    0.1 Pueblan Milksnake (NoFeet!)
    0.2 Cats (Little, Ty)
    0.1 Dog (Lucy)
    0.2 Rats (Jezebelle, Puddle)
    1.2 Mouse (Lemur, Tunami and Tsunami)
    Vermont Strong.

Thanks

Re: Boa Help?

The first one looks Nicaraguan and the second looks like a common Colombian, but honestly there is no way to tell 100% without knowing what the parents were. Good looking snakes though either way! What are their temperaments like?

Thanks
    They are both gorgeous and totally full of personality. Already figured out that the cats HAVE to go into another room if the boas are going to be out. They are FAST. I've never had a boa before, so all of this is a learning experience. Used to my slow BPs

The top one is super fast, very inquisitive and definitely wanted to know what my cat was..Since I got (it) into the tank, its just been hiding - which is understandable. Didn't really like being picked up, but was fine once I had a hold.

The bottom one is just as fast, just as inquisitive but much more personable. Was better about me picking it up.

Luckily neither has struck/bit me yet.
    The guy who gave them to me is going to probe them for me tonight. He got them in a trade (I think I'm the third person to have them this week). He wanted the housing unit they were in, and the snakes just came with it. He didn't have space for them, nor does he have boas (I don't think).

Thanks for your help! The more pictures of other snakes I look at, the more confused I was getting
    4.4.1 Normal BPs (Pandemonium, Sable, Typhon, Oberyn, Tortuga, Peekaboo, Naja, Kundalini, Icky)
    0.2 Cats (Little, Ty)
    0.1 Dog (Lucy)
    Vermont Strong.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Nice looking Boas and good size too. You are a lucky person.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ktint View Post
    Nice looking Boas and good size too. You are a lucky person.
    Boy don't I know it! This past weekend may have been the best weekend I've had in quite a while. Friday the 13th has always been a good day for me, but this year I got a new tattoo, a new job, 3 new snakes, found a ton of random money when I was cleaning and I had "christmas" with my grandmothers (which has never happened). And I got a toaster.

I am very lucky, and I am ever so thankful for it.
    0.2 Cats (Little, Ty)
    0.1 Dog (Lucy)
    Vermont Strong.

BPnet Veteran KatStoverReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xotik View Post
    Boy don't I know it! This past weekend may have been the best weekend I've had in quite a while. Friday the 13th has always been a good day for me, but this year I got a new tattoo, a new job, 3 new snakes, found a ton of random money when I was cleaning and I had "christmas" with my grandmothers (which has never happened). And I got a toaster.

I am very lucky, and I am ever so thankful for it.
    Well the toaster really seals the deal.

No but seriously, that 2nd one has a NICE lookin tail for how much size it looks like she has. I would default to them being common (or Columbian) red tails (BCI). But they look nice!!

And oh yeah, boas have a bit more of a inquisitive nature (in general) than bps. Mine always seems to look at my cat and I always imagine her saying, "In a couple years, when I'm big enough, I'm going to eat you!" Hehe!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KatStoverReptiles View Post
    Well the toaster really seals the deal.
    You have NO IDEA. My ex took the toaster oven in the divorce, and because I absolutely hate spending money on anything other than snakes - I haven't bought myself a new one. Now I can eat my eggos.

No but seriously, that 2nd one has a NICE lookin tail for how much size it looks like she has. I would default to them being common (or Columbian) red tails (BCI). But they look nice!!

And oh yeah, boas have a bit more of a inquisitive nature (in general) than bps. Mine always seems to look at my cat and I always imagine her saying, "In a couple years, when I'm big enough, I'm going to eat you!" Hehe!
    Yeah, all the pictures that had anything other than my hand for a size reference were super blurry (because well, they are inquisitive).

So here's another question - I feel like such a newbie now xD - An RTB is a BCI. so those terms are..interchangable? or an RTB is a BCI - but there are other BCI's. so not all BCIs are RTBs?

I think I may have gotten a few things crossed x.x
    0.2 Cats (Little, Ty)
    0.1 Dog (Lucy)
    Vermont Strong.

Thanks
    BCC's are the true Red Tails, however people call BCI red tails as well. Pet store adage, helps them sell better. Nice looking snakes you got for free.
    0.1.0 Normal Ball Python 2.0.0 BCI ?
    1.0.0 Western Hognose 0.0.1 Albino Tangerine Honduran Milk Snake
    0.1.0 Rosy Boa 0.1.0 Snow Motley Corn snake
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk Snake 0.1.0 Gray Banded King Snake
    2.0.0 Okeetee Corn Snakes 0.1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk snake
    0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake 1.2.0 Hog Island Boas
    1.1.0 Colombian Rainbow Boa 0.1.0 Nicaraguan Boa
    0.1.0 California King Snake 1.0.0 Solomon Island ground Boa
    1.1.0 Amelanistic Nelson's Milk Snake 0.1.0 Sunglow Boa
    0.0.1 Guyanan Red Tail

BPnet Veteran KatStoverReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xotik View Post
    You have NO IDEA. My ex took the toaster oven in the divorce, and because I absolutely hate spending money on anything other than snakes - I haven't bought myself a new one. Now I can eat my eggos.

Yeah, all the pictures that had anything other than my hand for a size reference were super blurry (because well, they are inquisitive).

So here's another question - I feel like such a newbie now xD - An RTB is a BCI. so those terms are..interchangable? or an RTB is a BCI - but there are other BCI's. so not all BCIs are RTBs?

I think I may have gotten a few things crossed x.x
    RTB is a acronym for Red Tailed Boa. It's the "common name." Common names are what "we" call animals, like dog, cat, horse, etc. Their scientific names are made up of their genus and species like Canis lupus familiaris, Felis catus, Equus ferus caballus, etc.

BCI is an acronym for Boa Constrictor Imperator. It's the scientific classification name for the subspecies.

BCC is an acronym for Boa Constrictor Constrictor. It's the scientific classification name for the subspecies.

Boa Constrictor is the scientific classification name for the genus and species.

Fun Fact: Only 2 animals in history have their scientific name as their common name. Boa Constrictor and tyrannosaurus rex.

Thanks

RTB is a acronym for Red Tailed Boa. It's the "common name." Common names are what "we" call animals, like dog, cat, horse, etc. Their scientific names are made up of their genus and species like Canis lupus familiaris, Felis catus, Equus ferus caballus, etc.

BCI is an acronym for Boa Constrictor Imperator. It's the scientific classification name for the subspecies.

BCC is an acronym for Boa Constrictor Constrictor. It's the scientific classification name for the subspecies.

Boa Constrictor is the scientific classification name for the genus and species.
    Okay - so RTB = snake equivalent of "dog"

BCC and BCI are subs of the genus/species - boa constrictor.

PHEW. Now that I figured that out.

So I guess now my question is - what should I refer to them as to not look like a TOTAL idiot?

Fun Fact: Only 2 animals in history have their scientific name as their common name. Boa Constrictor and tyrannosaurus rex.
    I knew this! I love odd random bits of information. They make life more interesting
    0.2 Cats (Little, Ty)
    0.1 Dog (Lucy)
    Vermont Strong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast