Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,865

1 members and 2,864 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Should I throw out 50 small frozen mice, just go through them or feed twice a week.

We bought our baby ball last September along with a bag of 100 frozen small mice – he is awesome.
    Anyway, the first few months we had a tough time getting him to eat the frozen mice and ended up needed to feed him live mice – sometimes adult live mice – which was never an issue. And after a handful of live mice, we have been able to get into a weekly routine with the frozen. However, the frozen seem so small. I’ve tried feeding him multiples and while he’s coil around the second, he just ends up leaving him there. I do not want to power feed as it seems unhealthy. So what do I do…?
    Should I throw out the small mice and get bigger ones or do I feed him more frequently… he’ll eat another after a few days.

Thanks

Re: Should I throw out 50 small frozen mice, just go through them or feed twice a wee

You could cut a larger frozen thawed mouse open, and stuff a few smaller ones inside, and sew it closed with a single knot of white cotton thread, the snake will just pass the cotton with the rest of the mouse fur with his next bowel movement... You know make your snake a double mouse burrito, lol...

Does this make me sound like a sick individual?

At the reptile shelter where I volunteer we do this with large rats, we sew them head to butt, 4 rats long and then feed them to our King Cobra, in the wild they are snake eaters, and this ensures that he gets a decent sized meal when he takes a rat. The thread does not hurt him, he just gives it back to us a little while later...

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ham For This Useful Post:

Anna.Sitarski (06-21-2011),nymark (06-20-2011),Redneck_Crow (06-21-2011),SoFarAway (06-21-2011)

Thanks

Re: Should I throw out 50 small frozen mice, just go through them or feed twice a wee

Quote Originally Posted by Ham View Post
    You could cut a larger frozen thawed mouse open, and stuff a few smaller ones inside, and sew it closed with a single knot of white cotton thread, the snake will just pass the cotton with the rest of the mouse fur with his next bowel movement... You know make your snake a double mouse burrito, lol...

Does this make me sound like a sick individual?

At the reptile shelter where I volunteer we do this with large rats, we sew them head to butt, 4 rats long and then feed them to our King Cobra, in the wild they are snake eaters, and this ensures that he gets a decent sized meal when he takes a rat. The thread does not hurt him, he just gives it back to us a little while later...
    Ha! Sick? ....Slightly. It's a good idea - but I'd probably throw them out first. Do you think I should to get him a bigger weekly meal? Or is a small weekly ok? Or is a small meal twice a week ok?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

I'd feed off the small ones as multiples.

But don't offer them until he has finished swallowing the previous one and reset his jaws.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

I'd feed off the small ones as multiples.

But don't offer them until he has finished swallowing the previous one and reset his jaws.

dr del
    Mulitples in one feeding does not work. How often do you think I can saftely feed my Ball small mice? Daily, every few days or weekly? Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by nymark View Post
    ....... I’ve tried feeding him multiples and while he’s coil around the second, he just ends up leaving him there...
    Quote Originally Posted by nymark View Post
    Mulitples in one feeding does not work. How often do you think I can saftely feed my Ball small mice? Daily, every few days or weekly? Thanks!
    So you have tried to wait until he has completely finished the first one before offering the second? I took your first post to mean you were offering the multiples at the same time rather than one after the other.

If he won't eat more than one mouse at a sitting then I would say you really shouldn't feed any more than once in a 3 day period - preferably 5.

If that means throwing out the mice then I would probably just do so.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    If he only takes one per sitting, I would either throw out the mice or try to give them to a petstore (might exchange them for a few live or frozen bigger ones?)
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

Thanks

No one likes the mouse burrito idea? lol

But you should be feeding him around once a week, a meal that is as wide around as the widest part of the snake.

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Rather than throw them out, offer them to a pet store or on craigslist, someone else with a snake or raw fed cat/ferret could use them I'm sure.

Thanks
    Or you can ad another baby Ball to the collection..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast