Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,343

0 members and 1,343 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

What noises to Ball Pythons make?

I know they can hiss but I think another strange noise is coming from the tank. It sounds like a sneeze or squill. What would that be. There are no live rodents in my house and they just ate tonight.

I do have two house together in a 75 gallon tank with about 6 hides and two water dishes.

What other sounds to Ball pythons make besides hissing?

Thanks

Re: What noises to Ball Pythons make?

I won't say anything as far as your housing goes, but I reckon the sound you're hearing may be your snakes passing gas. I know constantine's sound like someone sat on a small whoopie cushion lol
    0.1 normal - Constantine, 0.1 Spider - Lilu
    3.0 doggies -Charlie (rottweiler), Luke (golden retriever), Dallas (german shepherd)
    1.0 Betta fish - Norris
    1.0 Rat - Forrest (R.I.P Mook and Milo)
    1.0 frenchman

Thanks
    I know the housing is not preferred. We have a rack set up and ready to go just waiting on the thermostat to come in. Currently it is on the way and about 60 miles away.

Thanks

Sounds like you might have an upper respiratory issue. That causes a buildup if mucus in the mouth, throat and lungs. Wheezing and sneezing noises are some of the warning signs. Does he have any bubbles around his mouth or nose? Any excess saliva? What are the temps/humidity?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to aalomon For This Useful Post:

MoshBalls (04-05-2011)

Thanks
    we have three and I haven't noticed any of those signs. Humidity is right around 40 and temp ranges from 80-85, with warmer basking spots. We just moved them all to the rack today. I will keep an eye out though. I read that frequent Yawning is also a sign.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MoshBalls View Post
    we have three and I haven't noticed any of those signs. Humidity is right around 40 and temp ranges from 80-85, with warmer basking spots. We just moved them all to the rack today. I will keep an eye out though. I read that frequent Yawning is also a sign.
    I'd say definitely don't rule RI out yet, it's possible that it's just in the beginning stages, you never know. However, it is also quite possible that the combination of both being housed communally and in such a large enclosure (although I understand that's the best way to go if you must house communally, don't change it) could be causing stress, and I've heard balls make that stress noise quite a few times. It sounds almost like a cricket chirping sort of, right? It could just be that the snake is stressed so he's making that noise.

Again, keep an eye out for RI's anyways, and if the noise stops after the separation then you'll know that's probably all it was -- stress.
    Last edited by Alexandra V; 04-04-2011 at 10:08 PM.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Registered User Drumsinthenight.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Hiss slither slither hiss hiss.:d

Thanks
    I reread the part of the The Complete Ball Python Guide about respiratory infections today. I did notice Les come out of one hid and arch his back and yawn today. The tubs make it much easier to view the behaviors. According to the book that could be a sign. I check the mouth and didn't see excessive fluids as it indicates is a sever respiratory infections. The book did say open mess tops can cause infections and even though 1/2 of it was covered with the glass lid and the other part had some aluminum foil I think I that could be part of the cause.

According to the book it said watch to make sure it doesn't get worse and clean the cage daily, especially the water dish but usually at this stage correcting the environment and proactive can correct the problem. However if it appears to worsen take the animal to the vet.

I am also going to keep a close eye on the other two especially Charlotte (spider) who was sharing the enclosure with him. I hope he turns out ok.

Thanks
    If you're worried about a poss RI. Bump the hotspot temp a couple degrees. Like from 92.f to 94.f. I don't think you have an RI but its something to take watch of. Mine will push their hides and water bowls around in the tubs and it kind of makes a squelching sound. Or squeak etc.

Thanks
    I have been watching them closely and I haven't heard the sound since we moved them to the tubs. Just to be safe I have been cleaning the tubs, hides etc. daily with bleach. They all still look good and healthy. I have also added sphagnum moss hides for added humidity in addition to a hot hide and cold hide if they chose to use them.