Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ













» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 43,312
Threads: 196,458
Posts: 2,062,005
Top Poster: JLC (31,041)
Welcome to our newest member, DanielG1980

» August 2014

S M T W T F S
27 28 29 30 31 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 1 2 3 4 5 6
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    BPnet Veteran MS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-13-2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    336
    Thanks
    186
    Thanked 54 Times in 48 Posts

    Het x Het breeding

    I was just wondering what my chances will be when breeding hets. Love to have a pied, clown, genetic stripe......but I'll probably have to go the het route. Any advice?

    Thanks,
    Matt

  2. #2
    BPnet Veteran spitzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-14-2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,418
    Thanks
    389
    Thanked 425 Times in 317 Posts
    Images: 30

    Re: Het x Het breeding


  3. The Following User Says Thank You to spitzu For This Useful Post:

    MS2 (03-26-2011)

  4. #3
    BPnet Veteran jjmitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-08-2009
    Location
    Clovis NM USA
    Posts
    1,299
    Thanks
    93
    Thanked 299 Times in 268 Posts

    Re: Het x Het breeding

    Hets are a great way to get started... and lets face it its more affordable... I would suggest to buy het females and a visual male.... or vice versa if you prefer... you will more than make your money back in the first breeding just based on the fact that all offspring will be 100% het... not trying to sell 66% hets plus the face you will double the amount of visuals you produce...Just a few things to think about

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to jjmitchell For This Useful Post:

    MS2 (03-26-2011)

  6. #4
    BPnet Veteran
    Join Date
    11-13-2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,499
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 227 Times in 170 Posts
    Images: 12

    Re: Het x Het breeding

    The 25% chance is per egg, the more eggs you get the better your chance of hitting at least 1. The formula for the odds of hitting at least one homozygous from a pair of hets is 1 - 0.75^N where N is the number of eggs in the clutch. So if you can hatch a 6 egg clutch your chance of getting one or more homozygous is 82%. It never goes to 100% but the more eggs the better your chance.

  7. #5
    Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-12-2010
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    1,819
    Thanks
    757
    Thanked 602 Times in 473 Posts
    Images: 73
    As others have said breeding Het x Het you will have a 25% chance per egg of producing a visual morph.

    The problem though with Het x Het breeding is besides the 25% that end up visual the other 75% will only be possible hets, you will not be able to tell which of the 75% of normal looking offspring got the Het passed to them and which didn't, so you would pretty much have to sell them at normal prices.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver


    Check out my Photoblog!

  8. #6
    Registered User Amon Ra Reptiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-29-2010
    Location
    New Concord, Ohio
    Posts
    947
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 245 Times in 174 Posts
    I agree try to buy your het females first that will give you an extra year to pick up a homozygous male a's he can breed much younger. That improves your odds to 50% being homozygous plus your normal looking offspring will be 100% het and you can recoup your expenses by selling those. Any possible hets will probably sell at or close to normal prices.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Amon Ra Reptiles For This Useful Post:

    Adam Chandler (03-27-2011)

  10. #7
    BPnet Veteran Matt K's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-12-2009
    Posts
    573
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 178 Times in 132 Posts
    If what you're saying is that you want to produce a snake that exhibits all three of those traits from breeding two Piebald, Genetic Stripe, Clown hets, than your chances are 1 in 64. But as was said, if you just want one of each from breeding hets of each, your chance each time is 1 in 4. Either way, good luck!!

    Cheers,
    -Matt
    Last edited by Matt K; 03-27-2011 at 02:19 PM.


    R.I.P. Steve, I'll miss you more than you could have ever known. I love you.

  11. #8
    Registered User LeviBP's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-24-2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    345
    Thanks
    103
    Thanked 41 Times in 39 Posts
    Images: 1
    Take into account, that on any single strand of DNA, there are corresponding alleles.
    (Het. Pieds in this instance)
    For Hets, their alleles will look like (P for Pied)
    0-P
    This^ will give you Het, and not Pied since the Pied gene is recessive; it requires a full allele (P-P) to become a phenotype.
    So when you breed 0-P to 0-P you should get, 1 normal, 2 Hets., and 1 Pied out of four eggs. This is all theoretical and it is possible to pull an entire clutch of pieds, or entire clutch normals.
    Just like rolling a four sided dye every time an egg is hatched. So, every egg has a 25% chance of being normal, 50% chance of being Het. Pied, and 25% chance of being Pied.
    Last edited by LeviBP; 03-27-2011 at 03:17 PM.


  12. #9
    BPnet Veteran MS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-13-2010
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    336
    Thanks
    186
    Thanked 54 Times in 48 Posts

    Re: Het x Het breeding

    Well I'm not to worried about breeding hets now. My plans have changed,this weekend I picked up a female Caramel Albino

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1