Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,127

1 members and 3,126 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: head up?

Thanks

head up?

So my pueblan milk snake likes to burrow and sometimes its got its head up against the glass, sometimes it also contorts itself in a coil and has its head up. I dont think its an RI because the temps are about 80 and the humidity is 25-50% depending on how recently the cage was misted. It never stays at 25 for more than a short period of time (maybe a half hour, if that) im just curious what you guys think it might be? She also hasnt fed the last two weeks. Had her since christmas and always done great. Jus shed three weeks ago full shed so she seems healthy, maybe im missing something?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts
    Can you grab a picture of what shes doing so we can better understand? My Pueblans will stay in their hides and just poke their heads out and kind of "raise" them so they look like a Cobra, which is them telling me they are hungry (which I then offer their food which they destroy!). There is neurological problems out there, and if the snake is looking straight up it could be a symptom known as Star Gazing, in which cause if your snake is "coiling" in an uncontrolable way, you may have to consider the possibility of something called IBD or Inconclusive Body Disorder.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

Thanks

Re: head up?

Just went and checjed but shes hiding. I will try to get one soon. Keep an eye on the thread incase i can get a picture. On a different note, i thought only boas and pythons could get ibd. Or is it just that you cant cure it in them?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts
    It's not documented as IBD in colubrids, and is only known to exist in its disease state in Pythons and Boas. But there has been second hand keeper reports of owners showing colubrids with signs of IBD. Again, second hand keeper reports, not real scientific theory or documentation! Just keep in mind that diseases can evolve and can learn to effect different organisms, so nothing is ever out of the question until proven otherwise on a case by case basis.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"