Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,742

0 members and 2,742 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered User fluffpuffgerbil's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: best and cheap setups for ball pythons i need help.

Yeah, I won't be caught without a T-stat. I'll be getting the hydrofarm one.

RetiredJedi- do you have anything else with your T-stat to regulate it or something? I was told to like, put a piece of glass or something underneath one so it would heat up slower and cool down slower with the on/off t-stat. But I don't think I'd need to with an ultratherm that doesn't get too hot.
    (I feel like I'm hijacking the thread... I'll stop now. xD This thread is very helpful though)
    Herps:
    2.2.0.2 Crested Geckos(Dagger, Boga, Kess, Beast, Maka, eggs)(With more eggs on the way from Dagger and Kess!) 1.1 Bearded dragons(Scou, Rizat) 0.1 Normal Ball Pythons(Kallista)
    0.1 gargoyle gecko(Rory/Freckles)

Other family members in the house:
    0.1 Alaskan Husky(Alaska), 1.2 indoor cats(Boots, Rocket, Fable), 0.1 outdoor cat(Slinky)
    1.1 Parents, 0.2 sisters(1 older, 1 younger)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    Basics...

1. a tub, 15qt work great for hatchlings ~ $4.50 @ malwarts
    2. hide if you use them ~
    3. water bowl ~ $2ish
    4. paper towel/newspaper
    5. Pre-wired 11x12 inch piece of flexwatt(reptilebasics), I would cut it down to 6 inches long* so it fits nicely under the 15qt tub with just over 1/3 of the tub sitting on the flexwatt. ~ $10 delivered
    6. thermostat to regulate ~ $30
    7. thermometer with probe to keep a close eye on your hot spot and the ambient temperature. ~ $10 - $15

Around $60 bucks and your completely set up to add

*@ 6 inches long you have another piece for your next baby
    Last edited by snakesRkewl; 08-01-2011 at 02:53 PM.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks
    No, I cut a piece of cardboard the size of the UTH, put a piece of tinfoil on top of that (to direct the heat upward), and then taped the UTH to the cardboard. That was just to keep it flat and in place. So from bottom to top I have, cardboard, tinfoil, UTH. The tinfoil might not even be needed but it keeps the heat going towards the tub.
    1.0 Boxer (Boba…@bobatheboxer on IG)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Blaming the leader of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their leader."
    ~unknown~
    SUPPORT OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredJedi For This Useful Post:

piebald95 (08-02-2011)

Registered User fluffpuffgerbil's Avatar
    Thanks

I see, thank you, Jedi! That sounds like a good, cheap and easy thing to do. (We have an excess of cardboard. XD)

I'll keep that in mind so I can steal your setup idea for when I get a BP.
    And what tape do you use? Not just plain old regular tape do you?(I don't see that working well with they UTH...)
    Last edited by fluffpuffgerbil; 08-01-2011 at 03:01 PM.
    Herps:
    2.2.0.2 Crested Geckos(Dagger, Boga, Kess, Beast, Maka, eggs)(With more eggs on the way from Dagger and Kess!) 1.1 Bearded dragons(Scou, Rizat) 0.1 Normal Ball Pythons(Kallista)
    0.1 gargoyle gecko(Rory/Freckles)

Other family members in the house:
    0.1 Alaskan Husky(Alaska), 1.2 indoor cats(Boots, Rocket, Fable), 0.1 outdoor cat(Slinky)
    1.1 Parents, 0.2 sisters(1 older, 1 younger)

Thanks
    I think a scale is one of the most important peices of any reptile husbandry equipment. And it IS 100% necessary. Picture this you have 1 very loved beloved pet snake. He goes on a fast. But its in the summer. Why would he do this? How do you tell whether this is an illness or completely normal? A SCALE. To have a ball not eating is extremely stressful. And in every reptiles life time they will have and issue or two no matter what. Balls are prone to fast. All reptiles no matter what it is do not show their weaknesses until it's too late. So by the time your eye has noticed your beloved pet had lost weight and looks really skinny he is ALREADY at deaths door. That is the nature of a reptile. The only way to have a complete history in case a vet appt is needed is to have weights. I always no matter what recommend a new owner have a scale, and a notebook. You should be recording defecations, feeding, regurge, shed, weight and odd behavior everytime . That way a vet will have a complete an accurate background on your pet. And not just guess work.
    Weights should be taken on a monthly bases if he eating normally. If he's fasting 2x monthly. That way you will catch an illness with time to do something about it. I promise you if there's one thing you want to get its a scale. It will save your pets/ breeding animals life in the end if theres a problem. And if it's just a fast it will save you countless worrisome nights, and questions wondering what's going on with your pet. Sick reptiles lose weight. Heathy happy ones don't.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homegrownscales For This Useful Post:

PitOnTheProwl (08-11-2011),Skittles1101 (08-11-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fluffpuffgerbil View Post
    ...And what tape do you use? Not just plain old regular tape do you?(I don't see that working well with they UTH...)
    No I use some duct tape and have it on the edges of the UTH that doesn't touch the heated area and it has yet to come off.
    Last edited by RetiredJedi; 08-01-2011 at 03:23 PM.
    "Blaming the leader of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their leader."
    ~unknown~
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredJedi For This Useful Post:

fluffpuffgerbil (08-01-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homegrownscales View Post
    ...I always no matter what recommend a new owner have a scale, and a notebook. You should be recording defecations, feeding, regurge, shed, weight and odd behavior everytime...

That is one thing I forgot to mention. I document everything; weight, tub cleaning, start/finish shedding, feeding and how long it took to grab the rat, every once in a while I record temps and humidity, handling, etc.
    ~unknown~

Thanks
    A reptile rescue in my area often gets donated set ups with the reptiles. Since they already have caging and so many people who adopt want to buy new, they often sell the used setups for money to run the rescue. They get tanks, cages, thermostats, heating--the works. There might be something similar where you live.

I also once belonged to a herp club. People often sold off their no longer needed set ups at reasonable prices. I know that it's not always available, but I've seen really good stuff (and bought really good stuff) from my old herp club newsletter. Since you are trying to get things together on a budget you might want to look into these things. I cleaned the cages out good with bleach water and let them dry in the sun and there were no issues.
    "Why I Have Grey Hair," the story of my life:

The cast: 0.1 het pied, Minnie, "Heartless." 0.1 pied, Dorothy, "The Girl Next Door." 0.1 mojave, Lily, "Stuck Up Little Princess." 0.1 pastel yb, Marilyn, "The Bombshell." 0.1 normal, Miss Maenad, "Femme Fatale." 1.0 dinker, Darth Jackass, "Scum of the Earth." 1.0 piebald, Mickey, "A Really Nice Guy." 1.0 jigsaw, Kaa, "The Young Dude." 0.1 cinnamon, Hera, "If Looks Could Kill" 0.1 pastel, Luna, "If It Moves, Eat It"

Recently joined by Badger and Honey, 1.1 spotnoses.

...and an ever-changing host of supporting actors and actresses: rat and ASF.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredJedi View Post
    You're welcome...if you keep checking back I'm sure I missed something and someone will add something... that UTH is really nice. It's kinda like heat tape that is already cut and setup for you. Even though it is low wattage you should still use something to monitor it.
    thats great but how is the snake supposed to breath through a tub

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piebald95 View Post
    thats great but how is the snake supposed to breath through a tub
    Well number one a tub isn't air tight and number two you will have to put a few holes in it to get your humidity right. However, plastic tubs from Walmart aren't sealed air tight.
    ~unknown~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast