Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,135

1 members and 3,134 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Shipping from US to Canada

Can someone point me to the process? I have a customer who wants me to ship a few BP from USA to Canada and I want to know how this process works and if it is worth the time.

BPs Currently 23 total
    1.6.0 Normals, 1.0.0 66% poss het pied, 2.5.0 Yellow Belly, 1.0.0 Blonde Pastel, 1.0.0 Mojave, 0.1.0 Lemon Blast, 1.0.0 Albino, 0.1.0 100% het albino, 1.0.0 Spider, 1.1.0 Het Caramel Albino

Thanks

Re: Shipping from US to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by derrabe View Post
    Can someone point me to the process? I have a customer who wants me to ship a few BP from USA to Canada and I want to know how this process works and if it is worth the time.
    It can be a very expensive and time consuming process.

The first thing you need to do is get an Import/Export license. After you have the license you need to apply for CITES export permits for the total number of animals you have. All of that costs money.

Once you have your license and the CITES you will need to arrange shipping through an airline and you will have to take the animals to a designated port in your region. You can't ship from all airports. There is a Fish & Wildlife inspection and there are very specific rules for how animals must be packaged for shipping.

It is a bureaucratic process, for sure, but if the size of the order is sufficient ($$$) it can be worth the pain. The costs associated with the export can be significant; licenses, permits, inspection fees, travel, airline charges, VAT (taxes), etc. It is pretty much expected that all of those costs will be paid by the person to whom the animals are being shipped. They need to be prepared for that.

Unfortunately, because of the costs, the paperwork and the effort involved, most people don't bother trying to ship to other countries. Even some of the larger breeders choose to go through brokers rather than get involved in the process.

Regards,
    Colin Weaver
    East Coast Reptile Breeders
    http://www.ballpythonbreeder.com/
    Email: colin@ballpythonbreeder.com
    Phone: 757-572-1987 (Call or Text)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColinWeaver For This Useful Post:

derrabe (04-12-2011),Simple Man (04-12-2011)

Thanks
    Thank you for the info that is what i figured I just wanted to know out of my own curiousity

BPs Currently 23 total
    1.6.0 Normals, 1.0.0 66% poss het pied, 2.5.0 Yellow Belly, 1.0.0 Blonde Pastel, 1.0.0 Mojave, 0.1.0 Lemon Blast, 1.0.0 Albino, 0.1.0 100% het albino, 1.0.0 Spider, 1.1.0 Het Caramel Albino

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On top of what Colin said Delta Dash has to come inspect your place to make sure you are shipping what you say..then once you're approved for that you need to get vet certification as to the health of the animals. Then you can start the shipping process.. its a PITA for anything under a couple of grand worth of snakes.
    When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

Thanks
    For small export orders we use brokers that do regular exports. I send folks to Dynasty Reptiles, Ballroom Pythons South, or Alex Hue Reptiles. The customer can prearrange the export shipping details with those guys, then make the purchase and I ship it to the broker, who then arranges the export transport.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

Re: Shipping from US to Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn@SYR View Post
    For small export orders we use brokers that do regular exports. I send folks to Dynasty Reptiles, Ballroom Pythons South, or Alex Hue Reptiles. The customer can prearrange the export shipping details with those guys, then make the purchase and I ship it to the broker, who then arranges the export transport.
    Just remember that in order to do it legally, you still have to have an export license and the animals still have to be shipped under your CITES permit. As plenty others have stated, it is costly to ship international. I use a broker as well to do my shipping, and after his fee, the freight, the USFWS Inspection fee, box cost, FedEx shipping to the broker, the health certificates and the CITES and export license costs factored in, it generally runs between $1200 and $1400 to get a shipment out. As has also been mentioned, this does not include the VAT tax that the recipient will pay when he picks the animals up.

Hope that helps,
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog