Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,816

1 members and 2,815 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

How fast do rat snakes grow? and aggressiveness experience?

So, those of you have own Texas Rat Snakes - how fast do they grow? Twix is about the size of a big pencil right now, is the best way I can describe it. I'm just itching for him to put some size on. (Less games of "find the snake in the bedding" I hope) I'm sure he's very young - a few months, I'm guessing? How much will he grow by the time he's, say, a year old?

Also, very unrelated - I see a lot of posts about how Texas Rats are supposedly pretty feisty and a bit nippy. Twix has been amazingly chill, though - what kind of experiences have ya'll had with them? I'd love to get another (I'm hooked), and I'm slightly curious if I just got lucky with this guy, or if it's really a snake-to-snake basis when it comes to aggression. (not that I'm bothered by getting bitten...especially at this size! :-P)
    Texas Rat Snake - Twix 0.0.1
    Red Tail Boa - Rose 0.1
    Shepherd mix - Simone
    American Bulldog mix - Maggie
    Crazy feline - Bones

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I don't know about growth, but my Lucy Tex rat Daemon was kind of flightly when I got him but still okay. After about a month he became extremely aggressive to the point where opening his bin lid gets hissy, puffs, opens his mouth and gapes, strikes at anything that moves, and if I want to move him, either I dump his whole tub or I get bit. Bit multiple times, actually.

He's a small 2009, as he gets so aggressive he hasn't been willing to eat whenever I try offering prey. I saw your other post and I think Daemon is 2-3 times the size of yours.

The worse bite I got from him was when he thought I was food. Not fun.
    http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...you-taste-good.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of western rats. The only reason I would buy another is if it was a nice sized adult and I got to see it in person and it was like a corn snake. Hand tame Blue Beauties (eastern rat) are something I'm looking to producing in the future.

Thanks
    Hmmm, ok. I'll likely see how Twix acts as he gets older before I make any plans to get another...the lucy tex rat was what I was wanting, too! So I guess it's just wait and see, and then decide.
    Texas Rat Snake - Twix 0.0.1
    Red Tail Boa - Rose 0.1
    Shepherd mix - Simone
    American Bulldog mix - Maggie
    Crazy feline - Bones

Thanks
    I don't know how fast Texas rats grow, but most ratsnakes are good feeders so I'd assume he'll be grown up within two years. I've only ever heard of defensive and/or aggressive Texas rats, but there could always be exceptions. Without stressing him, try to get him used to being handled, as this will make life easier for both of you.

Thanks
    I got my first rat snake about 6 months to 9 months ago. I feed him right at 2 pinkies a week. I havent done exact measurements but im guessing he is a little over around a foot. He was tame at first, then got skitish and is now calm. From my brief history and slight knowledge i know they have aggression issues but you take the good with the bad. Its all about handling and care of them. Good luck!

I did have a adult Tex Rat that was bought from Siegel Reptiles out of FL for a short while. He was around 4 foot and the most agressive i have ever had, striked at the tank just for walking by.
    Chris
    2.0 normal BP (Bob and George)
    1.0 Het Orange Ghost (Jerry)
    0.1 Pastel BP (elizabeth)
    0.1 Ghana BP (mary)
    1.0 AZ King
    1.0 leucistic rat (Joe)
    1.0 Beardie (Godzilla)