Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,923

2 members and 2,921 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exo-Terra Terrarium advice and other general starting questions

So I was able to pick up a 36x18x18 Exo-Terra terrarium Model: PT2613 for $70. A steal right? Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here have had any experience with it. What are it's short comings and what does it excel at such as humidity retention and so forth.

Also, it's currently on my floor as I can't find a suitable stand to place it on. Any modern aquarium stand it simply too skinny. Some overlap wouldn't be an issue but they generally have a little lip on them and that makes it useless to me. Any suggestions there without spending $150 or more for the exact stand brand new?

I've been doing my research on BP's for a year now and I think it's finally time to take the plunge and get my first one. This forum has been nothing but helpful to be even though I've only been lurking mostly. Thanks to everyone and their insight. I plan on sticking around here for a while.

That being said, whats the best most trustworthy way to purchase a BP in ya'lls opinion? I tend to think that buying directly from craigslist or even kingsnake seems a bit amateurish. Am I being too cautious?

Thanks

Exo-Terra Terrarium advice and other general starting questions

Not sure regarding any of your questions, EXCEPT, look for a reputable breeder to purchase your BP from. :3
    Last edited by Fraido; 10-22-2014 at 12:01 PM.
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks

Re: Exo-Terra Terrarium advice and other general starting questions

Fraido,

Thank you! I read your thread last night about your dads cornsnake. I hope you find a good vet and that it makes a full recovery. You're doing an awesome job!

I'd ask your opinion on reputable breeders but you're all the way in Canada and I live in Texas. So unless it's one that's quite obvious like BHB or NERD then We might not have much of an overlap when it comes to breeders in our respective areas.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Madscrills For This Useful Post:

Fraido (10-22-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Madscrills View Post
    Fraido,

Thank you! I read your thread last night about your dads cornsnake. I hope you find a good vet and that it makes a full recovery. You're doing an awesome job!

I'd ask your opinion on reputable breeders but you're all the way in Canada and I live in Texas. So unless it's one that's quite obvious like BHB or NERD then We might not have much of an overlap when it comes to breeders in our respective areas.
    Why thank you! ^-^

I actually have never gotten a reptile from an actual breeder, haha, so I'm just no help! I wish I could suggest some places based off of my own experiences, but I cannot. I'm sure many can though, and I'm sure someone will help you, you'll get a lovely BP!
    Crawling back into the reptile scene once more!

Thanks
    I've got one of those exo terras. I like the front opening doors and I find the foam background attractive. Most of the problems you'll find keeping ball pythons in it are just general problems you get with keeping snakes in glass tanks. Depending on your area humidity can be a problem and you may want to cover part if not all of the top screen. Generally I'd suggest checking out the setting up a glass tank thread. If you get a baby you'll want to put a lot of decorations or crumpled newspaper or something to crowd it up so they feel secure. Also a problem I've ran into with them (though for me its not that big of a deal) is my baby ball python crawling behind the foam background. At first I was afraid he'd be stuck and would tear apart the tank to get him out but I've since seen him get back there and back out. I figure eventually he'll be too big to fit underneath it.

(edit) Also while you may be nervous to pick up a snake off of craigslist you may want to comb it for cheap tables, desks, or other furniture to fit the large cage on. I've got mine on a big writing desk.
    Last edited by salt; 10-22-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    I've had two of the front-opening ExoTerras. While they're nice for retaining heat and humidity if you keep the top covered, the glass in the bottom of both of mine cracked in under two years.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by salt View Post
    I've got one of those exo terras. I like the front opening doors and I find the foam background attractive. Most of the problems you'll find keeping ball pythons in it are just general problems you get with keeping snakes in glass tanks. Depending on your area humidity can be a problem and you may want to cover part if not all of the top screen. Generally I'd suggest checking out the setting up a glass tank thread. If you get a baby you'll want to put a lot of decorations or crumpled newspaper or something to crowd it up so they feel secure. Also a problem I've ran into with them (though for me its not that big of a deal) is my baby ball python crawling behind the foam background. At first I was afraid he'd be stuck and would tear apart the tank to get him out but I've since seen him get back there and back out. I figure eventually he'll be too big to fit underneath it.

(edit) Also while you may be nervous to pick up a snake off of craigslist you may want to comb it for cheap tables, desks, or other furniture to fit the large cage on. I've got mine on a big writing desk.
    Thanks Salt!

I actually don't have the rock background, that wasn't included. Which is fine because I didn't really like that look anyway. And as for browsing craigslist for furniture, I do that a ton. As a matter of fact I just got someone to sell me a cheap wine rack with glass door that I'll re purpose into an incubator eventually. I just think i'd have better luck purchasing a quality animal from somewhere other than craigslist is all. But thanks for all the advice! I'll definitely take a look at that thread you mentioned.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I've had two of the front-opening ExoTerras. While they're nice for retaining heat and humidity if you keep the top covered, the glass in the bottom of both of mine cracked in under two years.
    Bcr229, do you think that had to do with the heating from an UTH or was it from moving them or something? Are they still usable or will the bottom fall out of it if you lift them up?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Madscrills View Post
    Bcr229, do you think that had to do with the heating from an UTH or was it from moving them or something? Are they still usable or will the bottom fall out of it if you lift them up?
    Both cracked over the UTH. I don't know when it happened, but it wasn't because they were moved - I found the cracks when doing a substrate change. One month the cracks weren't there, the next they were. The floors remained intact and didn't fall out. I considered removing the broken floor and replacing it with a piece of plexiglass, but then found a deal too good to pass up on used melamine enclosures for all of my colubrids, so the broken ExoTerras got tossed.
    Last edited by bcr229; 10-22-2014 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    Both cracked over the UTH
    That's so odd, normally glass doesn't just crack with heat. Usually it has to be a pretty drastic temperature change over a short period of time. That's certainly a concern. Thank you for the insight my friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast