Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,848

0 members and 2,848 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Hybrid View

Thanks

Mice on corncob bedding

Anyone kept their feeders on corn cob bedding. I am tired of the dusty pine shaving and am trying to think oif things to change over to. Any other suggestions would be appreciated also. Thanks
    Too many snakes to list. Ball pythons, Gtp's and Boa's. It easier to say it that way.

Thanks

Re: Mice on corncob bedding

i had feeder rats on it and i really liked that there was no dust & no pee spots on the bottom of the tank so it was absorbing pee very well. there was also no smell even with having 5 rats in the tank at one time.
    i'd give it a 10 on a 1-10 scale but...i wouldnt use it for a pet cuz i cant imagine the stuff is comfortable on little feet long term.

my current collection
    1.2 kiddos
    1.0 better half
    0.1 mojave ball python (Nyx)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa (Hemera)
    1.0 Eastern Box turtle
    3.4.? rats (? = litter coming any day now)
    0.1 dutch rabbit (Lucy)

my "future hopefuls"
    0.0.1 pied cockatiel 0.0.1 white bellied caique 0.0.2 guinea pigs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mommanessy247 For This Useful Post:

Clint Bundy (05-14-2011)

Thanks
    I have heard issues with it being too try for rats who can end up with feet or tail sores but I don't have personal recommendations soley because it makes me sneeze like crazy...I think that is a personal allergy issue though lol.

I am a fan of the unscented paper pellet litter you can get in the cat section (and sometimes small animal section) of stores like petco or petsmart. Easy to clean up, keeps smell down considerably, and lasts longer than wood shavings or paper crumbles.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anatopism For This Useful Post:

Clint Bundy (05-14-2011)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I keep my ferrets on corn cob. Actually, the whole bottom of the cage is corn cob. I do like it because it's very absorbant. As for odor control, well, not the best, but it works ok. I just like it, because I can dump a 20-30lb in the bottom, and spot clean for a month before having to totally clean the bottom and replace.
    I use it under my drop cages on rabbits and in my chinchilla litterpans as well. Degu's and gerbils, well, that doesnt work, they eat it!
    However, it's only cost effective if you buy in major bulk. I buy a storeuse box of 80lb. It's literally the same cost as retail packaging on the 40lb bags.

Have you considered pine pellets? They work real well, the swell and break into sawdust when they get soiled. But, without the dust....

Thanks
    A really great and fairly cheap bedding is yesterday's news. It's recycled newspaper pellets. Very absorbent, and keeps odor to minimum. I use this with my ferrets and feeders. No dust fairly cheap and ordor control. I like it.
    I used to use the corncobs bedding. I hated how it fell through the scooper and there was an enormous mess every day.

Thanks

Re: Mice on corncob bedding

Quote Originally Posted by Homegrownscales View Post
    A really great and fairly cheap bedding is yesterday's news. It's recycled newspaper pellets. Very absorbent, and keeps odor to minimum. I use this with my ferrets and feeders. No dust fairly cheap and ordor control. I like it.
    I used to use the corncobs bedding. I hated how it fell through the scooper and there was an enormous mess every day.
    we just switched to yesterday's news for our pet rats and we love it already. Sometimes it kinda smells like horse feed (i dont know why lol) but other than that it works great to control odor.
    0.1 normal - Constantine, 0.1 Spider - Lilu
    3.0 doggies -Charlie (rottweiler), Luke (golden retriever), Dallas (german shepherd)
    1.0 Betta fish - Norris
    1.0 Rat - Forrest (R.I.P Mook and Milo)
    1.0 frenchman